Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:15:36 am

Author Topic: Hey. I don't know what my goals are.  (Read 1382 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Hey. I don't know what my goals are.
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:04 pm »
+11
23/4/19

I don't know if this is too ambitious or broad. The concept of being the 'best' version of myself is still not completely clear to me. There are a lot of areas of my life, I think, require continual improvement. This kind of goal transcends Year 12, which I'm completing at the moment. My goals are below.

I. CtrlC+CtrlV from my VCE Journey Journal:

JR's Four Lifestyle Essentials
1) Sufficient sleep (9 hours)
2) Time 4 Relaxation (don't know how much time I'll set aside for this)
3) Exercise/Physical activity stuff (60mins, as the Department of Health states)
4) A Healthy Balanced Diet - The pyramid and Aus Guide to Healthy Eating should help me out with that :)

II. SELF-DISCIPLINE & PERSEVERANCE
1) I struggle so much with this. For the longest time, I thought motivation was the key to getting things done. I've since found that motivation is the complete opposite of something everlasting, and not much more than a feeling. I don't want to wait for the perfect moment anymore. I also feel like I give up way too easily.
2) Especially during the school holidays and there's a day on the calendar when there's literally nothing to do, I desire to be more productive. Getting out of the house would be a great start!

III. SOCIAL INTERACTION
To have the courage to start the conversation with others. Period. Also to 'improve' my sense of humour; I feel like I take life way too seriously.

IV. MINDSET
To be more positive and grateful for the little things.

Stay tuned! My lifelong mission begins in 3...2...1...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:04:17 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
Re: I desire to be the best version of myself (eventually)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 07:50:19 am »
+1
Super excited to keep checking out your posts!!
I love the idea of reducing goals down to four key ones. Your ones are definitely worth thinking about too as they're pretty central things to remember in the craziness of year 12 :)

-Gracie
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:14:08 pm »
+3
8/5/19

Help me. I've lost my sense of humour. Life has gotten too serious, and I feel that I don't have enough fun. I still hang with a good group of friends at school, but their "jokes" don't amuse most of the time. You know that kind of fake laugh you make when you don't want interactions to be awkward? School and studying is just too serious, and honestly I can't really see that changing with a barrage of assessments coming my way.

Sleep is ok, but I did have a lapse on Tuesday night when I could not get myself to fall asleep until about 2.30am. (Mainly due to the cold weather, funnily enough). Relaxation - ah. What does it really mean to relax? It's so hard for me to take my mind off school and studying, even on the weekends. I've kind of forgotten how to relax as well. I'm also having difficulty incorporating a substantial amount of physical exertion into my daily routine. Like, I have to use the car to get to and from school, and it's too cold and depressing outside to even get me to think about walking in that kind of weather. My diet is ok, I suppose. Just crave anything hot, given the weather.

Self-discipline and perseverance: When I'm not told what exactly to do or else face the consequences, I struggle to get myself to do some work.

Social interaction: I am incessantly encouraged to start the conversation. But heck to the no. I hate starting conversations. I kind of just wait around until my friends get around to discussing something interesting.

Mindset: The little things are just that. Microscopic and oftentimes get lost in the sea of seemingly larger, more important matters. But I've got a home, a loving family, a (somewhat (nah jk it's pretty good)) quality education, an internet connection, a heating system, warm clothing, and hot food.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:41:29 pm »
+2
I've lost my sense of humour. Life has gotten too serious, and I feel that I don't have enough fun.

Hey there, I'm loving this idea of working towards being the best version of yourself! I think it's really inspiring! Although I think it's pretty hard to define and to really know when you've reached your optimum level because I definitely believe it's a lifelong commitment since we are always, always learning things and ways to better ourselves. And your goals as Gracie mentioned, are very important for Year 12, but even after, to continuously want to improve is a great mindset to have.

I definitely understand the seriousness of Year 12, it's difficult to laugh and really have fun with so much on your mind. I think the gratitude part is really useful as well, because it's so easy to fall into the trap of nothing really being good, not only in our own lives, but also in the world with so many bad people and bad things happening, and however menial it may seem, I've found appreciating little things, creates hope and happiness and reminds us there is a lot of light, if only we choose to see it. Sorry I can't offer much advice as I'm pretty much in the same boat and never really 'relax' or have fun anymore, but I am still here to support your goals and hopefully apply that mentality to my life too!

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 08:24:21 pm »
+1
8/6/19

Being the best version of myself is quite difficult to quantify. I have spent most of this day dwelling on how badly I felt I did on this week's Methods SAC. (Marks haven't come out yet, but my mind has come up with near-endless possibilities as to what could happen. I might get kicked out of the subject. I might get completely demoralised) I can't get it off my mind. It hasn't helped that I've been practically glued to my house today. Nowhere to go to.  :-\

My sleep has been better. But I am having quite the struggle with implementing more physical activity, seeing as I don't do a sport and knowing that I live in an unwalkable area (what I mean is that, the services, utilities, shopping centres, restaurants can only really be accessed by car/public transport (but don't even get me started on the sheer unreliability of the bus services in my area). They're all too far to walk to!) Walking to school is also rather unpractical too. Diet-wise, I feel my vegetable intake is pathetic. Doesn't help that I can't really cook anything significant other than rice (but then again the rice cooker does most of the work  :P)

Self-discipline, as you might expect, is like the Gold Coast theme park rollercoasters for me. School days I'm usually fine, but on weekends (particularly this weekend as it's a long weekend) it's a real struggle.

I've begun isolating myself from people at school. Not because I have no friends, just that I need time alone. And I feel that I need to look for more academically-minded friends.

Three things I'm grateful for:
1. I have an internet connection.
2. I have a secure source of food.
3. I have a fully functioning body. Isn't it amazing?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:26:52 pm by JR_StudyEd »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:22:13 pm »
How have things been?

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:51 pm »
+1
How have things been?
Not great. I’ve been forced to miss school due to a virus, and am probably going to miss the entire week. I’m losing interest in Methods, Biology and Chemistry. I’m starting to lose interest in life. Activities that used to bring me joy don’t seem to be having the same effect on me that they used to. I feel lazy, but quite helpless due to my illness. Leaving the house or taking a shower seems too overwhelming.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 04:00:43 pm »
Get well soon. I know how draining it is to be sick but I'm sure that as you recover you'll get some of that motivation back!