Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:37 am

Author Topic: Engineering (Product design) at Swinburne  (Read 6258 times)  Share 

chikedi

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Yo
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Swinburne Secondary
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Engineering (Product design) at Swinburne
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:46:46 pm »
Hello, I've just started year 12 this year, doing VCE, and I've recently  decided that I want to do an engineering(product design) degree, preferably at Swinburne, (i haven't found any other courses like that at any other uni's so any suggestions for backup uni's would be great) and I haven't chosen to do maths methods this year even though I need it. Is there any way that I can get into the course even though i didn't chose methods?  :o

Course I want to do >
http://www.future.swinburne.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Engineering-(Product-Design)-(Honours)-BH-EPD/local

I've already started my subjects and can't change :S
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:46:06 pm by chikedi »

Sabrina19

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Engineering (Product design) at Swinburne
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:52 pm »
You need to do methods or else you won't be eligible for the course, I would recommend you do Methods this year or else theres no other way of getting into the course, even if you put it down in your preferences but haven't met the prerequisites you are automatically not able to receive an offer, despite if you get an high atar.

The Prerequisites are:
Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or 25 in English other than EAL; and a study score of at least 20 in Maths: Mathematical Methods (CAS)

http://www.vtac.edu.au/CourseSearch/searchguide.htm?courseCode=3400234121

chikedi

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Yo
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »
I was just wondering whether there were any courses that could get me into engineering. Like  tafe or a linking course.

IT_Failure

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »
You should definitely ask your school if you can change your choice of classes, the earlier you do this the better, (MUST be before first SAC).

Mr. Study

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Onion Knight
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 01:17:28 pm »
Hey,

I had a friend who was in a similar predicament to you. You could do a Diploma of Engineering:

http://www.mibt.vic.edu.au/courses/bachelor-engineering-deakin
http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/2612/?courseview=domestic

I'm not too sure how to enroll in either diploma, especially at Monash, but I do know that the MIBT Engineering Diploma is essentially a pathway into 2nd Year Engineering. It does sound enticing but remember that it costs $20,000 for just the one year, which, I think but I'm not sure, goes onto HECs but still, it is definitely a lot more compared to getting in 'directly', which is just roughly $8,000. (It's just something to note)

I echo what IT_Failure said. That is, try and enroll into Math Methods, it will undoubtedly be better for you as even if you don't meet the minimum pre-requisite of 20, or 25, for Math Methods, then at least you have the MIBT option as a back up plan.

If you wanted to know when is the latest to officially enrol in a VCE subject, then check out this document:
 http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/handbook/2014/Important_Administrative_Dates_2014.pdf

'Monday 24 February
ENROLMENT 1
Schools are required to finalise the following data by
this date:
• VCE Units 1 to 4
• VCAL Certificates and VCAL units
• VET Certificates and units of competence/modules
• Registration of IB students (Year 11 and 12). '

(If you want an anecdote, I enrolled into Chemistry a little over 1 and a half weeks into the semester. I had told my school that it was a pre-requisite for a course I wanted to do, so your school should be more than understanding in your circumstances as well)

Good luck!

EDIT: I should say that I don't even know if that is the 'official' date for schools to finalise enrollment data, it was something that I thought sounded 'about right'. So, don't quote me on the date.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:18:59 pm by Mr. Study »
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

chikedi

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Yo
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »
I found out that i could do an associate degree in engineering and use that to get into the Engineering product design course. ^_^