Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:11:26 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231696 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3465 on: March 01, 2018, 10:46:38 pm »
Hey there,
Going back to Module B and critical study, are you allowed to include a bit of first-person in your response? Throughout prelim year, my teacher encouraged us to include how it influences our understanding because the question says 'your understanding' so I tend to regurgitate the sentence of 'this has impacted my understanding of *insert theme*'- is this looked down in Module B essays? I was going through some exemplar essays and they don't usually include first person.

Thanks in advance!

I'll throw a different perspective than SpanishPear (neither is better ;D) - I personally don't think Module B calls for first person language. To me, it tends to lessen the academic integrity of the work (it slips into colloquialism a bit), and you can imbue your personal viewpoint into an essay without saying "I" or "my."

This said, like, I've seen incredible essays that use first person - It's not going to make or break you either way that's for sure ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3466 on: March 02, 2018, 11:48:21 am »
+1
I'll throw a different perspective than SpanishPear (neither is better ;D) - I personally don't think Module B calls for first person language. To me, it tends to lessen the academic integrity of the work (it slips into colloquialism a bit), and you can imbue your personal viewpoint into an essay without saying "I" or "my."

This said, like, I've seen incredible essays that use first person - It's not going to make or break you either way that's for sure ;D

That's a fair point, I guess it comes down to personal preference, and how good you are at writing. I could never put in my personal voice without personal pronouns, but thats just me! I say whatever works for you @owidjaja :)

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3467 on: March 03, 2018, 10:46:53 am »
Hello,

I'm trying to write my creative and I'm having some trouble trying to describe my setting. The setting is a nursing home and I want to evoke a sense of sterility and uniformity. Could someone offer some ideas on imagery or whatnot? Thank you:)

theyam

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3468 on: March 03, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
+2
Hello,

I'm trying to write my creative and I'm having some trouble trying to describe my setting. The setting is a nursing home and I want to evoke a sense of sterility and uniformity. Could someone offer some ideas on imagery or whatnot? Thank you:)

theyam

Hi...

Not completely sure if this will be helpful, but maybe think along the lines of the furnishings of each room being the same. E.g. same faded yellow curtains, corner table and painting on the wall. Or it could be that everyone is giving the same bland meals regularly, e.g. soup on tuesdays/thursdays, casserole on mondays...

Perhaps if you're going for more along the lines of uniformity leading to a loss of individual identity, maybe the patients/clients are given a number, so the workers refer to them as numbers, rather than their names...

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3469 on: March 03, 2018, 01:20:09 pm »
Hey :D

We have received an assignment for Mod A- comparative essay between Richard 3 and Looking for Richard
And this is our question...
How effectively is the value of humanism and morality revealed to audiences through the composer's representation of The Vice?

I was thinking of answering this thematically...would this be the best option? if so.. what themes would best link to humanism and morality (Free will vs. Providentialism, conscience, power, gender- i am thinking of using Act 1 Scene 1/2, Act 5 Scene 2/3- but am not really sure if these link??) so...any help would be greatly appreciated!! ;D
Also, if there's a better structure...i will be glad of suggestions ;D

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3470 on: March 03, 2018, 01:45:17 pm »
Hey :D

We have received an assignment for Mod A- comparative essay between Richard 3 and Looking for Richard
And this is our question...
How effectively is the value of humanism and morality revealed to audiences through the composer's representation of The Vice?

I was thinking of answering this thematically...would this be the best option? if so.. what themes would best link to humanism and morality (Free will vs. Providentialism, conscience, power, gender- i am thinking of using Act 1 Scene 1/2, Act 5 Scene 2/3- but am not really sure if these link??) so...any help would be greatly appreciated!! ;D
Also, if there's a better structure...i will be glad of suggestions ;D

Hi...

I am also studying these texts for Mod A atm as well!

I think that structuring the essay thematically will work well, but with this, it would be a good idea to have an integrated response for each body paragraph. This will make your comparisons between the two texts really 'shine'.

Also, it is important to refer to the context of each text. Remember that 'humanism' is relating to the Renaissance philosophy involving the rejection of religious beliefs in place for 'choosing one's own destiny'. This can be reflected upon in Richard III and compared with the post-modern ideas in Looking for Richard.

Hope this is helpful!

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3471 on: March 03, 2018, 02:06:55 pm »
how much context do you have to put in your introduction for modA?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3472 on: March 03, 2018, 02:24:43 pm »
+1
Hey!
So the intro itself won't need much context included. But your body paragraphs should make multiple specific references to composers context and key values
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3473 on: March 03, 2018, 02:59:22 pm »
+1

Yep as above, though the best Mod A essays tend to integrate context into their main idea/thesis for the essay! So doing that would probably be a good way to ensure you are covering it properly as well ;D

Never.Give.Up

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #3474 on: March 03, 2018, 03:23:54 pm »
Yep as above, though the best Mod A essays tend to integrate context into their main idea/thesis for the essay! So doing that would probably be a good way to ensure you are covering it properly as well ;D

Hey ;D could u pls give an example of this?? ;)

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3475 on: March 03, 2018, 04:33:33 pm »
+1

Hi...

