Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:04:26 am

Author Topic: 2018 Monash New Student Thread  (Read 11320 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: 2018 New Student Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:57:47 pm »
+6
Really great thread, VanillaRice. +1

They added a small rock climbing wall next to the gym at Peninsula with the 2016 SSAF - never seen it been used once

They have a rock climbing wall on the Malaysian campus, too, but it's used all the time!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:20 am »
+6
Thank you so much!!!!!! Will be very helpful for this year and the years to come ;D
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:04 am »
+3
Thank you so much!!!!!! Will be very helpful for this year and the years to come ;D
Glad to hear you found it useful  :D
Congratulations on your course offer, and welcome to Monash  ;D
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

DailyInsanity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Northcote HIgh School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: 2018 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 02:18:02 pm »
+1
Hey, Thank you for posting this! Helped a lot

I have a question regarding applying for Credit for certain units. I did 2 units of chemistry at Latrobe during year 12 - and I am going to apply for credit for the equivalent Monash Chemistry units, that will then satisfy the prerequisites needed to do a bunch of other subjects I want to do. However I need to choose units for first year by Jan 29th, and I don't think the credit application would be processed by then. Would I be fine if I chose some units - and then after the application is processed and I receive credit (hopefully :)), change most of my units to the subjects I want to do in light of fulfilling the pre-reqs. Many Thanks!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 02:26:17 pm »
+1
Hey, Thank you for posting this! Helped a lot

I have a question regarding applying for Credit for certain units. I did 2 units of chemistry at Latrobe during year 12 - and I am going to apply for credit for the equivalent Monash Chemistry units, that will then satisfy the prerequisites needed to do a bunch of other subjects I want to do. However I need to choose units for first year by Jan 29th, and I don't think the credit application would be processed by then. Would I be fine if I chose some units - and then after the application is processed and I receive credit (hopefully :)), change most of my units to the subjects I want to do in light of fulfilling the pre-reqs. Many Thanks!
Hey DailyInsanity, glad to hear this was useful! :)

What is generally recommended by Monash is that you enrol in units assuming you won't get credit (even if it's likely that you will). I'm not sure enrolling in units is necessary to accept your offer, but I would do it just in case. The main thing is that you can change your units anytime before the census date (31/3/2018) without penalty. Either way, WES won't let you enrol in units you haven't completed the prerequisites for (so you need credit approved first).

I would try to send in the credit application ASAP (either via email on ask.monash or visiting your faculty office). Things you will need are: a certified copy/original of your academic transcript and the unit handbook entries for your units. Hopefully RMIT sent you an copy of your academic transcript after you finished your extension subject. More details can be found on the form on the page I linked :)

The main reason why I recommend sending in your credit application ASAP is that if it isn't approved in time for Jan 29, Jan 30 is the date that Allocate+ closes for preference entry (for your timetable). If you get credit after Jan 30, you will have to wait until Allocate+ opens again in adjustment mode. In this mode, classes will be first come first served. A pretty good reason to get your credit application ASAP in my opinion!

I understand that your course information session isn't until next week, so if you have any other questions regarding credit applications, feel free to ask here!

Good luck, and hope this helped :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:37:06 pm by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16

DailyInsanity

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Northcote HIgh School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »
+1
Wow! Thank you for such a quick reply!

Do you think it would be possible for Monash to check for evidence/grades through VTAC since it contributed to my VCE? (Instead of having to get an academic transcript) Also, what's are unit handbook entries  :P - are they the descriptions etc...of the units I've done - from the Latrobe handbook of units? Thanks again!

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:47 pm »
Wow! Thank you for such a quick reply!

Do you think it would be possible for Monash to check for evidence/grades through VTAC since it contributed to my VCE? (Instead of having to get an academic transcript) Also, what's are unit handbook entries  :P - are they the descriptions etc...of the units I've done - from the Latrobe handbook of units? Thanks again!
Unfortunately, I think you'll require a copy of your academic transcript. The form says they are required for all units not completed at Monash. I was in a similiar situation, and completed a university extension subject at UniMelb in Year 12, and my faculty required my academic transcript as well. Of course, you could always ask and check by calling your faculty directly (phone number should be on Google somewhere :P).

And yes, the unit handbook is exactly what you said. :) It should have all the information about the unit content, assessments, textbooks, etc.

VCE 2015-16