Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:23 pm

Author Topic: Bsc Melbourne or Bsc Advanced Research Monash, and other victorian unis?  (Read 5338 times)  Share 

ANOXREDCAT

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hello there,

I'm a student currently completing year 12. To give you some context, i'm doing methods, bio, chem, english and psych, and I hope to major something within biochemistry probably medically focused or possibly another area in chemistry. Eventually I want to get into research, meaning i'll need to do honours. Here's some questions i'd love an answer to if you know anything about these courses. It would be extra valuable if you've moved on to do research.

Firstly, did you enjoy doing 'insert course' as a whole, and what were the pros/cons of this degree as opposed to what you might know about science at melbourne?
How competitive is it?
 How much research did you actually get to do?
 In terms of getting into a phd program, how does this help you?
 If your aim was to get into a phd program and you could do another course (biomed for example), would you change anything.
 Im also a little confused on getting into phd, I've got conflicting information, but can you go straight from honours into phd?
 How long did it take you to decide what you wanted to focus on, and also how did your lecturers/supervisors help you decide.
What kind of things do you do in your phd and how much freedom do you get.
This might be sensitive so feel free not to answer, but in terms of financial stability how do you feel about everything so far, is it a struggle to balance work and study?

This is a lot, I know, but overall do you have any tips/advice for me, and what would you recommend I do to make the best decision? Finally, is there anyone I should speak to/ you could put me in contact with, to learn more.
Like i said, this is pretty full on so feel free to leave any questions out if you really want. I really appreciate the advice.
English: 35
Bio: 43
Chem:43
Methods:39
Psych:37
ATAR:90+
UOM Science (2019)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Bsc Melbourne or Bsc Advanced Research Monash, and other victorian unis?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »
+5
Hey, I'm studying the Bsc Adv - Global Challenges (Hon.) course at Monash and so far it's been challenging but also rewarding. Students in the research degree get to complete research as a first year and there is a specific scholarship for that. I've also received an email about CURIE recently, which could be beneficial and relevant to you assuming you keep your marks high enough. There are also scholarships listed for research over the summer and winter breaks which students can apply for.

I don't know much about phds but I am studying advanced chem and biology this year, if you have questions about those units. Good luck in your search for information :)

If you want realllly specific information the course handbook might be useful but as a non-student it could also just be information overload.  You could also try reading some of the uni journey journals to see if they have information relevant to you (eg. Vaike is studying the research course). I'm not sure how active keltingmeith is anymore, but they would be a very relevant person for the information you are seeking.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:28:40 pm »
+5
Hey there!

I've been in a pretty similar situation on the biological side of things, even though I studied genetics (extended major, including a minor in molecular biology - the precursor to a biochem major) and chemistry (minor) under the straight Bachelor of Science (no frills) at Monash. I've PMed you my response. :) 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:08 pm »
+5
(eg. Vaike is studying the research course).

Here on call ~

I agree with what miniturtle said. I'm currently first year Adv Research though, so I'll give it a crack at answering your other questions.

Firstly, did you enjoy doing 'insert course' as a whole, and what were the pros/cons of this degree as opposed to what you might know about science at melbourne?

Haven't studied at UoM so can't directly compare, but I've enjoyed my course so far! From everyone that I've spoken to, undergraduate research at UoM is essentially non existent. This was a big factor in me choosing to come to Monash; I wanted to get as much undergraduate research under my belt as possible, to help figure out if it's really what I want to do.

How competitive is it?

Not sure exactly what you're asking about here. Is it competitive to get in? No where near as bad as med or anything like that; if you get an ATAR over 95 you should be fine. In terms of is the cohort competitive, not at all. The paths that the people in this degree are taking are super broad, everyone is nice and chill and just doing their own thing.

How much research did you actually get to do?

It's super flexible. One of the great things about being in this degree is that it kind of acts like a shiny badge; if you tell professors you're doing this degree it kinda indicates to them that you're dedicated and willing to learn, which is what a lot of these researchers seem to be looking for in undergrads. I know some people started research in their first semester, just by asking around and seeing what was available.

Mainly though, the first 'major' opportunity for research comes at the end of your first year. The uni runs a program called 'ResearchFirst', which is for first year student in this degree to get paid to do research over summer. There are a whole lot of projects (this year there was 25 different ones available) to apply for to complete over the summer. I personally think that it's a great initiative, and I'm really excited to do mine this summer.

Onwards from first year, doing more research is kind of in your own hands. The uni runs a whole bunch of 'research units', and you have to do one as part of your degree. Instead of taking lectures, writing up small lab reports etc, these subjects actually involve doing some kind of research with the help of a supervisor. Honours is also a part of the course, so heaps of research in your final year too.

If your aim was to get into a phd program and you could do another course (biomed for example), would you change anything.
 Im also a little confused on getting into phd, I've got conflicting information, but can you go straight from honours into phd?
 How long did it take you to decide what you wanted to focus on, and also how did your lecturers/supervisors help you decide.
What kind of things do you do in your phd and how much freedom do you get.

Can't really add too much about this stuff obviously, but I will say having research experience definitely won't hurt when applying for such programs.

If you have further questions feel free to leave them below :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:39:08 am by Vaike »