Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:05 pm

Author Topic: how to prepare for year 12?  (Read 1239 times)

simear02

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
how to prepare for year 12?
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:32:33 pm »
hey guys!!

I'm currently in year 11 and doing okay but I'm worried about next year and don't know what to expect. does anybody here have any advice for how to prepare for year 12? I usually just read through notes at the moment to study, any advice?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: how to prepare for year 12?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:34:08 pm »
+7
Hey Simear,

It's great that you're looking into this now - year 11 is a fantastic time to figure out what works and doesn't in terms of your personal studying :) Reading notes can be a quick of gaining some understanding but generally it doesn't prepare you well for assessments as it's easy to skim over the words rather than truly understanding the content and most people find it highly ineffective. If you want to continue reading notes I recommend that you ensure you do it with something else.

Examples of this include:

- after reading a page explain it to someone. This could be a parent, friend or even a pet - the important thing is that you try to teach it. This helps you remember the content more strongly and can identify gaps in your understanding
- ask questions on sticky notes and look up the answers or ask a teacher (or us) to clarify what the answers are - this helps you engage with the content more deeply and throw more meaning behind it.
- create diagrams and memory aids for what you've learnt (memory aids could include mnemonics, flashcards, and mind maps)
- complete related practice questions (this is one of my favourites). Generally people leave practice questions until after they have learnt the content but I found that this strategy worked well enough for me that I would also do practice questions before I learnt the content. Practice questions are great because they help you understand how you're likely to perform on exams and tests, they force you to realise if you don't understand something, and they help with your memory and understanding of the content.

My favourite study methods are teaching others and testing myself, but some people find that other methods work better for them so I recommend you use this time to experiment with what works best for you. If you want to get more ideas, we also have articles on studying for QCE which you can find here

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions! :)

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: how to prepare for year 12?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:14:50 pm »
+5
Great post by Bri MT above, make sure you take the time to read it! Lots of valuable stuff I wish I has known back in Yr11!

I really wish I used Yr11 to try out different study techniques. It would have save me a TON of time! Try different study techniques, and use tests to sort of see how effective it is. For me personally, I can't stand making notes with bright, beautiful colours to be honest. I start, but I immediately get bored and do something else. The best thing for me is to summarise the topic I am studying into 1-2 pages, no matter how big it is, and then commence questions. I usually make questions for myself based on the topic, which I try to answer periodically.

However, you might actually find summarising to be effective and getting you the marks! That's totally fine as well. The best thing to do would be to try out different techniques and see what works for you.

Saying that, watch these few videos to get a few initial ideas on how to study!

Hope that helps!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!