Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:46:19 am

Author Topic: The Motorcycle Thread  (Read 5193 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
The Motorcycle Thread
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:43:19 pm »
+1
This is a thread for all two wheel lovers out there on ATAR Notes!
This is a place where you can disscuss anything to do with motorbikes like your favourite bike(s), riding tips, mechanical questions, good places to go riding etc! ANYTHING AT ALL
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: The Motorcycle Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:19:41 pm »
Good idea! I've been riding since I was a kid, as a close family friend sold and rode motorbikes, so I grew up around it. I learned to ride on their daughter's (a year younger than me, mind you) 2002 Yamaha Virago 250. Over a decade later, and I'm hopefully going for my bike L's soon. I've been practising on my brother's 2011 Aquila Hyosung (Classic, 647cc) in the meantime, which has been absolutely mad.

Tell me a bit about yourself, Mada :) What do you like to ride? Any of your tips?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »
+1
Good idea! I've been riding since I was a kid, as a close family friend sold and rode motorbikes, so I grew up around it. I learned to ride on their daughter's (a year younger than me, mind you) 2002 Yamaha Virago 250. Over a decade later, and I'm hopefully going for my bike L's soon. I've been practising on my brother's 2011 Aquila Hyosung (Classic, 647cc) in the meantime, which has been absolutely mad.

Tell me a bit about yourself, Mada :) What do you like to ride? Any of your tips?
Dude, thats heaps good!
My dad races motorcycles with a club called BEARS so i've also grown up around it
My first ever ride was on a honda CRF 100 in a friends paddock. These days i ride a Honda XR250 on the dirt.
On the road my first ever bike was a Ducati 600 Monster (Dad and I love ducatis). It was an absaloute beast to ride, but it was horrible for a first time learner bike on the road (thats my advice, don't get a big bike for your first one, its better to learn well on something small). It was just too heavy and powerful for me given my fairly limited experiences on the road.
These days, i ride a KTM Duke 200. Small, light and goes alright. Really nippy and accelerates well. Handles pretty good through corners too.
I also recconmend ride days at your local racetrack, they're a great way to learn how your bike goes without all the road hazards and speed restrictions!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »
+1
Dude, thats heaps good!
My dad races motorcycles with a club called BEARS so i've also grown up around it
My first ever ride was on a honda CRF 100 in a friends paddock. These days i ride a Honda XR250 on the dirt.
On the road my first ever bike was a Ducati 600 Monster (Dad and I love ducatis). It was an absaloute beast to ride, but it was horrible for a first time learner bike on the road (thats my advice, don't get a big bike for your first one, its better to learn well on something small). It was just too heavy and powerful for me given my fairly limited experiences on the road.
These days, i ride a KTM Duke 200. Small, light and goes alright. Really nippy and accelerates well. Handles pretty good through corners too.
I also recconmend ride days at your local racetrack, they're a great way to learn how your bike goes without all the road hazards and speed restrictions!

Oh, that's pretty mad, I know BEARS! Given you have experience on the road and the dirt, do you have a preference for one?

Definitely going to go for a ride day at my local racetrack. I've never been on a track -- I've always been on dirt or roads, so there are limitations there. Feel free to share a photo of your bike! :D

My brother and I just acquired a 1999 Yamaha DT175 for free. It's not working -- parts are bust, and it's been stored for the 5 years in the outdoors with only a small tarp for protection. We're going to try and fix it up over the coming months and use it for a trail bike!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »
+2
Oh, that's pretty mad, I know BEARS! Given you have experience on the road and the dirt, do you have a preference for one?

Definitely going to go for a ride day at my local racetrack. I've never been on a track -- I've always been on dirt or roads, so there are limitations there. Feel free to share a photo of your bike! :D

My brother and I just acquired a 1999 Yamaha DT175 for free. It's not working -- parts are bust, and it's been stored for the 5 years in the outdoors with only a small tarp for protection. We're going to try and fix it up over the coming months and use it for a trail bike!
Definitely try and restore it!!   8)
I'll definitely share some pics of my bike once i get home!

And in terms of preference, it really depends. I do enjoy good road trips on my bike on lovely roads with tight corners and the whole lot, but sometimes i also like bashing around on some trail or in a paddock on my dirt bike. So it really comes down to my mood on a given day  :)

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 09:05:20 pm »
+3
Go on, Mada, tell us* about your new bike!

*by 'us', I mean 'me'

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 09:54:48 pm »
+1
Go on, Mada, tell us* about your new bike!

*by 'us', I mean 'me'
Well, its a little 200 ( i know its a bit of of a small engine) but hear me out:
third party rego per year is $400 total, economy is 2.5Litres/100km
It's light as, so you can throw it round all the time and still hold it up
It handles really well in corners and in tight areas, it looks decent
and it has a surprising amount of grunt for a 200cc engine
Couldn't be much happier!  8)