Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:25 am

Author Topic: Do you even SWOTVAC?  (Read 62676 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Do you even SWOTVAC?
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »
+1
So, what approach do you guys take to SWOTVAC?
I know some people like to get pretty organised and even plan their breaks to maximise productivity etc etc.
I pretty much go for the "you've been a dickhead all semester, now you should cover a large quantity of content in a short amount of time" approach. This sort of backlashes on me, because after I complete some massive task I get this sense of achievement that means I go into a small lull before I figure out what my next massive task will be. (Hence making a post about SWOTVAC during SWOTVAC on a website that's designed to boost scores)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Do you even SWOTVAC?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:27:15 pm »
+1
Cram, cram, and cram.

Ideally, you want to be using that time to consolidate the thorough and regular study you did in the semester, but loljks hardly anyone is like that.

What I like to do is to spend 2-3 days catching up on whatever I have to catch up on. Then, revise like crazy. Personally I like to read my notes and write important points. I try and do this about 2-3 times through all my notes (~50 lectures for the sem).

If you have prac questions, do it after the first writing, and in your second writing, write notes + things you got wrong or fluked to get them write next time.

Might seem a bit wasteful, but it kinda works for me.

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »
+8
I pretty much go for the "you've been a dickhead all semester, now you should cover a large quantity of content in a short amount of time" approach.
^ this

/endthread
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »
All i'm doing is to regulate my sleeping schedule and solve the past exam questions...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:16:35 pm by BigAl »
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

TheManG

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Melbourne High School
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »
All i'm doing is to regulate my sleeping schedule and solve the past exam questions...I remember cramming for the VCE English exam..I literally had no shower for two weeks..and didnt leave my study area expect for food and toilet..It worked :P

Okay ... I didn't need to know about the shower ... But okay...

Seriously, I am using this week to revise and revise and I need to finish writing my summary notes. I've found a couple of beautiful books with uni style exam questions, which you guys can find for biology, chemistry, physics and even medicine haha, and the best part is they are old editions . => longer time to keep the books.

Sigh but to be completely blunt, I am shitting myself. ;(
Finished VCE.

If you would like help in getting English Essays corrected, just pm me.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »
Okay ... I didn't need to know about the shower ... But okay...

Seriously, I am using this week to revise and revise and I need to finish writing my summary notes. I've found a couple of beautiful books with uni style exam questions, which you guys can find for biology, chemistry, physics and even medicine haha, and the best part is they are old editions . => longer time to keep the books.

Sigh but to be completely blunt, I am shitting myself. ;(
ok..edited :P
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:20:07 pm »
Hmmm...this is my plan for tonight and tomorrow.

Tonight:
IC - summarise Ethnography of Communication
Maths - Compile stack of earlier tutes + assignment questions
Tuesday:
Do Chemistry 2012 exam
IC - Summarise International Sociolinguistics + Conversational Analysis
Bio study - read earlier lectures
Maths - Begin covering Exercise Sheets on Pop. Genetics

I've been summarising fairly consistently throughout the semester for Biology and have pretty much got all my summaries done (covering like 28-29 lectures), apart from some slides that I'm just going to read over. I guess I'll just keep reading them, and reading them...and reading them (dunno if I should write more though)

Chemistry, I'm going to finish off my tute book first (I think there's only 1 page remaining) and then maybe get stuck on some exam practise. There's no more lectures which I feel I have to summarise quickly. And then during the exam practise I can get into writing logbooks with my mistakes.

Breadth, cram cram cram I have to start cramming tomorrrow, because I haven't really paid attention and apparently the exam is straightforward...to people who studied.

Maths, I think I'll just compile a stack of tutorial, assignment and exercise sheet questions and get through as many as I can.

I don't feel the "cram" stress for this SWOTVAC, which is weird, because now I feel too relaxed and slack during this week.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:25:23 pm by Shenz0r »
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

Alwin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +241
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:48:12 pm »
+35
SWOTVAC LOGIC:

2012:  Methods [48] Physics [49]
2013:  English [40] (oops) Chemistry [46] Spesh [42] Indo SL [34] Uni Maths: Melb UMEP [4.5] Monash MUEP [just for a bit of fun]
2014:  BAeroEng/BComm

A pessimist says a glass is half empty, an optimist says a glass is half full.
An engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.0

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
+6
As said by the second years above, CRAM CRAM CRAM (for uni swotvac anyway). What I did last year was to do a whole day on a unit at a time, and then rotate through units as each day passed. Made small summary books (A5 size) for each subject (was kinda rushed, but had the main content I had to understand in one section and the stuff that I had to rote learn in another section). Then going through tute questions (this will help a lot, as the questions on exams are sometimes similar to the tute questions, although not all the time). Then moving onto exams, learning how to do any questions that come up year after year (although some units you don't get many exams for).

Basically in first semester last year that was around 11 hours a day for 10 days or so straight. It payed off in the end.

This year, I have a whiteboard drawn up with the next 4 weeks, with what unit I'm going to do each day, going to make a list of topics that were covered in each unit. The problems that I'm running into this year are though,
1. Last year I went to pretty much all lectures, knew what we had to learn even if I didn't understand it at that point. This year I missed a lot of lectures during the last couple of weeks while trying to get assessments done. So I really have 3 or 4 weeks of lectures to listen to before I even start....
2. I have slightly less time than last year's swotvac period, and an extra exam.
3. Units are actually hard and more content compared to the first year units last year.
4. Got my last major assessment done today, went to sleep at 6am, got 3 hrs sleep before I had to wake up and hand it in. I'm now down and tired and have my sleeping pattern shifted 8 hours or so.. Need a day or so break just to get back to being able to work.... So that's even less time.

I've probably gone off on a tangent here, but I think the main points are use your time wisely, but don't overdo it that you lose more time. A day or half a day break is good every so often to let the information sink in, and rest up a little. But for eng/sci, definitely go over past tute questions.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:39 pm »
+3
Jesus Christ, you guys make me feel so guilty... Today I read half a journal article, ate a pizza, and watched half of The Silverlining Playbook. And made this thread. *sigh*. Better go read stuff/study. (Maybe)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:48:14 pm »
Jesus Christ, you guys make me feel so guilty... Today I read half a journal article, ate a pizza, and watched half of The Silverlining Playbook. And made this thread. *sigh*. Better go read stuff/study. (Maybe)

Don't beat yourself up. I woke up at 1pm, sat down at my desk and did some physics problems (like 5 of them), got bored, went to the gym, then back home to sleep. I wasn't even tired, just bored :-\
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:25 pm »
+10
I've recently decided that despite being 6 weeks behind on both the chem and eco courses that now is a great time to be rewatching all 10 seasons of Friends.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

DisaFear

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bravery is not a function of firepower
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:36 pm »
Different people have different expectations to fulfill as well as standards. Try and be consistent.

My SWOTVAC consists of finishing my notes for my units, then doing prac problems/tute questions, then practice exams
Managed to get through 100 lecture slides today and yesterday, just 260 to go :(

(AN chocolate) <tisaraiscool> Does it taste like b^3's brain?
BSc (Hons) @ Monash (Double major in Chemistry)

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:03:30 pm »
Study cave.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:11:50 pm »
+1
Also, Game of Thrones plays a key role in SWOTVAC. Only highlight.