Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:26:43 am

Author Topic: Advanced English - Shakespeare  (Read 2004 times)

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Advanced English - Shakespeare
« on: August 12, 2019, 04:55:57 pm »
hi, im in year 11 and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying adv english - shakespeare julius caesar? like an effective way to prep for tackling essay questions and developing a strong thesis about leadership, politics and power? or just any advice at all really, i really love learning about it and i have made extensive notes in class on the text, i just wanna know how to practice writing essays for it or exam advice in terms of evidence and all

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Advanced English - Shakespeare
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:36 am »
hi, im in year 11 and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on studying adv english - shakespeare julius caesar? like an effective way to prep for tackling essay questions and developing a strong thesis about leadership, politics and power? or just any advice at all really, i really love learning about it and i have made extensive notes in class on the text, i just wanna know how to practice writing essays for it or exam advice in terms of evidence and all

Hey, Jfernando312!

I studied Julius Caesar last year for Advanced in Year 12 and absolutely enjoyed it! Great to see you're finding it interesting as well  :) When it comes to practising essays, it really depends on what your Year 11 module is about and how you can respond to a question using JC. Could you perhaps provide some more insight on what module you are studying this under?  :o

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:55:44 am »
Hey, Jfernando312!

I studied Julius Caesar last year for Advanced in Year 12 and absolutely enjoyed it! Great to see you're finding it interesting as well  :) When it comes to practising essays, it really depends on what your Year 11 module is about and how you can respond to a question using JC. Could you perhaps provide some more insight on what module you are studying this under?  :o

Angelina  ;D

I’m studying this under Module B: critical study of Shakespeare and it’s surrounding perspective.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:07:28 pm »
+1
I’m studying this under Module B: critical study of Shakespeare and it’s surrounding perspective.

Hey, again!

For the Critical Study of Literature, I would highly advise using dramatic techniques as the basis of your analysis. There is a significant focus on language and form in Module B and your choice of techniques should be geared towards illustrating that you have engaged deeply with Shakespearean theatre. Using dramatic conventions such as hamartia, Great Chain of Being, pathetic fallacy, catharsis and dramatic irony can better highlight your understanding of the text than similes, metaphors and so forth.

I would also encourage you to consider the way the text remains timeless; explore how those values in leadership, ambition, power and whatnot resonate with us today. Module B is built on the assumption that your prescribed text has enduring value that makes it worthy of academic study; your essay, in turn, should shed light on the reasons why you think the text will persist due to its representation of those ideas! Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

IsabellaGoodwin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 11:08:24 pm »
This is amazing, thank you!! I’m also studying Shakespeare under Module 2 but am doing King Lear instead of Julius Caesar, would the same approach to essay preparation be appropriate?

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 04:34:00 pm »
+1
Hey, again!

For the Critical Study of Literature, I would highly advise using dramatic techniques as the basis of your analysis. There is a significant focus on language and form in Module B and your choice of techniques should be geared towards illustrating that you have engaged deeply with Shakespearean theatre. Using dramatic conventions such as hamartia, Great Chain of Being, pathetic fallacy, catharsis and dramatic irony can better highlight your understanding of the text than similes, metaphors and so forth.

I would also encourage you to consider the way the text remains timeless; explore how those values in leadership, ambition, power and whatnot resonate with us today. Module B is built on the assumption that your prescribed text has enduring value that makes it worthy of academic study; your essay, in turn, should shed light on the reasons why you think the text will persist due to its representation of those ideas! Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

thank you so much Angelina that really gives me good insight on the areas to focus on, thanks so much again

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 04:36:38 pm »
+1
This is amazing, thank you!! I’m also studying Shakespeare under Module 2 but am doing King Lear instead of Julius Caesar, would the same approach to essay preparation be appropriate?

Hey, IsabellaGoodwin!

I would recommend the same approach for your text too! I also studied King Lear so I can safely say that these strategies will be highly beneficial for your study of Shakespeare in Years 11 and 12. Good luck to the both of you  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-