Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:25:10 am

Poll

Whats your situation? (pls vote im curious) *vote to see results*

Got an offer but declined
3 (8.1%)
Got an offer and accepted it
22 (59.5%)
Fully rejected
12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: January 27, 2022, 09:51:21 am

Author Topic: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)  (Read 25762 times)  Share 

Selective User

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Who else is waiting for the results?? (2021 yr 9 entrance exam)
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2021, 01:55:05 pm »
Oh, I’m also sorry to hear that, you could try for John Monash or other selective schools. Good effort anyways and I hope you succeed later on

Arrow777

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2021, 02:53:54 pm »
Congratulations to all who made it !

Unfortunately I  did not get in but I am positive that this is not the end.....

Curious to know from the successful on some of their success stories / coaching strategies ( How long prepared ? which services they used ? ...)

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2021, 03:40:11 pm »
HOLY CRAP I ACTUALLY GOT IN!

Curious to know from the successful on some of their success stories / coaching strategies ( How long prepared ? which services they used ? ...)
I self-taught (mostly from Khan Academy) for ~45 mins every weekday after school. I just read through forums (mostly ATARNotes) to find out what I needed to study and then studied them.

Congrats to all the others who got in!

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2021, 03:49:44 pm »
I am not that upset that I didn't get in because I wasn't gonna go anyway and I am happy that someone more deserving got it :)

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2021, 04:21:48 pm »
+1
Congratulations to all of you for attempting this exam. To those of you who made it, great job! To those of you who didn't make it, remember that a selective school does not change or decide your career. I know doctors who got 99+ atars from regular schools and people who went to selective schools and dropped out so don't worry. A selective school only presents opportunities that other public schools may not offer. In essence, MHS and Mac.Rob are like private schools whilst Nossal and Suzanne Cory are public schools with more opportunities and smarter cohorts. If you did not make into the school you wanted to get into or any of the selective schools, don't worry as all it means is that you have a source of motivation to do better in VCE and beyond. Also, remember that most of the people who get in tend to do nothing until mid-year 9. They stop studying and just relax so use this opportunity to get ahead and do more. Remember that selective schools don't teach year 10 content in year 9 and they usually don't allow students to pursue VCE subjects in year 10. Selective schools just select smart students and just make them complete the same level of work as another student in a different school. However, when they enter VCE, they outperform most of the state because of their study habits, work ethic, and their incentive to exceed expectations. Selective schools do not teach well, but they only challenge their students. This makes the students do more and this is what happens in VCE. So if you don't get in, push yourself to your limit and you will do just as well, if not, more than what most selective school students can achieve.

To those who made it, remember to appreciate your hard work and try researching your school so that you can know it better. Congratulations for your great achievement and try to replicate this hard work in year 11 and 12.

Finally, it does not matter whether you got into a selective school or not. Just remember that this was an experience and use it for motivation to do better in year 9 and beyond. Enjoy the holidays!  ;D

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2021, 04:42:08 pm »
+1

Well, I'm not an expert on anything, so my answer might not be 100% accurate (but I did get in). I can tell you stuff like which tuitions were helpful in my opinion and what I did to prepare:

Tuitions:

Tuitions was a big role in my success. I originally started off with north shore coaching college, which I originally thought to be veru accurate (as the teachers there say it is), but soon discovered that it was not very accurate. Reading comp was harder than the real exam and maths and numeric were far easier than the real deal. I continued with it just to be accustomed to the time and pressure, but also started with james an. North shore charged a huge amount though, and it was not worth it tbh (the james an face-to-face classes were the same as their online classes, which was a rip-off).

At JAC, when I started, I used to get scores in maths/nr around 50%, read was 67% an verbal 80%. In my opinion, JAC was helpful and very accurate in everything except verbal reasoning. Also, for their writing, they grade you up high for some reason - I wrote a few essays that deserved 24/30 but I got 29 somehow (not fluked) and thought that their teacher was grading me really high for some reason. Writing was, to be honest, the deciding factor and I had mixed feelings about it taken out. I was happy because if I got a hard topic/stimulus, this would not affect my results but then writing was my strongest point according to james an. After some time at james an, I started getting reasonably good results like 85% for maths, 80-85% for reading, 80% for numerical and 85% for verbal.

Three weeks before the exam, I gave 2 mock tests at hendersons. This, in my opinion, had very accurate tests for all topics (but they forced you to do the writing even though it was scrapped as part of the real test). Verbal was literally the exact same as their practice exams (just different words), but hendersons makes reader quite difficult compared to the real test. It also had pretty accurate mock exams for maths and numerical. For me, hendersons worked the best and in both mock tests I got 2 sups (watch out though, because hendersons sometimes considers the superior mark as the top 33% when its actually the top 11%, so I converted it myself as they provide a graph of how everyone did).

