Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:38 pm

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 5012 times)

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
Is it worth it?
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:06 pm »
I was wondering what you think of the law course at UTS? I'm considering it. But I'm also wondering if you think it's worth doing a year of another course and then transferring to law (in case I don't get the required atar to get in). Or would it be more reliable/smart to go to UOW where I have the chance of getting straight into the law course?

Thanks for the help!  :)
2018 HSC

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:41:02 pm »
+3
I was wondering what you think of the law course at UTS? I'm considering it. But I'm also wondering if you think it's worth doing a year of another course and then transferring to law (in case I don't get the required atar to get in). Or would it be more reliable/smart to go to UOW where I have the chance of getting straight into the law course?

Not law specific, but for me, studying what you want is more important than where you do it. Law is a competitive discipline, so the institution might play a role, but not as much of a role as your actual skills, employability and drive.

I know someone who stuck around at UNSW to eventually transfer into Law, and someone who just went to a different uni to do Law, so I've seen both. I just think it makes more sense to get into the industry sooner and build your experience, rather than doing a year of a degree just to get into law :)

My (very poorly informed in terms of how this applies to jobs in Law) two cents ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »

Hey there,
I actually happened to know someone who transferred to law. He started off doing International Studies at Macquarie Uni (pretty sure he wanted to be a diplomat initially) but when he finished, he got a scholarship and transferred to law at USyd (and now he wants to be a criminal lawyer lol). And now he's doing an internship at a really big law firm (don't ask me which company- I know nothing about the law industry lol). So yeah, you can definitely transfer. And to be honest, if you have to transfer halfway, at least you're gaining a skill or two in your previous course!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW