Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:17:22 am

Author Topic: Picking vce subjects for scaling?  (Read 1525 times)  Share 

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Picking vce subjects for scaling?
« on: September 14, 2019, 02:13:51 pm »
I heard some people pick subjects in VCE purely for the scaling. I also heard a lot of people say its wrong to do it that way (I agree), but I asked people for their opinions based on my curiosity.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Picking vce subjects for scaling?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »
+2
Unless you are interested in the subject (then the scaling is just an added bonus), don't.
You are more likely to do well in a subject you have an interest in, rather than one you choose purely based on the scaling. The level of scaling per year is not guaranteed (while trends in some subjects are clearly obvious and have no signs of changing, it's not a wise idea at all to put all your energy into what scales high what scales low etc).

Particularly for Maths I think it is obvious how the scaling happens each year but I'd be addressing prerequisites for uni courses then based on interest. Scaling should not be the #1 consideration (or even second) regardless of circumstances.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:19:56 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Unless you are interested in the subject (then the scaling is just an added bonus), don't.
You are more likely to do well in a subject you have an interest in, rather than one you choose purely based on the scaling. The level of scaling per year is not guaranteed (while trends in some subjects are clearly obvious and have no signs of changing, it's not a wise idea at all to put all your energy into what scales high what scales low etc).
Thanks for replying but what if you like the subject, BUT not that good at it
Would it still be a good idea to do it?

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:40:10 pm »
Thanks for replying but what if you like the subject, BUT not that good at it
Would it still be a good idea to do it?
I would say, given that you have interest for  that subject and assuming that you are willing to put in your  utmost dedication, you should be fine.

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 04:16:38 pm »
Scaling is designed precisely so that students are not advantaged / disadvantaged by choice of subject. If you choose a subject that scales up, you are competing against a stronger cohort, hence will find it more difficult to achieve a certain raw score. If you choose a subject that scales down, you are competing against a weaker cohort, hence will find it easier to achieve a certain raw score.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:10:08 pm »
This clears up all question I have about scaling, thank you.
Was there anyone at your school back then that picked subjects SOLELY for the scaling? How did they go?

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 05:31:44 pm »
+1
I would say, given that you have interest for  that subject and assuming that you are willing to put in your  utmost dedication, you should be fine.
I really am interested in math, it is where my heart belongs.