Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 06:59:02 pm

Author Topic: Gene expression  (Read 2353 times)  Share 

captkirk

• Forum Regular
  • Hello
  • Respect: 0
Gene expression
« on: October 04, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm struggling to remember the steps in transcription and translation.

I don't know what to do 😰
581 words remaining

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: Gene expression
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:59:12 pm »
+7
Hi, best way for you to remember it will be different for different people, for me I just wrote it out a lot. It may help you to just keep writing it, and rely on reading it less and less until you can just write it from memory.  I used different colours to help me remember the different dot points, as well as to help remember how many dot points there were (eg red, yellow, blue for transcription for 3 dot points - Think of the primary colours song) Here's my descriptions for transcription and translation if it helps. Also it may help to print definitions (colour coded if possible) and stick them everywhere. The more times you read it the more likely you are to remember it. (My psych teacher stuck definitions to her kettle, I have them all over my room)

Transcription:
-RNA polymerase binds to the promotor region upstream of the coding region of a gene.
-RNA polymerase copies the template strand of the DNA within the coding region of the gene. It joins together RNA nucleotides, building in a 5' to 3' direction.
-When it reaches a terminator sequence the RNA polymerase stops copying and releases the pre-mRNA strand.

To help me remember this I think Start, Middle, Middle, End. Before I write it out I write SMME on the paper. It reminds me that there's 3 dot points and the middle one has 2 sentences.
The first dot point (S) is when the RNA polymerase binds,
the middle are when transcription occurs and
the end is when it detaches.

Translation:
-Translation begins when ribosomal subunits bind to the 5' end of a mRNA molecule.
-The first amino acid of a polypeptide chain will be added when the ribosome reaches a START codon.
-tRNA molecules bind to amino acids in the cytosol and transfer them to the ribosome.
-If a tRNA molecule's anticodon is complementary to an mRNA's codon, it will enter the binding site of a ribosome.
-The ribosome will then catalyse the formation of a peptide bond. The amino acid is joined to the growing polypeptide chain.
-This process continues until a STOP codon, where the polypeptide chain is released.

To help remember this i think Start (2), tRNA (2), r (1), End (1)
Start is the first 2 sentences where the process is beginning
tRNA is the next 2 where the tRNA is the main part
r is the 5th one that talks about the ribosomes role.
End is the last one where translation stops.

EDIT: OMG My eyes....Those font colours look horrendous (it works better on paper i promise)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:00:46 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

captkirk

• Forum Regular
  • Hello
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:28:26 pm »
Hi, best way for you to remember it will be different for different people, for me I just wrote it out a lot. It may help you to just keep writing it, and rely on reading it less and less until you can just write it from memory.  I used different colours to help me remember the different dot points, as well as to help remember how many dot points there were (eg red, yellow, blue for transcription for 3 dot points - Think of the primary colours song) Here's my descriptions for transcription and translation if it helps. Also it may help to print definitions (colour coded if possible) and stick them everywhere. The more times you read it the more likely you are to remember it. (My psych teacher stuck definitions to her kettle, I have them all over my room)

Transcription:
-RNA polymerase binds to the promotor region upstream of the coding region of a gene.
-RNA polymerase copies the template strand of the DNA within the coding region of the gene. It joins together RNA nucleotides, building in a 5' to 3' direction.
-When it reaches a terminator sequence the RNA polymerase stops copying and releases the pre-mRNA strand.

To help me remember this I think Start, Middle, Middle, End. Before I write it out I write SMME on the paper. It reminds me that there's 3 dot points and the middle one has 2 sentences.
The first dot point (S) is when the RNA polymerase binds,
the middle are when transcription occurs and
the end is when it detaches.

Translation:
-Translation begins when ribosomal subunits bind to the 5' end of a mRNA molecule.
-The first amino acid of a polypeptide chain will be added when the ribosome reaches a START codon.
-tRNA molecules bind to amino acids in the cytosol and transfer them to the ribosome.
-If a tRNA molecule's anticodon is complementary to an mRNA's codon, it will enter the binding site of a ribosome.
-The ribosome will then catalyse the formation of a peptide bond. The amino acid is joined to the growing polypeptide chain.
-This process continues until a STOP codon, where the polypeptide chain is released.

To help remember this i think Start (2), tRNA (2), r (1), End (1)
Start is the first 2 sentences where the process is beginning
tRNA is the next 2 where the tRNA is the main part
r is the 5th one that talks about the ribosomes role.
End is the last one where translation stops.

EDIT: OMG My eyes....Those font colours look horrendous (it works better on paper i promise)

Holy crap that yellow is bright lol.
Thanks for your method. I'll try it out :D
581 words remaining

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »
+5
You can also try taking a look at past VCAA assessor's reports to see what you need to know for transcription and translation, as they are often more concise, and are correct and sufficient answers. :)

Specific VCAA stuff you might wanna look at (the reports)
- 2016 SA Q 6b. for transcription
- 2015 SA Q 7b. for mRNA modification
- 2014 SA Q 7a. for translation
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:35:23 pm by LifeisaConstantStruggle »
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:12:00 am »
+1
Hey everyone,

I'm struggling to remember the steps in transcription and translation.

I don't know what to do 😰

Have you tried:
-watching videos of transcription and translation online?
-explaining why it happens in the order it does to someone else?
-creating a flowchart/diagram of the steps and displaying it in your room or locker door?
-listening to a recording explaining the processes while you do mundane tasks?