Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:02:04 am

Author Topic: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student  (Read 38898 times)

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: Life of a Chronically Stressed HSC Student
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2020, 08:01:46 pm »
Oh no... *guilty face*

I swear I've been working on it :DDDDDDD

I'll do it... tomorrow!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2020, 08:31:18 pm »
+7
Week 9, Term 2

I was going to say that this week flew by... but then I realised that I've been saying that about every week this term lol. Nonetheless, IT FLEW BY. The BIG update of the week: WE GOT OUR TRIALS TIMETABLES! I'm a bit shook that we got it this early, before this term even ended. I remember the Year 12s last year only got their timetable a week before (rip for them am I right). For some reason, they've decided to move up trials by one week this year (BOOOOOO). I only have one double up, but even then I'm fine with it since I have a double up for HSC anyways, so in a way, it'll be practice for managing double exams lmao.

And now, subject updates!

History Extension
- I AM ABSOLUTELY EFFED FOR THIS SUBJECT ! ! ! 1! 1!
- It's not even my History Project I'm worried about... it's Trials. So... we haven't finished our case study, our teacher is going away for a while, there's only three lessons next term and then trials... someone tell me how this will be okay because I can't think of any way
- I love our class so much tho hehe it's so nice having a small class

Modern History
- We have our assessment on Monday! It's soooo soon but I don't feel ready at all :// I need to spend this weekend studying for the test
- Idk why but whenever I don't have the time to study, I think about when I do have the time to study and have a whole ass plan ready, but when it ACTUALLY comes to studying, I have no clue what to do ;;((

Legal Studies
- We're finishing up the contemporary issues for Family Law, so basically done with the syllabus.
- Hand in essay due next Friday: hopefully after my Modern assessment, I can just smash it out

Society and Culture
- I've just been working on my PIP for this week. I'm falling in love with my PIP the more I work on it!!!
- I can't wait until my PIP is finally finished. It's going to be SO MAGNIFICENT. MY BABY OF 9 MONTHS !!!

English
- We've been doing some Mod C work as well as Common Mod revision. I really enjoy both reading and writing in Mod C, but I will always despise how they test us on it. If it was weighted less, or perhaps they made the HSC Mod C component a hand in, I would enjoy it so much more.

Japanese
- We've just been doing practice in class since there's no more content. It's absolutely crazy how we finished the content only halfway through year 12.
- I still have no clue what's happening for the HSC oral exams??? Our teacher said he would update us but he hasn't...

I'm pretty sure everyone's end of term is pretty hectic right now, so good luck! Except for some people who have literally had no assessments for the last half of this term (I envy them SO MUCH).

Thanks for reading,
Alice
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:38:55 pm by alice343 »
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Viktoriak_

• MOTM: AUG 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2020, 03:44:05 pm »
+4
Idk why but whenever I don't have the time to study, I think about when I do have the time to study and have a whole ass plan ready, but when it ACTUALLY comes to studying, I have no clue what to do ;;((
I relate to this on another level!! When there's no time or I'm really busy, I get so excited for when I'll be able to study for hours and tick things off - then when that time comes around it's almost anticlimactic  :P

On the other hand, school seems pretty hectic for you atm! Tbh trials are around the corner, so what did we expect ahh. Good luck with all your remaining assessments!

Except for some people who have literally had no assessments for the last half of this term (I envy them SO MUCH).
hehe that's meee ;D
HSC '19: IPT
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2020, 06:28:42 pm »
+1
I relate to this on another level!! When there's no time or I'm really busy, I get so excited for when I'll be able to study for hours and tick things off - then when that time comes around it's almost anticlimactic  :P

On the other hand, school seems pretty hectic for you atm! Tbh trials are around the corner, so what did we expect ahh. Good luck with all your remaining assessments!
hehe that's meee ;D

