Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:30:40 am

Author Topic: nights' vce journal  (Read 1799 times)

nights

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
nights' vce journal
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:05:29 pm »
+9
hello :0

thought keeping one of these journals would be a nice way to keep myself healthy n sane during vce. hopefully i can stay committed!

some brief info abt me:
- goes to a school in s.e suburbs
- only doing one 3/4 subject this year (philo!)
- other subjects include chem, englang, methods, general further and chinese sl
- kinda tired

gonna start off by saying i have my first 3/4 sac tomorrow and im.. not sure how to feel since ive been getting by with bare minimum grades since year 9 and this is the first time grades actually. count towards the atar
i'd be super happy with an 80% but even that seems rly far fetched.. but at the same time im trying not to fall into that cycle of letting numbers get to the better of me! i really need to make up my mind huh

nights
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:10:39 pm by nights »
vce 2019-2020: english language | lote | maths methods | further | chemistry | philosophy
monash university 2021-2024

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: nights' vce journal
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:35:06 pm »
+5
Hey there, Nights! Nice to see your journal around. I did a lot of the same subjects, except for Philosophy U1 - 4 and Chinese SL U3/4.

gonna start off by saying i have my first 3/4 sac tomorrow and im.. not sure how to feel since ive been getting by with bare minimum grades since year 9 and this is the first time grades actually. count towards the atar
Good luck for tomorrow! 

Here's a couple of questions for you out of curiosity:
1. What are you hoping for beyond VCE (i.e. courses after Year 12 or general goals/ ambitions)?
2. What sorts of extracurricular activities do you do?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:38:21 pm »
+3
Welcome, fellow Philosophy geek!  :D

Since we have it in common, I'll talk to you about Philosophy. How are you finding Descartes' and Smart? I'm assuming that's who your first SAC is on, since I have it on Wednesday too.  :'( I'm most worried for the heavy theory questions and the contemporary issue application to the prescribed texts.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

nights

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:57:23 pm »
+1
How are you finding Descartes' and Smart? I'm assuming that's who your first SAC is on, since I have it on Wednesday too.  :'( I'm most worried for the heavy theory questions and the contemporary issue application to the prescribed texts.
HELLO
i think sure our sac is based entirely on theory (outline and evaluate, short answer)? i thought we didn't need to do contemporary application until we learn more about the essay component in unit 4
some concepts are still pretty confusing to put into ur own words so i'm pretty much relying on paraphrasing from the textbook atm :/
vce 2019-2020: english language | lote | maths methods | further | chemistry | philosophy

nights

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »
+1
Hey there, Nights! Nice to see your journal around. I did a lot of the same subjects, except for Philosophy U1 - 4 and Chinese SL U3/4.
 Good luck for tomorrow! 
!!!!!! thank you
btw is there a particular reason why didn't continue CSL into 3/4????
1. What are you hoping for beyond VCE (i.e. courses after Year 12 or general goals/ ambitions)?
i try not to think about these things but. i don't see myself doing much? like sure i'll take on a degree bc of expectations but beyond that i kinda just wanna live in the middle of nowhere making just enough money to keep myself alive and happy ya feel
2. What sorts of extracurricular activities do you do?
apart from language learning (if that counts) i don't..... do anything sadly
i used to be really involved but i kinda dropped all of that after i moved schools
really want a part time job this year though
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:15:07 pm by nights »

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:11 pm »
+5
Didn't want to get too personal on your journal, so here's a spoiler.
btw is there a particular reason why didn't continue CSL into 3/4????
Long story short: Was not enjoying it, was terrible at it, was not improving despite trying for ages. I was doing Chinese U1/2 in Year 10 while also studying other U1/2s and figured that I needed to cut down the following year. Chinese U3/4 didn't make the list. Did do VCE Japanese SL though!

apart from language learning (if that counts) i don't..... do anything sadly
i used to be really involved but i kinda dropped all of that after i moved schools
really want a part time job this year though
Language learning definitely counts. It's okay if you don't do much now - some people like to keep their lives simple and that can be a great thing. Good luck with the job hunting! :)
VTAC Info Thread

nights

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:19:55 pm »
+1
Didn't want to get too personal on your journal, so here's a spoiler.
Long story short: Was not enjoying it, was terrible at it, was not improving despite trying for ages. I was doing Chinese U1/2 in Year 10 while also studying other U1/2s and figured that I needed to cut down the following year. Chinese U3/4 didn't make the list. Did do VCE Japanese SL though!
fair enough!
if you don't mind me asking, are you of native speaker background? there's the whole thing on native speakers making it unfair for non native speakers and hence the competitiveness etc but im not gonna get into that since i decided to commit to the subject as a non native speaker myself (did go to a chinese instructed school most of year 1 overseas tho, thats the only reason i think i can cope/ended up continuing the language tbh)
did you find jpn a lot easier to learn?

Good luck with the job hunting! :)
got a job interview at reading cinemas the other day ! got rejected (hheh) but im still hunting

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 11:18:27 pm »
+1
Another spoiler for the same reason as last time.
fair enough!
if you don't mind me asking, are you of native speaker background? there's the whole thing on native speakers making it unfair for non native speakers and hence the competitiveness etc but im not gonna get into that since i decided to commit to the subject as a non native speaker myself (did go to a chinese instructed school most of year 1 overseas tho, thats the only reason i think i can cope/ended up continuing the language tbh)
I am of background, however, my family doesn't really speak Mandarin (we speak another dialect), so that made Chinese classes rather difficult. I wanted to study Chinese as an elective at uni as well, but some minor issues meant I went back to Japanese. I don't harbour any animosity towards Chinese at all and hope to improve my Mandarin in the future.

did you find jpn a lot easier to learn?
Kind of? On one hand, the writing systems are all either Chinese-based (kanji) or alphabet-based (hiragana and katakana), which makes it slightly easier. On the other hand, having to learn another language entirely was tough. In the end though, it was well worth it - I've had a lot of opportunities and met loads of friends this way. The same could also be said of Chinese, although my luck has yet to change there.

got a job interview at reading cinemas the other day ! got rejected (hheh) but im still hunting
At least you know now how to conduct yourself during a job interview and you know that your resume is up to scratch! Keep persevering and I'm sure you'll get one soon. :)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 04:30:15 pm »
Nice work on getting the interview! Bummer you didn't get the position, but something else will come up. What kinda jobs are you looking for mostly? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

nights

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 03:33:40 pm »
+1
Nice work on getting the interview! Bummer you didn't get the position, but something else will come up. What kinda jobs are you looking for mostly? :)
preferably in retail/customer service! pretty much anywhere that isn't fast food since ive worked there before :o

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 01:19:54 pm »
How's Yr11 been going, nights?