Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 07:24:06 pm

Author Topic: Mathematics Question Thread  (Read 1294186 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Mathematics Question Thread
« Reply #4275 on: July 19, 2019, 04:21:21 pm »
+1
Hi there!

I was just wondering to anyone who's doing CSSA or has done CSSA in the past, what trial papers would be the best to study for? I'm currently doing the James Ruse and the Baulkham Hills trial papers, but I was wondering is there any schools trial papers that may seem redundant to study for trials? as in its level of difficulty would never be in the CSSA?

Thank you!!
CSSA past papers tend to have considerable difficulty compared to most past papers. Among selective papers, it's generally regarded that Sydney Grammar offers the hardest of the lot, so you can probably focus in that direction.

I doubt any paper would be "redundant" necessarily speaking, but it is interesting to note that despite having reasonable difficulty, James Ruse papers aren't actually the hardest

(Note that you can always start by asking your school if they have past papers they can offer you first. But presumably you've already done that)

boulos

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4276 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54:21 pm »
Hey there, i am unsure on what i'm doing wrong in the second part of this question, and the working out is confusing me. I keep getting the final answer as -1 but it's not. Hope you can help

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4277 on: July 19, 2019, 10:00:44 pm »
+2
Hey there, i am unsure on what i'm doing wrong in the second part of this question, and the working out is confusing me. I keep getting the final answer as -1 but it's not. Hope you can help
What particular aspect of this question is troubling you?
The "hence" in the second part pretty much directly tells you that you need to use something from the first part to solve it. Hopefully, you can recognise it is integration by recognition.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #4278 on: July 19, 2019, 11:00:32 pm »
Hey Guys!
I just did a question from the 2006 paper 7a and didnt understand how the answer was three?
The question was to let 'a' and' b' be the solutions of x squared minus 3x +1= 0 and find a + 1/a
this was a stepwise question with part a being find the product of the roots which equals to 1 when i solved it.

I tried solving it a rearranged it to a plus b /ab divided by 1/b.
This further equals 3/1 divided by 1/b and b becomes equal to three which was the correct answer.
Is this the right process?
-KgkG-

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #4279 on: July 20, 2019, 12:24:00 am »
+4
Hey Guys!
I just did a question from the 2006 paper 7a and didnt understand how the answer was three?
The question was to let 'a' and' b' be the solutions of x squared minus 3x +1= 0 and find a + 1/a
this was a stepwise question with part a being find the product of the roots which equals to 1 when i solved it.

I tried solving it a rearranged it to a plus b /ab divided by 1/b.
This further equals 3/1 divided by 1/b and b becomes equal to three which was the correct answer.
Is this the right process?

I'm not quite sure what you've done there, seems a tad dodgy on inspection (and tbh got me a bit confused).

An easier method (by easier I mean less convoluted) would be to note that the roots a and b satisfy the following set of equations (by sum and product of roots):
a+b=3 (1)
ab=1 (2)
From (2), note that b=1/a. Substituting this into (1), we get that a+1/a=3.

The fact that the first part forced you to find the product of roots indicates you should use that result in some way, which should be the case for all 'step-wise questions'.

Hope this helps :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:26:28 am by fun_jirachi »
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

boulos

• Adventurer
« Reply #4280 on: July 20, 2019, 10:50:04 am »
What particular aspect of this question is troubling you?
The "hence" in the second part pretty much directly tells you that you need to use something from the first part to solve it. Hopefully, you can recognise it is integration by recognition.

Yea i recognised it was integration, I rearranged to get the integration of xe^-x, but i am some how not getting the answer. And the working out is pretty confusing.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #4281 on: July 20, 2019, 11:11:20 am »
+1
As with many previous posts, the key here is that 'every derivative gives us another integral' and vice versa. If a question asks us to differentiate something, then asks us to integrate a similar function to the derivative, it's pretty much asking us to manipulate the integral and use the result in some way.

From part a),
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

boulos

• Adventurer
« Reply #4282 on: July 20, 2019, 11:52:00 am »
As with many previous posts, the key here is that 'every derivative gives us another integral' and vice versa. If a question asks us to differentiate something, then asks us to integrate a similar function to the derivative, it's pretty much asking us to manipulate the integral and use the result in some way.

From part a),

Got it, saw where i went wrong. Thanks mate

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4283 on: July 22, 2019, 07:32:45 am »
Hi PPl
Obscure question!!!
Year 11 student posting 'ere seeking a brief explanation from a 'senior' on the chain rule and why it is integral to mathematics, is applicable to real life and why it is worth learning!*

*For a mathematics journal i am keeping as part of an assessment!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4284 on: July 22, 2019, 09:58:19 am »
+1
Hi PPl
Obscure question!!!
Year 11 student posting 'ere seeking a brief explanation from a 'senior' on the chain rule and why it is integral to mathematics, is applicable to real life and why it is worth learning!*

Without spoiling your assignment too much, in my opinion the main benefit of the chain rule lies in a certain concept that happens to be taught in MX1. It is the concept of analysing rates of change, among variables that are somehow related.

The chain rule says that \( \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx}\). So if you want to analyse how \(y\) changes with respect to \(x\), but you know stuff about \(u\)....

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4285 on: July 22, 2019, 10:17:17 am »
Thanks very much.
I would be glad of any other contributions from anyone!!!!
It all helps!
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4286 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:08 am »
+1
Hi PPl
Obscure question!!!

Hi there, engineer here.

In the real world, everything is measured in rates of change, and we can make various predictions based on these rates. For example, suppose you drop a ball from a cliff, and you want to know where the ball will be after a certain time. To calculate this, you need to know the forces are acting on the ball (which will tell you how the speed of the ball is changing). This is, of course, it's weight, which is the force due to gravity. Now, the force acting on an objective is equal to it's RATE OF CHANGE of momentum with respect to time. The fact that it's a rate of change allows us to use elementary calculus to determine the position of the ball as a function of time.

Basic differentiation provides us with the tools to calculate these rates of change. However, unlike the idealised problems you deal with in high school calculus, problems in the real world are multivariable, meaning that they depend on a multitude of variables. In the above example, other factors that come into play are air resistance, which depends on the density of the air as well as the geometry of the ball. If you were to drop the ball from a significant altitude, the density of the air would change as the ball falls through the earth's atmosphere, which would in turn change the air resistance. Thus, you need to take into account the rate of change of numerous variables. The chain rule allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function that depends on numerous variables.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #4287 on: July 22, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
I have a question from the 2018 CSSA Trials!
Answer is C.
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #4288 on: July 22, 2019, 01:23:11 pm »
+3
I have a question from the 2018 CSSA Trials!
Answer is C.

I'm not too sure if this is the proper way to go about the question, but this is how I would end up with the answer C:

Since f(-x) = -f(x), this means that f(x) has odd symmetry. On the other hand, if f(x)=f(-x), the graph would have even symmetry.

I would recommend doing a rough sketch if you're still unsure, but basically, since (3,7) is a maximum turning point, there will be a minimum turning point at (-3,-7), which is symmetrical to the maximum but negative. (If the condition was even symmetry, there would be a maximum turning point again at (-3,7) )

Hopefully this makes some sort of sense... If not, let me know and I'll demonstrate with a diagram :)
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
« Reply #4289 on: July 22, 2019, 04:41:43 pm »
Ahhhh I totally get it.
Thanks so much!
And if it was f(x) = f(-x) there would be a max turning point at (-3,7)??
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D