Here's an example for Richard III/Looking for Richard.

Say your body paragraph theme was about identity. You might include a quote from A1 S1, where Richard talks about his physical deformity as the basis for his villainy. Then you could compare the historical context of the implications of a physical deformity in the Renaissance period vs. in the 1990s (when Looking for Richard was composed), as well as comparing the general portrayal of identity in each.

Hopefully this is what Jamon meant!  :D

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3476 on: March 03, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »
+1

Here's an example from one of my essays to back up what Kauac said! :)

Shakespare’s use of enjambment and mid-line caesura during Brutus’ soliloquy illustrates the conflict between his loyalty to the dangerously ambitious Caesar and love for Rome. The doubts which plague Brutus’ decision mirror the political uncertainty in Elizabethan England at the time that Shakespeare wrote Julius Caesar as Elizabeth I’s death was nearing and there was no direct heir to the throne.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

cch1503

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3477 on: March 03, 2018, 07:35:32 pm »
I don't really know how ATAR notes works but hopefully I'm in the right place.

Hi, my name is Cecilia.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to take a look at my Advanced English essay on Hamlet? I have the intro and the first body paragraph written (and the beginning of my second body), but I would really appreciate some feedback! (I'm aiming to write about 800 words as I have to write this in an hour in an exam).

Here is the question:

“The time is out of joint. O cursed spite,
That ever I was born to set it right.”

Hamlet is a play about human frailty and loss.

Evaluate how the structural features of the revenge tragedy have been used to present the effect of human frailty and loss upon individuals and society.

Here is my writing so far:

William Shakespeare’s late 16th century, revenge tragedy Hamlet confronts the paradoxical nature of the human experience in that our weakness and incapacity to change our inherently futile endings and loss of dignity, is ultimately prompted by our futile attempts to legitimise the meaninglessness of our actions. The Elizabethan preoccupation of “the functions of conscience and especially its morbid preoccupation with past sins and omissions” (Reed, 1958) is evident through Shakespeare’s persistent use of Cartesian dualism across Hamlet’s soliloquies. Shakespeare’s characterisation of Hamlet as deflecting simultaneously undermines the legitimacy of Religion and a weak human tendency to be suppressed by imaginary barriers that we create, thus resulting in a loss of command over our own lives. The fragmentation presented in the Mousetrap Scene mirrors to the audience, the weakness of the human condition in that we question and delay action. Shakespeare epitomises the mystery of death and the afterlife through the skull and the Ghost, to reveal the infirmity of being human.

The pseudo-academic discussion between the Clowns within the Graveyard Scene simultaneously mocks the legitimacy of the Elizabethan monarchy in that their actions ultimately amount to nothing, and adds an element of comic relief to the play.
“Is she to be buried in Christian burial, when she wilfully seeks her own salvation?”
The pointlessness of the conversation in that they do not know what they’re talking about/assume Ophelia committed suicide explores the human limitations that we only have what we know, sign-ifying that we inevitably lose the ability to act reasonably. Hamlet’s weakness as a leader and a partner to Ophelia ultimately led to her demise, and a loss of sympathy from the audience towards Hamlet. Additionally, Shakespeare offers the audience insight into the mystery of the afterlife through the symbolism of the Ghost and the skull as the metaphysical and physical aspects of death.
“This visitation
Is but to whet thy almost blunted purpose”
The Ghost epitomises the metaphysical aspect of death concerning the eternal consequences of temporal causes, in this case, Hamlet’s inaction. Shakespeare utilises this to display the weakening effect of the human tendency to attempt to control our destinies. Shakespeare presents our subordinate state of being in that we are subject to supernatural otherness of the universe to unveil the frailty of the human condition and a lost sense of purpose.

The need to accept fate and the inevitable is presented to the audience through Hamlet’s fatal flaw of procrastination and his tendency to deflect the blame. This establishes his role as a tragic hero in that his downfall is one of indecisiveness and inaction.
“There is a divinity that shapes our ends, rough hue them how you will”

Hope you can help!
Thanks! :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3478 on: March 03, 2018, 08:40:14 pm »

Hey Cecilia!
You can post that here (https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?board=2579.0) and we'll try look at it soon for you :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3479 on: March 04, 2018, 06:39:09 pm »
how many quotes should you use in an integrated paragraph for mod A