Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:15:35 pm

Poll

Smooth Ice Cream vs Ice Cream With Chunks?

No added parts/chunks in the ice cream (smooth ice cream)!
Yes to the chunks in the ice cream (choc bits etc)!
I don't like ice cream...
I like both!

Author Topic: Smooth Ice Cream vs Ice Cream With Chunks?  (Read 8087 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Smooth Ice Cream vs Ice Cream With Chunks?
« on: February 18, 2021, 04:30:17 pm »
+9
This has plagued my mind for the last couple of years..... and I think that it's quite an unpopular opinion.... but i'm not a fan of added food like chocolate, pretzels, marshmallows or anything else in my ice cream, I think it completely ruins the experience. Let me explain my reasoning.

When I think of ice cream, I think of smooth, cold, and delicate, in terms of flavours, textures and taste. You get the flavour from either the chocolate, to the vanilla or the other amazing flavors like mint that come together in a smooth form to create a wonderful experience. I find that once chunks or other food gets mixed into the ice cream, that joy of ice cream declines!

Instead of the smooth texture, it gets interrupted with having to chew or crunch something that makes consuming the ice cream that bit more difficult compared to when the ice cream just melts in your mouth. Even though i'm a big chocolate fan, I have a problem with the chocolate chunks in ice cream, as the coldness from the ice cream turns the chocolate cold, which mean it takes forever for it to melt in the mouth, and if I can't be bother to wait that long, then when you break up the chocolate no flavour comes with it because it is too cold. The same goes with cookie dough, it becomes too cold so there is no flavour and it isn't enjoyable.

My other big thing is passionfruit seeds in passionfruit ice cream... It's not fun to have to stop and crunch 5 seeds per mouthful. The seeds don't taste great, they distract from the flavour as it makes the texture go funny so it looses it's smooth mouth appeal.
This is such a stupid issue, but I wanted to see what others think and to get a bit of activity in the debate section.

So, what do you prefer, ice cream that is smooth, or ice cream that has chunks of food in it?
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Smooth Ice Cream vs Ice Cream With Chunks?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 04:49:29 pm »
+10
Wheres the both option.
There are definitely some extras that are just annoying (seeds are definitely in that category) but I like chocolate or cookie or whatever sometimes, other times I like it smooth. I think having chunky ice cream makes me focus on eating it more and idk it's just kinda a nice sensory thing. But I also like smooth ice cream.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:58 pm »
+4
Wheres the both option.
There are definitely some extras that are just annoying (seeds are definitely in that category) but I like chocolate or cookie or whatever sometimes, other times I like it smooth. I think having chunky ice cream makes me focus on eating it more and idk it's just kinda a nice sensory thing. But I also like smooth ice cream.
Just added that option to the poll! Thanks for the input!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:01:56 pm »
+4
the other amazing flavors like mint that come together in a smooth form to create a wonderful experience.
THANK YOU :) Another fellow mint supporter.

I guess for me, it depends what the chunks are. Not a huge fan of the chocolate chunks in some varieties or cookie dough either. I had a Bounty ice cream once which had chocolate shards and dessicated coconut, and I think it would've tasted better without the pieces.

I've never really thought about this, but it seems that I gravitate towards the flavours without the chunks predominantly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:05:16 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:32:42 pm »
+3
Smooth icecream.
Nobody is changing my mind here.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 05:40:38 pm »
+4
I absolutely love chocolate chips in ice-cream. So much so that I will go to extra lengths to crush chocolate and add it to my ice-cream  ;) I love how the chocolate goes hard and the crunch you get in your mouth. I also like passionfruit seeds, raspberry seeds (although annoying when they get stuck in your teeth) and sprinkles. It just makes ice-cream more interesting, what can I say  ;)
(although a no to the pretzels or marshmallows from me).
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:50:34 pm »
+4
Both are pretty good!

However, I do agree with PF that extra bits like seeds are annoying. If I were to eat ice cream with chunks, it would be small extra bits like choc chip. When adding extra chunks to ice cream, it needs to be something that adds to the ice cream as a whole (needs to work with the ice cream is all I'm saying!)

or the other amazing flavors like mint

Hello, AN Mint gang! 8). I'm glad to see there are other people that like mint ice cream! ;D

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:01:40 pm »
Cookies on top of ice cream is my favourite.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 06:42:25 pm »
+6
Nuts are the best things that could be added to ice cream! Specifically macadamias in macadamia+honey/macadamia+caramel ice cream.
They add good crunchy texture and flavour. I don't mind fruit or chocolate added, but nuts beat both.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:09:37 pm »
+4
My only contribution to this thread beyond what has already been raised is that I feel so robbed when cookie dough flavoured ice-cream comes without cookie dough chunks. I am pretty much on Team Smooth Ice-Cream otherwise.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 07:27:39 pm »
+8
Chunky ice cream is superior but not when you're expecting it to be smooth. Nothing ruins a nice afternoon treat faster than an unexpected chunk
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:41:43 pm »
+8
Nuts are the best things that could be added to ice cream! Specifically macadamias in macadamia+honey/macadamia+caramel ice cream.
They add good crunchy texture and flavour. I don't mind fruit or chocolate added, but nuts beat both.
Finally I found someone that loves this ice cream!! Its my FAVOURITE 😆

I like both types of ice-cream, depends on the day ah ha! Chocolate chips in chocolate ice cream is superior  :)

EDIT: When I get fro-yo I always get it without toppings - I love the smooth texture of this!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:08:15 pm by ArtyDreams »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 08:01:52 pm »
+6
both are good but I feel smooth ice cream is more for the really high-quality stuff and then ice cream with bits and pieces kind of need those extra bits to makeup for the actual ice cream quality.

or the other amazing flavors like mint
Hello, AN Mint gang! 8). I'm glad to see there are other people that like mint ice cream! ;D
Mint  8)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 09:06:59 pm »
+3
100% ice cream with chunks, but it really does depend on what is actually in the ice cream. For Example, I love having choc chip and cookies and cream icecreams, but not seeds or anything like that. :D

Smooth ice cream is also great, I think smooth ice cream goes better in a cone but chunky ice cream goes better in a bowl/ cup. :)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 09:51:01 pm »
+1
Definitely smooth.  Exception: cookies and cream.

I've noticed that when my tongue is cold, I can't taste hard solids properly (cold tastebuds can't taste very well) so if you put choc chips in my icecream, all you're doing is ruining the texture without adding any taste.

However, cookies are soft and chewy, which is both flavourful and luxurious in texture.

idon'tlikeminticecreampleasedon'thurtme
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care