Riiiighttt1!!!! I full procrastinate by making more aesthetic study schedules that I never stick to! Thanks, good luck to you too!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2020, 06:32:32 pm »
+1
I went to school today on my Senior Friday to see if I would be more productive. Verdict: I don't know. I mean, I worked on my PIP the whole day but I didn't actually end up writing that much. Most of my time spent was figuring out the fiddly footnoting styles and whatnot, asking my teachers questions, and finding websites that were blocked by school wifi. I did do a Japanese speaking sesh with my friends though, which was good practice! My S&C teacher's birthday is next Friday, and I promised him that I'd give him a PIP draft for his birthday  ;D I don't wanna let him down so I MUST GET THIS FINISHED. You guys heard me. It'll be done by next Friday, or maybe even before then.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2020, 05:16:02 pm »
+5
I cannot wait for this week to end... it doesn't even feel like the last week of term since there's so many things still going on. I have my Legal assessment due on Friday - I have half an essay right now, hopefully I can get a draft done tonight so I can do some peer editing tomorrow. ALSO. My PIP. Having struggles analysing my primary research, but once I get that done, that's the hardest part done. Also, footnoting is such a pain but it looks so professional and academic !!

I've recently been practising this super unhealthy habit of staying up late to finish work but not end up doing anything, and then just waking up tired every day. I would much rather sleep earlier and wake up earlier, but it's just so cold and dark before 7am. Yesterday I set an alarm for 5:50 but I just couldn't do it lol. How do morning people operate?? It's truly fascinating.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2020, 12:15:36 am »
+3
ALSO. My PIP. Having struggles analysing my primary research, but once I get that done, that's the hardest part done. Also, footnoting is such a pain but it looks so professional and academic !!

I can relate so hard to this! I found the primary research the trickiest part of my PIP but you'll feel very relieved once you finish going through it all and incorporating it in your major work.

I also find footnoting such a satisfying thing to do  ;D You'll thank yourself at the end of this for doing the citations as you go, trust me. I didn't do mine until two nights before my draft was due and it took me, I kid you not, four hours. In uni, I do all my referencing simultaneously with my assignments and while it does feel tedious, you will have an amazing looking piece of writing at the end of it!

Good luck for your remaining assessment and make sure to take things easy! The term's almost over and you can have a good break this weekend  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2020, 04:52:31 pm »
+1
I can relate so hard to this! I found the primary research the trickiest part of my PIP but you'll feel very relieved once you finish going through it all and incorporating it in your major work.

I also find footnoting such a satisfying thing to do  ;D You'll thank yourself at the end of this for doing the citations as you go, trust me. I didn't do mine until two nights before my draft was due and it took me, I kid you not, four hours. In uni, I do all my referencing simultaneously with my assignments and while it does feel tedious, you will have an amazing looking piece of writing at the end of it!

Good luck for your remaining assessment and make sure to take things easy! The term's almost over and you can have a good break this weekend  :)

Thank you so much! Yea I've been trying to annotate every source as I go to avoid that kind of situation. Planning to go out on Saturday and get my nails done yay!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »
+7
THE WORST TERM OF MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY OVER !!!

Seriously, this term really has been the most confusing, stressful mess ever. I don't know why I had the urge to rewrite my Legal essay the night before, but I'm glad I did. It's fair to say that I have not gotten much sleep over the past few weeks... planning to sleep in so hecking hard on Sunday.

I have a Trials study timetable ready to go, but it still doesn't feel real to meeeee. Gonna take this weekend off and start studying on Monday. I feel the urge to take the whole first week off, but I know I can definitely NOT take that much time off. I'm restricting myself to going out only 3 times during these holidays. No exceptions hehe.

Also made a bet with my friend who hasn't picked a topic for her PIP (I know.). She says she can finish it by Sunday midnight. I call BS, but who knows, she might surprise me.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:42:10 pm by alice343 »

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2020, 05:48:13 pm »
+4
THE WORST TERM OF MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY OVER !!!

Seriously, this term really has been the most confusing, stressful mess ever. I don't know why I had the urge to rewrite my Legal essay the night before, but I'm glad I did. It's fair to say that I have not gotten much sleep over the past few weeks... planning to sleep in so hecking hard on Sunday.

That's an absolute mood, this term really has been awful even by HSC standards

I have a Trials study timetable ready to go, but it still doesn't feel to meeeee. Gonna take this weekend off and start studying on Monday. I feel the urge to take the whole first week off, but I know I can definitely NOT take that much time off. I'm restricting myself to going out only 3 times during these holidays. No exceptions hehe.

