Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:29:21 am

Author Topic: Moderation of school assessment marks  (Read 4146 times)

dentin1

• Fresh Poster
Moderation of school assessment marks
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:40:24 pm »
Hey guys! I just wanted to know if the QCE ATAR system moderates school assessment marks like the HSC system (https://www.matrix.edu.au/beginners-guide-to-atar-scaling/how-hsc-marks-are-calculated/)

For example, if I get 45/50 for Physics and rank 2nd in my school, but on the EA I get a score of 40/50 (let's say this is the 3rd highest score), is my final result the sum of my EA score (40) + the 2nd highest EA score (let's say 42) (and this is because I ranked 2nd in my school in the IA assessment)? Thus, making my final MODERATED score to be 82/100 and not 85/100 if the IA+EA were just added normally.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
Re: Moderation of school assessment marks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 06:37:34 pm »
Hey Dentin1! :)
Each state runs the ATAR system slightly differently - so the way it works in NSW isn't the same as in QLD. It doesn't matter how you rank at your school, your raw result for each subject will be the combination of all of your IA marks and your EA mark. So, using your example, if your result for internal assessments in physics totals to 45/50, and you get 40/50 for the external, then your raw result for physics will be 85/100 - no matter how you rank in your school.
So, don't worry about how people at your school are performing, just try to do your best and focus on your own learning :)
Hope this clears things up,
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 10:06:52 am »
Hey when you guys put your marks on the bottom of your comments, is it your raw marks or scaled marks?
Thanks

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 12:20:32 pm »
Hey when you guys put your marks on the bottom of your comments, is it your raw marks or scaled marks?
Thanks

I don't have that personally, however I am pretty sure that it depends on the person. Some people put their raw marks whilst others put their scaled marks.

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 04:11:27 pm »
Thanks

For QLD users, the marks will most likely be raw marks (as you don't get told what your scaled marks are - unlike Victorian students I think). Some people may take a guess as to what their results scaled to just based off of the scaling report released last year (e.g. I know that my raw 92 in physics scaled to a 97 thanks to the report, but for some of my other subjects I don't know the exact number they scaled to), but I think it's safe to say that QLD users have their raw results on display.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics