Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:40 am

Author Topic: Selective School Test 2022  (Read 19041 times)  Share 

Selective User

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Selective School Test 2022
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:23 pm »
I think that the lesson we rajd from this is that tuitions and practice tests are far easier than the real exam and that most people failed the 2 maths exams lol. Don't dwell over it too much and wait for the results

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2021, 09:27:13 pm »
lol yeah.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2021, 09:32:59 pm »
Sorry I meant learnt instead of rajd I don’t even know how I typed that.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2021, 05:21:17 pm »
+1
Emphasis on quadratics. Around a third of the exam iirc was talking about quadratics. The math and NR practice paper on the DET website was way easier than the actual test.

Which is why I've been saying that the DET test is not the best measure, but the test is done so relax and enjoy the time you have before the results   :-\

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2021, 05:53:54 pm »
Which is why I've been saying that the DET test is not the best measure, but the test is done so relax and enjoy the time you have before the results   :-\
I'll try my best.

The results are out December 8th, right?

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2021, 06:06:10 pm »
+1
Yup! offers are sent between 8-17 dec I think.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2021, 06:32:57 pm »
+1
I'll try my best.

The results are out December 8th, right?

Yes the results come out in the 8th (in just under 3 weeks) and you have until the 9th to accept or decline if you are selected. The detailed report of what scores you got and how you did compared to other comes out after the offers on the 20th of December.

Junhi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2021, 09:34:53 am »
Has anyone else seen the changes to quota? My school always had the maximum students taken and last year a few got in through the PD process.
Won’t get so lucky this year. It really looks like the universe (or Dept of Education ) is against smart students. They now only take up to 5% all up from any Victorian school, including Principal’s discretion unlike in the past where principals discretion was on top of the 5% quota. It really works against kids from high achieving schools like mine. I am so depressed about this. I worked hard to get a place. ☹ 
Also, my auntie went to a tour and the school said that quota increased for interstate, homeschooled and kids from overseas got a lot higher chances than kids from Victorian High Schools.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2021, 10:24:29 am »
What quota change are you talking about? I haven’t heard of any change. What school are you from?

Junhi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2021, 01:49:43 pm »
It's in the information package.
"In addition, up to 10 per cent of enrolments are through the equity consideration category and up to 5 per cent of enrolments are made under the principal's discretion category.
With the exception of the equity category, no more than 5 per cent of Year 8 students from any one school can be accepted across the four selective entry high schools"
my school is out west.

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:48 pm »
It's in the information package.
"In addition, up to 10 per cent of enrolments are through the equity consideration category and up to 5 per cent of enrolments are made under the principal's discretion category.
With the exception of the equity category, no more than 5 per cent of Year 8 students from any one school can be accepted across the four selective entry high schools"
my school is out west.
damnit

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
Wasn’t it always like that?

Say if your cohort size is 300 and 40 people are trying out, 20 would get in (5% of the total which is 15 people and then about 5 from principals discretion), so for that school you would have a half chance of getting in.

Also, I read somewhere that only some select schools can actually have kids applying for the selective schools, about 20 schools. So going to a terrible school might actually be bad if Melbourne high/whatever selective school  because the 4 schools might not accept that school.

I don’t know if all of this is true, so can someone please confirm if it is? My school is in the south east, it’s reasonably competitive and has SEAL but it’s not as competitive as other schools, about 45 people are trying out of which 20- 25 will get in, wby?

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2021, 05:14:01 pm »

Say if your cohort size is 300 and 40 people are trying out, 20 would get in (5% of the total which is 15 people and then about 5 from principals discretion), so for that school you would have a half chance of getting in.

Also, I read somewhere that only some select schools can actually have kids applying for the selective schools, about 20 schools. So going to a terrible school might actually be bad if Melbourne high/whatever selective school  because the 4 schools might not accept that school.

I don’t know if all of this is true, so can someone please confirm if it is? My school is in the south east, it’s reasonably competitive and has SEAL but it’s not as competitive as other schools, about 45 people are trying out of which 20- 25 will get in, wby?

There's no such thing as not accepting a student because of their school. If you do well, then you'll make it.

Junhi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2021, 09:20:49 am »

It used to be like that. Now it's only 5% and once your school hits quota no one will be offered a PD place. :(
Using your example it's 15 only plus a few who applied under equity.

Selective User

• Forum Regular
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2021, 09:21:56 am »
How did you do in the test Junhi and how many people are trying out from your school?