Real Exam (Personal Experience):

Hendersons asks people about how the real exam went and this is what I wrote in their thing:

Mathematics - This year, the mathematics component was extremely difficult and almost all students were unable to finish it. Most guessed around 20-30 questions (I guess 20) and the questions were of a high calibre, as well as hard to complete in timed questions due to their working out required.
The 4 starting questions were all about basic numerology, decimal/fraction addition/subtraction/multiplication/division, but from then the exams became much harder. There were a couple of questions on probability, 2 different graphs to interpret (about 3 questions each) and two angle questions as well as a circle geometry question(which were all quite hard). Hendersons should make their maths harder by adding more formula-based questions and making it harder it general (by putting more difficult numbers to work with - the maths questions require plenty of working and by Q30 I think I had already finished my piece of working out paper).

Numerical Reasoning - As with mathematics, the NR component was very difficult, though slightly easier than the maths. The questions were very lengthy, and on the first page itself, complex word problems were given (which could be solved, given a minute per question, but were hard to do within 36 seconds). People guessed about 20-25 and it was difficult to read, understand and work out all those questions within the time limit. Hendersons should make their NR more challenging for future students by adding more word problems.
Some questions I remember were about the different routes to travel, some complex word problems about permutations/combinations (and also there were little to no number patterns which surprised me), data interpretation, and general word problems about age, SDT, volume/SA, geometry and more.

Verbal Reasoning - One thing that stood out was that verbal reasoning questions were very similar to henderson's exams. Most kids would have gotten about 40-45/60 in verbal reasoning, but then still had to guess about 5-10. The level of difficulty for me was a little under moderate.
Some question types were to use options and find out whether the two base words make a real compound word, syllogisms, a slightly time-consuming question about seating arrangements (if x sits next to y and y sits opposite to z etc), finding two statements which prove that, 2 questions on letter patterns, 3-4 questions on find a hidden word that continues on from two words, which word best suits both these categories (for categories like "shout" and "wood", bark would be the answer) and a few more questions. There were little anagrams, no family tree questions, little foreign language questions and no shape logic.

Reading Comprehension - The first thing to note is that reading comp was quite easy, though Hendersons makes it quite difficult (it should be made easier). The questions directed you to the line number and the passages were not too lengthy (only one ¾ page passage was there at the end).
There were 2 poems (about 10 lines and 6 lines), an informative text about ethos, pathos and logos, two cartoons - one about how trees would be planted everywhere if they had wifi and one about globalisation and how humans consume too many resources for our population. There was not much about grammar (I think 3-4), but in general RC was easy, Most people would have attained a score of around 38-42/50.

Basic Info/Summary:

Not many people did well in the maths components (guessed around half), but most did pretty good in the english components.
There is no working out paper, aside from the back of the answer sheet.
The answer sheet was split up into columns of 15 and went till 60.
The papers were different colours:
VR - Yellow
NR - Green
RC - Pink
Math - White (2020’s colour was blue according to another user)
A superior is the top 11%, and the next 12% gets an above average, then the next 17% gets a high average, then the next 20% gets an average, then the next 17% gets a below average and the last 23% gets the lowest score (not sure what it is called). This is according to James an.
I think the test will be easier next year though, so don't worry too much about it and don't study too much at the start because it becomes really boring towards the end and when the exam is close.

I hope everyone who is doing the selective exams of Victoria finds this useful and best of luck to you all!

BTW Ock, what school did you choose, MHS?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:43:47 pm by Selective User »

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2021, 04:59:03 pm »
+1
OMG OMG
Congrats  to anyone that got in first round!! U deserved it for sure!!

I didn’t even know until 9am until one of my friends who sat the exam (from my class ) had told me lol. So many people from my school got in, So MANY ACCELERATED PROGRAM KIDS GOT IN!! Am I mad no? Did I see it coming ? Yesss. and only 1 mainstream got in. Some people were crying like literal mental breakdowns, bc they didn’t make it in.  I didn’t but I was feeling down when I heard the other kids getting in. If u didn’t read what I’ve previously said but basically around 30 ppl from my school sat the test and half of them were fromAccelerated program and it was so unfair for us mainstreams students to compete. around 6 got in and 1 mainstream got in. A few of them got into macrob and Suzanne most popular was macrob. Idk about Mhs tho.
I’m abit disappointed, I havnt even checked my emails. Bc my parents didn’t say anything about an email. I just feel betrayed and disappointed in myself tbh. I havnt even told them ugh.They gonna just be comparing me and saying “ oh why couldn’t u be like them” or “why couldn’t u make us proud “
THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS AFRAID OF. I tried my best and did so well and got an average of 40/ 60 in most practice tests I’ve done.It jus makes me sad to know it wasn’t meant to be. I’m literally sick and tired of this exam, it has brang sm pressure and stress and mental health hasn’t even been good bc of it.
But well done to everyone who sat this exam ur most definitely are smarter than an average year 8, Good luck for year 9 everyone (who got in or didn’t!)
wishing you all the best for next year !!
However plot twist u are supposed to get rejected in order get a 2nd round apparently idk

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2021, 05:22:53 pm »
BTW Ock, what school did you choose, MHS?
Yep. What did you pick?

user24678

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2021, 05:59:25 pm »
. I tried my best and did so well and got an average of 40/ 60 in most practice tests I’ve done.It jus makes me sad to know it wasn’t meant to be. I’m literally sick and tired of this exam, it has brang sm pressure and stress and mental health hasn’t even been good bc of it.
Damn we on the same boat, I feel you. I relied on this exam so much. Unfortunately I didn’t get in first round.it was literally just heartbreaking  But your right. All the comparing is gonna get to my head too.they always make it look like you’re not good enough. I remember a few weeks before the exam I was mentally tired and stressed bc I was going thru personal hard times but I had to keep going. Passing this exam would have solved 90% of my problems. But I hope your okay though now. 8.101 wishing  you the best too and thankyou for starting this conversation.

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2021, 06:20:46 pm »
Damn we on the same boat, I feel you. I relied on this exam so much. Unfortunately I didn’t get in first round.it was literally just heartbreaking  But your right. All the comparing is gonna get to my head too.they always make it look like you’re not good enough. I remember a few weeks before the exam I was mentally tired and stressed bc I was going thru personal hard times but I had to keep going. Passing this exam would have solved 90% of my problems. But I hope your okay though now. 8.101 wishing  you the best too and thankyou for starting this conversation.
Thank you! i am okay now for sure but  fr this gonna be hard to recover from but maybe it wasnt meant to be ? maybe theres something more better out there for me. Maybe the universe might work in a mysterious way? who knows, good luck to u too

Vxp121

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2021, 06:24:49 pm »
I didn't get through in first round.
How many people get selected in second and third round.

is first round a cut off list
or more like all selected people got invite and now if they reject then some one will get it in round 2

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2021, 06:35:55 pm »
I think in the first round they send an E-mail to everyone and then in the second round, the students who got rejected will maybe get an acceptance letter. I feel you guys, I feel everyone who didn't get in. I had the pressure since I was in grade 5 and I studied for almost 2 years by myself and didn't get in. Ik it feels like all your hard work didn't pay off and you might just feel dumb but trust me..you're not. Ik it's heartbreaking (I almost cried when I saw my result lol) but remember that there are many students like you who gave this test their all but still did not pass. And about the comparing...where do I start. Maybe just ignore everyone who compares you..remember that you did the best you could.

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2021, 07:13:57 pm »
I feel you guys, I feel everyone who didn't get in. I had the pressure since I was in grade 5 and I studied for almost 2 years by myself and didn't get in. Ik it feels like all your hard work didn't pay off and you might just feel dumb but trust me..you're not. Ik it's heartbreaking (I almost cried when I saw my result lol) but remember that there are many students like you who gave this test their all but still did not pass. And about the comparing...where do I start. Maybe just ignore everyone who compares you..remember that you did the best you could.

Yeah tru tru, tysm for sharing that. Nobody has rlly written how they feel in depth.I mean I kinda saw this coming, I remember at the exam and walking into the seating arrangement and seeing 3 rows (there was like 10 people in each row ) of all the people from my school. I was jus like “what’s the point anyways there’s wayy too much competition ?”broo how am I supposed to do well”
I suggest to not go to an competitive school tbh.
What I’ve learnt is, maybe I should’ve put more effort and spent more time focusing on what’s important. I regret things but everything happens for I guess.
Also is the yr 10 entry’s curriculum the same or does it change? What do I need to learn to prepare for it if anyone knows let me know please!

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »
Yeah, it was verry pressuring and had negative mental health. For everyone who unfortunately missed a spot, good luck in the future and in any other exams you take. I was in the "noisy fridge" building with like 50 people from my school, so my hopes were also a little down. My school has SEAL and all of them got in except for one or two, and I as well as 2 or 3 more were the only people do get in outside of SEAL. I came to melb only 7 months ago with the exam in less than 2 months and I was so freaked out about it and then it kept on getting postponed and the pressure mounted on me. In my old school I failed a selective exam but thats because I cam late and did the one in yr 7 where only like 4 out of 100 kids are selected. In my opinion, competitive school or non-competitive school does not really matter. If you only just make it in from a trash school, you will have a hard time coping with MHS or whatever school's standards. My school is quite competitive and there is only one smart group (the 20 or so seal kids) and all other people are nearly as smart, so it's a wonder I got in. My friend guessed literally the exact same amount of questions as me in all 4 exams and even guessed less than me in maths/nr, yet I got in and he didn't. For this year, it came down to luck based on your guesses. Study all you can for maths, try for other schools and be positive and think that you'll get a second offer. It is surprising to see the amount of people that decline the offer based on school preference, travel, cost and more. Don't lose hope yet, there may be more chance in this exam for all the people who didn't make it, and there certainly will be more chances in other schools.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2021, 08:09:08 pm »
Yeah tysm for sharing your results and don't feel bad for not getting in! My school has SEAL as well but only 10 people in total tried out. I am not sure if anyone else got in .