Also made a bet with my friend who hasn't picked a topic for her PIP (I know.). She says she can finish it by Sunday midnight. I call BS, but who knows, she might surprise me.

Nice! Sounds like you've got a solid plan. I think take as much time as you can afford, since burning out right before trials is never a good thing. Good luck with your History and PIP especially, I'm sure you'll do great!
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2020, 10:13:15 pm »
+4
Started studying for Trials today!! Feels a bit strange studying in advance for once lol...

For now, just trying to get all my notes in line, whilst revising key content before practising my exam skills. I'm planning to finish all my notes this week, and then start doing open book exams next week. Also, trying to muster some more motivation for my major works. Turns out last year's Year 12 submitted their History Project in September, after Trials!! I really hope my teacher doesn't do this since I'll just waste all the extra time anyways. No luck in the due date for the PIP being extended, lol. All I'm hoping for is a draft like by the end of this week. Where has all my motivation goneeeeee !!!!

Also, if anyone has any tips for studying for Trials, I'd love to hear it!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2020, 12:00:58 pm »
+6
Week 1 Trials Preparation Update

Okay so... I might have been a little too ambitious with my Trials prep. I wanted to have finished all my notes by the end of this week, (I have four topics to go) but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon! Luckily I have notes finished for the subjects that have exams in the first few days of Trials. I'm getting a little overwhelmed with everything, as it kinda just hit me that the exams will literally replicate the HSC. I haven't really done any exam practice this whole year besides for assessments so this is kinda really scary!!! Here's a review for each subject atm:

English
- Trials is only assessing Module B and C; PHEW. I can't imagine what it would be like, having to study for Common Mod and Mod A as well.
- Discursives are SO fun to write. I've only written two but I really enjoyed writing both of them.
- Reflections, too. Feels a bit narcissistic analysing my own work, but it comes way more naturally than analysing in normal essays since I'm writing about my own writing, so I know what I'm talking about.
- Freaked out for Mod B!!! I just received feedback for my first Mod B essay, and have a second essay due on Monday

Modern History
- Our school is testing us on the last topic, Apartheid as well; even though we haven't started it in class lmao.
- My weakest topic is probably Power and Authority. I have definitely not been revising it, and source analysis is my absolute weakness.

Legal Studies
- Also testing us on a topic we haven't done!! Even though our teacher has been hinting very heavily what the essay will be on, it doesn't really help when we have no knowledge of the topic.

Society and Culture
- I'm not too worried for S&C, especially since it's my last exam and I'll have more time to focus on it.
- Gotta get my PIP in yikes  :-\

Japanese
- I'm not too worried about Japanese; we've been doing timed papers and they're all relatively easy. For some reason, the HSC papers are easier than our internal assessments??!
- Need to focus on speaking the most!!

Extension History
- Idek what's going on in Extension anymore TBH... still haven't attempted an essay !!! :///
- I have a very strong feeling that our teacher is going to extend the due date for the History Project... I know I can smash the essay out if I really just focus on it intensely for a few days but I made my Trials study timetable so packed that I feel guilty for not following it...

Also, just identified some more major flaws in my Trials study timetable. I completely forgot that I still have school after these holidays!!! Besides the History Project, there aren't any assessments (I do have to focus on my PIP though) but we still have to go to school ew. I guess those two weeks at school will be spent on madly rushing us through the last topics for Modern and Legal :// I need to reorganise my study plans so I have more breaks too. I haven't been giving myself any breaks and it's really taken a toll on me.

Another thing! I just realised that music distracts me. You would think that I would have realised this ages ago, but no. Even instrumental music makes me less productive, and I realised I quite enjoy silence when studying.

Anyways, on a brighter note. I went out last night for probably the first time in months. It felt so good, except I'm a little concerned now that COVID-19 cases have been on the rise. Just when I thought it was getting better :( I hope everyone is staying safe!

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:38 pm »
+4
MID WEEK 2 PANIC RANT TRIALS PREP AKA STRESS FRENZY ACTIVATED

Okay, so the stress and panic didn't really hit me until last night/today. WHERE HAS ALL THE TIME GONE. I feel SO underprepared, like nothing I do will help me. From tomorrow (Thursday) I will have two weeks until my English exam (WTF). I haven't done any timed practice responses and I am freaking out like CRAZYYYY but I keep putting everything off because I just keep stressing about everything and how my PIP is unfinished and I am scared to finish it.

But also just had a relieving as heck rant to my wonderful friend (Fluffysama_ here on the forum), and realised that I might be being a little harsh on myself??? (Or maybe I'm not harsh enough and I'm just making excuses for myself)  :-\ :-\

ANYWAYS. I'm going to try make sure that I write down everything I accomplish at the end of the day so I can feel better about myself.

Today I:
- Attended the Modern History ATAR Notes lecture. Maddy was super helpful and wonderful in providing tips for exam preparation, studying and entertainment!
- Upon realising during the lecture that detail tables were extremely useful, I started one for Power and Authority
- I did the listening section of the 2012 HSC Japanese exam under exam conditions and marked myself using the sample answers and marking guidelines (twas not as good as I hoped - luckily I have a bit more time until the Japanese exam); this took up quite a bit of time
- After I reviewed my flashcards for Japanese; since there was A LOT + some new vocab, this took me a while to get through, esp. since I have been neglecting vocab and studying for Japanese in general
- I made an updated grammar checklist for Japanese so I can be more mindful of the grammar points I'm incorporating in my speaking and writing
- I typed up some answers to speaking prompts for Japanese (for easier future reference)
- Also doing a Mod C persuasive atm! Hope to finish tonight since I'm doing it semi-timed (planning it first then writing it open book, but timed). We haven't gone through it in class but my teacher said it's like discursive but more rhetorical devices.

Wow, I just realised that I actually have done SOMETHING today. I haven't been writing down everything that I get done other than the things on my to-do list (which I never complete), so when I look at my to-do lists it seems like I haven't done anything. This is something I working to improve.

Also, RESIN ART IS the COOLEST. I've been seeing it all over Instagram and everything looks so glossy and shiny and smooth... it almost looks edible sometimes LOL. I wanna get into it whenever I have some more free time (likely not until post-Trials...)

Yepppp that's my weird semi-rant over. I go through these weird cycles where I overthink and stress about everything possible, then I get over it and become apathetic and indifferent to everything. Then repeat.

TLDR: I went through a stress-induced panicked frenzy but now I am not. Just gonna face the fact that Trials is coming up and I need to be realistic in my goals.

Thanks to anyone who's still reading this, you are a real one!!!

***Here's a pic of Fluffysama_ using this amazing Instagram filter below: (they're getting realllll creative these days. love em.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 11:27:31 pm by alice343 »

Viktoriak_

• MOTM: AUG 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:15 pm »
+2
I haven't been writing down everything that I get done other than the things on my to-do list (which I never complete), so when I look at my to-do lists it seems like I haven't done anything.
Ahh I relate to this too much!

I went through a stress-induced panicked frenzy but now I am not. Just gonna face the fact that Trials is coming up and I need to be realistic in my goals.
I feel like we all need a mini panic attack to get the ball rolling...  :P
Good luck for your prep, sounds like you got a heap of work done so just gotta keep at it  ;D
HSC '19: IPT
HSC '20: chem, phys, maths 3U, eng adv.

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2020, 10:19:23 pm »
+2
PIP UPDATE

So today I did more work on my PIP than I have in the past few months, no joke. It's getting easier and easier to write as I'm getting increasingly aware of the time constraints. I hate that I work better under pressure urhghhghhhhhghhh. This really isn't helping considering I am majorly underprepared for the English exam, which is in less than 2 weeks now...hooray ! But honestly I just need to keep reminding myself that everyone is in the same boat, and I just have to do my best as always. I just want to ignore everything and only focus on my PIP. I absolutely CANNOT WAIT until I can make it look pretty with all the borders and title pages and formatting (I frking love formatting) !!! I asked my friend to help me with title pages, and he's super knowledgeable when it comes to graphic design and all the shabang, so I have no doubt it'll look great.

Hope everyone is taking care of themselves - reminder to take a break!
Alice