Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:52 am

Poll

How often do you read a novel or non-fiction book (from cover to cover; textbooks don't count)

at least once a week
7 (14%)
at least once a month
13 (26%)
every few months
14 (28%)
never
5 (10%)
everyday
4 (8%)
every year
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Reading novels regularly  (Read 6501 times)

Individu

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Reading novels regularly
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:31:10 pm »
Just curious.

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Reading novels regularly
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:45 pm »
I voted everyday. Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss at the moment :)

Where are all the other readers at?

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:19:34 pm »
+2
I'm one of those poor little Year 12's who are currently suffering through VCE with barely enough time for sleep let alone leisurely reading. My English teacher's always going on about how important reading is and how it enlightens you mind and changes the way you think and opens you to new ideas, new lifestyles, new places and what have you. And then he goes and sets us a million and one bits of homework to do sooooo... no reading for me. :(

Before that, I was a reeeaaaally avid reader. I'm talking a book or two a day in between homework and whatever other commitments I had. For a while, I turned my bedroom into a library much to the amusement of my mother who always said that she never expected me to be such a bookworm because apparently growing up, I was always more into dress up and make up than reading (which is somewhat ironic because I NEVER wear makeup or dress up now).

I feel like reading isn't really appreciated all that much nowadays which is a really big shame. There are year 7's coming into my school who can read tweets and facebooks posts no problemo but sit them in front of a book and within 5 minutes, they'll be on their phones and scrolling through their phones or whatever. It's really really sad. I was looking up a bunch of uni/course information last week-ish and I stumbled across this really interesting article about how apparently more under 25's recognise Justin Bieber lyrics than Shakespeare quotes.

PS: It's the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death this year/month/whatever!

KittyKat16

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:39:55 pm »
Year 12 and also struggling to read just two books a month haha and the months go so quickly too! Time flies when you're always busy and buried under a pile of homework and study
2015 - Biology [33]
2016 - English Language [33], French [40], Psychology [43], Further Mathematics [37], Visual Communication Design [42] ATAR 95.55
2017-2021: (Hopefully) Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Business at Swinburne

nerdgasm

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 12:08:59 am »
+1
When I was in high school and probably late primary school, my father would take me out every weekend to a shopping centre, and I would read the books at the bookstores there (yeah, I'm morally bankrupt when it comes to reading books without paying for them). Unfortunately, this became a less frequent occurrence when I started uni, as my father's working hours changed and I didn't go out as much. I think it's a good idea to read frequently (not just novels and books, but also things such as essays and newspaper columns) because it fosters a good habit of concentration. Also, it develops skill in extracting meaning from paragraphs and blocks of text, which I think is a really important skill in the current Information Age. And if you're anything like me, there's a lot of fun in reading  a fiction book and trying to imagine/voice all the characters and their actions and emotions.

I clicked on the 'every few months' option. The two most recent books I read were "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde, and "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. Both of those I started reading at bookstores, before finishing them at home via Project Gutenberg. There are a number of books I would like to read; most of those are ones I started reading but never finished, including Artemis Fowl - The Last Guardian, Oblivion, Lord of the Flies, The Happiest Refugee, and the last two books in 'The Alchemist' series by Michael Scott.

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
When I was in high school and probably late primary school, my father would take me out every weekend to a shopping centre, and I would read the books at the bookstores there (yeah, I'm morally bankrupt when it comes to reading books without paying for them). Unfortunately, this became a less frequent occurrence when I started uni, as my father's working hours changed and I didn't go out as much.

Did you go to Borders? We used to go there at least 3 or 4 times a week and read until they kicked us out.

I miss Borders  :'(
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

Jesshope257

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
  • School: Padua College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:27:56 pm »
I'm one of those poor little Year 12's who are currently suffering through VCE with barely enough time for sleep let alone leisurely reading. My English teacher's always going on about how important reading is and how it enlightens you mind and changes the way you think and opens you to new ideas, new lifestyles, new places and what have you. And then he goes and sets us a million and one bits of homework to do sooooo... no reading for me. :(

Before that, I was a reeeaaaally avid reader. I'm talking a book or two a day in between homework and whatever other commitments I had. For a while, I turned my bedroom into a library much to the amusement of my mother who always said that she never expected me to be such a bookworm because apparently growing up, I was always more into dress up and make up than reading (which is somewhat ironic because I NEVER wear makeup or dress up now).

I feel like reading isn't really appreciated all that much nowadays which is a really big shame. There are year 7's coming into my school who can read tweets and facebooks posts no problemo but sit them in front of a book and within 5 minutes, they'll be on their phones and scrolling through their phones or whatever. It's really really sad. I was looking up a bunch of uni/course information last week-ish and I stumbled across this really interesting article about how apparently more under 25's recognise Justin Bieber lyrics than Shakespeare quotes.

PS: It's the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death this year/month/whatever!

I'm the exact same, I can't wait for it to be over,so I can binge read.
Back in my days of year 7 and 8 I used to read a book a night, I miss it.  :-[

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »
The two most recent books I read were "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde...
Just finished that yesterday, tbh I was a bit bored by it in parts but the ending was pretty good
How'd you like it?
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni

nerdgasm

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »
Did you go to Borders? We used to go there at least 3 or 4 times a week and read until they kicked us out.

I did, down at Westfield at Doncaster, before they closed down and got replaced by a sports apparel shop!

Just finished that yesterday, tbh I was a bit bored by it in parts but the ending was pretty good
How'd you like it?

I enjoyed it; felt it really picked up pace in the second half (which is always a good thing), and was a bit surprised at the final chapters. I have to say though, most of the references to art and culture probably flew right over my head (I sometimes read the editorial notes, but they kept spoiling the plot...)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »

Pretty sure if I actually bought all the books I read at Borders, they wouldn't've closed down  :'(

I did, down at Westfield at Doncaster, before they closed down and got replaced by a sports apparel shop!

O.O the one out north-west got replaced by Rebel Sport too.

MagicGecko

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • W3$T $IDe I$ B3$T $!D3
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:16 am »
I love reading books, especially fantasy. I just finished the "Elf stones of Shannara" and was pleasantly surprised when I found out that a tv series was made (although it was quite disappointing)!
But I can't juggle reading my books with uni, so I tend to only read them when I have actual time; such as when i'm on transport.
So it took me a looooong time to finish the above novel (~10 months actually...yeah I'm a slow reader) ahahaha and thats why I chose "every few months"  ;D

2013-2016:
Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical)(Honours) @ RMIT

~Full-Time Biomedical Engineer~

"im not crying there’s just overpriced college education in my eye" ~ abigalmills-tumblr