Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:06:11 am

Author Topic: What it's like studying Communications at UTS  (Read 20704 times)

jarin_

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: mfis
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: What it's like studying Communications at UTS
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 12:54:34 pm »

Judging by the face that you strung a few coherent sentences together here, I'm sure with a lot of hard work you would be capable of getting excellent marks in first-year uni :)

Someone with extremely high-level writing skills could probably smash out an essay in 3 days, edit it on the 4th, and get an HD in first-year.

But if you lack those skills and aren't the best writer, nothing's stopping you from spending many hours over a 2-week period writing and editing your essay. This is the experience of most people getting good grades in uni, from what I can glean talking to people etc. :)

Haha okay thanks Brenden!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 06:00:27 pm »
+2
Hey Elyse, I'm seriously considering UTS Comms for next year, as I'm really interested in working for nonprofits and other organisations in the future, but I'm not sure if my writing skills are good enough for it. How difficult did you find first year and what kind & level of skills do you think are highly necessary to achieve good marks?
Also are they any internships for the holidays still available?

Communications is an excellent degree for people who are interested in organisation work! Lots of politicians have the UTS Comms degree (Susan Templeman, Tanya Plibersek), as well as lots of Journalists (Caro Meldrum-Hanna), and lots of community/organisation workers too! It's one of the few degrees, in my opinion, that cover lots of ground and skills but at the same time gets you very intensely skilled in particular areas. Media, culture, citizenship, digital literacy, and so many other of the core subject areas would be very useful to someone wanting to work for an organisation like you've described.

First year was difficult because it was a shock to the system and I wasn't used to commuting. Tie that in with a bunch of personal dramas and it wasn't an easy year. But, by the end, I've realised that I survived, and did really well. If I didn't do so much paid work I could do even better, because you are very supported for all of your assignments and every tool you need to succeed is provided. Skills needed? The usual - hard working, interested in news/culture, and keep to adapt to a new setting (Uni!).

I think you'll be a great candidate for the Comms course :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jarin_

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 04:10:24 pm »
+3

Communications is an excellent degree for people who are interested in organisation work! Lots of politicians have the UTS Comms degree (Susan Templeman, Tanya Plibersek), as well as lots of Journalists (Caro Meldrum-Hanna), and lots of community/organisation workers too! It's one of the few degrees, in my opinion, that cover lots of ground and skills but at the same time gets you very intensely skilled in particular areas. Media, culture, citizenship, digital literacy, and so many other of the core subject areas would be very useful to someone wanting to work for an organisation like you've described.

First year was difficult because it was a shock to the system and I wasn't used to commuting. Tie that in with a bunch of personal dramas and it wasn't an easy year. But, by the end, I've realised that I survived, and did really well. If I didn't do so much paid work I could do even better, because you are very supported for all of your assignments and every tool you need to succeed is provided. Skills needed? The usual - hard working, interested in news/culture, and keep to adapt to a new setting (Uni!).

I think you'll be a great candidate for the Comms course :)

Thank you!! The course sounds perfect, can't wait to get started next year!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »
+1
Thank you!! The course sounds perfect, can't wait to get started next year!

It'll be fun to see you around Uni! I'm overseas for the first semester but second semester, say hey if you wanna connect! Always message on here if you need any help with the course :) What major are you considering?

Son of Thatcher

• Trailblazer
  • "Live free or die."
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »
+2
Thanks Elyse for the very informative article! As someone who is hoping to maybe team a Communications degree with Law at UTS, it was truly enlightening to hear your experience :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 06:36:39 pm by Son of Thatcher »
2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

"Be wary of so-called 'pure' intentions, lest you do more harm with open hands than with a clenched fist"

jarin_

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »

It'll be fun to see you around Uni! I'm overseas for the first semester but second semester, say hey if you wanna connect! Always message on here if you need any help with the course :) What major are you considering?

Haha will do!
I'm considering Journalism and public communication. But I might just do one if I find the workload too much

Raquelmartin990

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
Hi!!! I was just reading through the messages and saw that you worked as an intern at cosmopolitan magazine. I would like experience working there, but is it too early as im in year 12 this year 2017? Or should i do it after, in that gap after the HSC and the new year? Thanks heaps!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 09:46:13 am »
+3
https://theconversation.com/there-are-jobs-in-journalism-just-not-traditional-ones-77622

The Conversation posted this article last year but I've only just come across it. A recommended read for those who are worried about Journalism jobs not existing anymore!