Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:59:01 pm

Author Topic: The 8 subject humanities mosh pit (Class of '21)  (Read 3645 times)

7petey

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
The 8 subject humanities mosh pit (Class of '21)
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:38:48 pm »
+4
Hi there! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I just entered year 12 this term and it seems I've hit the ground running thus far. After looking at some journals on here, I figured maintaining one would be a nice way to keep myself accountable while scaling the mountain that is the HSC.

I'm not too sure what to write to start this off, but here are my current subjects:
- English Advanced (2u)
- English Extension 1 (1u)
- English Extension 2 (1u)
- Mathematics Advanced (2u)
- Studies of Religion I (1u)
- Modern History (2u)
- History Extension (1u)
- Information Processes & Technology (2u)

Yep, that's right. 12 units, including 8 individual subjects, 6 of which are humanities subjects, and a major work. Here's why I decided these subjects were right for me:

- 12 units: I need the extra 2 buffer units so that I can keep Mathematics Advanced as it is assumed knowledge for my intended degree (Commerce / Computer Science). Maths used to be my strong suit, but from year 9 onwards my skills have been declining due to a noisy class (not helped by the poor teachers that got put with us) and a 5.3 / Advanced course ever-increasing in difficulty. The end of year 10 5.3 showed some improvement, but my progress in year 11 seemed stagnant with an average of 68% in my first two tasks (my yearly exam was difficult across the board - my class averaged 27/70 compared to my 23/70!). I'm putting in extra effort this term for my upcoming exam on Friday, but there are no guarantees so it might be more practical for me to drop to 10 units in that case. That'll be the worst-case scenario, though.

- 4 unit English: By contrast, English has been great for me so far! The English coordinator at my school was reluctant to let me into the course after year 10 due to my relatively low average mark of 75%, but that seems to have paid off since I'm scoring well into band 6 territory in my Extension 1 assignments. During my parent/teacher interviews in Semester 1, my parents asked about whether I should join Extension 2, to which my teacher immediately responded "yes". That definitely helped my self-confidence, and I'm doing very well in my major work this year! For those interested, I'm currently doing Poetry as my major work form and have already made decent progress in both research and creative content.

- 3 unit History: Same philosophy as English, really. I've always been pretty strong in History and consistently scored band 5 marks in my first two year 11 Modern tasks. While I wasn't recommended for Extension by my teacher, I had a look at its assessment tasks and decided the subject would be a nice challenge for me. I've currently made steady progress for my proposal for my History Project. I may share my ideas once I do more research into my chosen topic and focus question.

So far, year 12 has treated me fairly well. I did notice recently that I picked 3 and 4 unit English, and IPT, both of which have been suffering the largest decline in students according to the Sydney Morning Herald. What a coincidence! :-[

The only issue I have is that, after undertaking 4 unit English, it's become quite difficult to motivate myself to study 3 unit, despite me knowing that I need to draw on the skills from 3 unit for my Major Work and Reflection Statement. Have any current or former 4 unit students also experienced this? How did you get over it?

This is all I can think about writing so far. I'll aim towards updating this journal at least once a week. See you then! ;)

(Edited to touch up post formatting)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:42:20 pm by 7petey »
Hi! I'm a year 12 student from Sydney. (Class of '21)
Y12 subjects (12u): 4u English, Maths Adv., SOR 1, Modern History, History Ext., IPT
ATAR goal: 91
Intended degree: B. Commerce / Computer Science (UNSW)

fandomtrash2580

• Adventurer
  • Desperate for studying motivation 🥺
  • Respect: +11
Re: The 8 subject humanities mosh pit (Class of '21)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:26:07 pm »
+1
Hey there! I'm also well technically in "Year 12". However, our teachers are super stuck on us not being year 12 until next year but oh well lol. I also wanna study with a degree hopefully similar to that (or atleast involving computer science), so I completely understand where you're coming from when you talk about Maths. I used to be pretty good at maths, it was actually the marks I got in maths that allowed me to get into the selective high school I'm in now. However, I don't know whether it's the teachers here or just the way the lessons have been set out, my skill in mathematics has completely gone downhill and its been difficult to get it back to where it used to.                                                       
Don't worry about it,. It doesn't even matter, not like it's year 12 yet - Once said by a tragic procrastinator who is now preparing for their HSC

HSC 2021 let's try NOT to fail 😎