Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:41:54 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4784056 times)  Share 

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #975 on: October 21, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »
Yeah it's interesting how the introduction is longer than the discussion. We need to put the summary there too of our interview in the introduction of I am not mistaken?

Oh yeah it says, "briefly summarise your key findings"

I'll need to fix up my intro a little in that case.

How would I summarise the key findings though? Does this mean if I wanted undertook an identity approach, I summarise how the identity of the person was represented in their words and has changed? Or am is this on the wrong track? Open to anyone.

Oooh ICC people, help me out pleasee! :)

Do we HAVE to use APA style referencing for assignment 2? I used MLA for Assignment 1 and didn't get told off and I am soo used to mla now so I cbs learning a new style :-\

Also, a bit of a noob Q but we don't have to provide the whole interview (Q's with responses) in the appendix right? It's just the Interview Q's (without responses) + consent statement that we have to include there, I'm guessing?? Thanks in advance!!

* Up to you I guess but it's probably good to start writing with the apa style since that one is most commonly used for uni assignments
* Just the interview questions without responses, i might include my interview responses so that I can refer back to them if I need too

Note that the reader will probably not refer to your appendix when you say refer to appendix lol.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #976 on: October 21, 2012, 04:06:32 pm »
Yeah it's interesting how the introduction is longer than the discussion. We need to put the summary there too of our interview in the introduction of I am not mistaken?

Oh yeah it says, "briefly summarise your key findings"

I'll need to fix up my intro a little in that case.

How would I summarise the key findings though? Does this mean if I wanted undertook an identity approach, I summarise how the identity of the person was represented in their words and has changed? Or am is this on the wrong track? Open to anyone.

Oooh ICC people, help me out pleasee! :)

Do we HAVE to use APA style referencing for assignment 2? I used MLA for Assignment 1 and didn't get told off and I am soo used to mla now so I cbs learning a new style :-\

Also, a bit of a noob Q but we don't have to provide the whole interview (Q's with responses) in the appendix right? It's just the Interview Q's (without responses) + consent statement that we have to include there, I'm guessing?? Thanks in advance!!

* Up to you I guess but it's probably good to start writing with the apa style since that one is most commonly used for uni assignments
* Just the interview questions without responses, i might include my interview responses so that I can refer back to them if I need too

Note that the reader will probably not refer to your appendix when you say refer to appendix lol.

Yeah but I lost marks last time not referring to examples
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #977 on: October 21, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »
For ICC Assignment 2, in the "intro/lit review", what do they mean by "mention some earlier studies" - do we just like talk about previous or earlier views on Narrative Inquiry GENERALLY (like what it is, how it helps us to gauge language, identity and culture) or do we have to talk about like a specific study where x person was interviewed bla bla - and if it is the latter, then do we have to link that study's findings with our own study? :-\
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #978 on: October 22, 2012, 06:25:26 pm »
Does anyone have any past exam papers + solutions for ESD2?
Science, Melbourne University.

catwoman101

« Reply #979 on: October 22, 2012, 06:45:01 pm »
hi guys i tried to find this on the website but does UoM have Occupational therapy??

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #980 on: October 24, 2012, 11:32:35 am »
Has anyone considered doing a unit over summer?
I've looked at a few breadth units that they offer during Jan/Feb and they go for like 1-2 weeks but its pretty much 2-3 hours of lectures everyday with a tutorial everyday. Also some are all assignment based assessments something like: 'One 1200 word observation report 30%, two short written assignments (totalling 30%), all to be submitted during the teaching period and one 1600 word essay 40% (due 3 weeks after the conclusion of the teaching period)' With a unit like this do you essentially go to the lectures and tutorial for the day and then have like a night or a two to complete the assignments before handing them in? It seems very very very intense, nonetheless doable!

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #981 on: October 24, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
+3
Who's like me and has had assignments and is planning on cramming in swotvac?
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

claireb

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #982 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:42 pm »
I've looked at a few breadth units that they offer during Jan/Feb and they go for like 1-2 weeks but its pretty much 2-3 hours of lectures everyday with a tutorial everyday. Also some are all assignment based assessments something like: 'One 1200 word observation report 30%, two short written assignments (totalling 30%), all to be submitted during the teaching period and one 1600 word essay 40% (due 3 weeks after the conclusion of the teaching period)' With a unit like this do you essentially go to the lectures and tutorial for the day and then have like a night or a two to complete the assignments before handing them in? It seems very very very intense, nonetheless doable!
I'm considering this also. Can anyone who's done one of these subjects comment on what it's like? Is it really hard to keep up seeing there are only two weeks? I'm thinking of Astronomy in World History specifically.

Turtle

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #983 on: October 24, 2012, 06:57:12 pm »
Can anyone help me with these chem questions. I would appreciate it a lot!!

http://app.lms.unimelb.edu.au/bbcswebdav/pid-3381350-dt-content-rid-2744348_2/courses/610102/Previous%20exams/CHEM10004_2010.pdf

Questions 4 and 5

Can you tell me how you got the answers if thats okay :)

Thanks!!
VCE 2011: English, Chemistry, PE, Methods, Health & HD, Further

2012-2014: BSc (Melbourne Uni)

2016-2019: Medicine (Melbourne Uni)

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #984 on: October 24, 2012, 07:06:16 pm »
I'm considering this also. Can anyone who's done one of these subjects comment on what it's like? Is it really hard to keep up seeing there are only two weeks? I'm thinking of Astronomy in World History specifically.
Same here!! :D Although I might do business finance instead, not sure. Maybe both?..

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #985 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:58 pm »
+1

Yes.  I've done Finance 1 and Business Finance over 2 consecutive summer semesters.  For me, I was basically at uni for 3 days a week.  There were like 3 hours of lectures per day (2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon) I learnt the material at 3 times the pace.  The tutorials went for 3 hours, instead of the standard 1 during the semester.

It is intensely taught and I think if you want to do well, you will have to dedicate yourself just like any other semester.  And it will be harder simply because of the distractions, friends at the beach, friends going to the tennis, etc.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #986 on: October 24, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »
Yeah it sucks to be missing out on summer! :( But if it helps with my studies overall then I'm happy to sacrifice it. Has anyone ever done 2 units over summer? What I'm looking at involves a unit during January and one during February, with the unit in February running for 2 weeks and mainly assignment based. And there is a week overlap between them... Looks like it will be a pretty tough and intense gig!

Euuugghhhh.... I should really begin exam preparation now that all my assessments are finished!..

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #987 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42:49 pm »
I'm fairly sure for assignment related subjects they typically have some/the largest assignments due after you finish the intensive.  For instance, when my friend took the third year wine subject over last summer her 2500 word essay was due in the second or third week of semester 1, not during the camp/subject.  But you'd have to email the coordinator to check!

I'm currently pissed off at the study plan. I can only enrol in two subjects (not including quotas) and it's not like I can go down to the student center to try and fix the situation.  Ridiculous.  Why can't the Melbourne enrolment system be as easy as Penn's!
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #988 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »
Does anyone know if Principles of Immunology and/or Neurophysiology are recorded, by the way?
Soz for the double post.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #989 on: October 25, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »
+1
Does anyone know if Principles of Immunology and/or Neurophysiology are recorded, by the way?
Soz for the double post.
Yep both of them are recorded! :) (well they have been every other year)
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni