Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:09:39 am

Author Topic: topics to cover from chem 1/2 for 3/4 (not having done 1/2)  (Read 1652 times)  Share 

happyy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
topics to cover from chem 1/2 for 3/4 (not having done 1/2)
« on: January 28, 2022, 07:48:20 pm »
Hey, i'm picking up 3/4 chemistry so i was wondering whether there were any specific/important topics/ areas I would need to cover for 3/4. I would also appreciate any advice for doing well in chemistry!.
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:23:45 pm by happyy »

Billuminati

• Science Games: Gold
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +127
Re: topics to cover from chem 1/2 for 3/4
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:00:25 pm »
+5
Hey, i'm picking up 3/4 chemistry so i was wondering whether there were any specific/important topics/ areas I would need to cover for 3/4. I would also appreciate any advice for doing well in chemistry!.
Thanks

3/4 chem was quite different from 1/2 chem. I'll list what you need to know. Anything from 1/2 chem not on this list is non-examinable:

U3
Fuels + thermochem, gas stoichiometry, galvanic cells, fuel cells,  electrolytic cells, rate of reaction, chemical equilibrium (Le Chat's rule)

U4
Organic reactions, structural elucidation via spectroscopy (IR, NMR, MS), chromatography, organic titrations, food chem and calorimetry (basically more thermochem but applied to a biochem context)

As for tips, I scored a 40 raw on the dot in 2018 (minoring in chem at uni now for that matter) and I would recommend the following:
*Spam practice exams (especially VCAA), dynamicscience is a good resource
*Practice structural elucidation
*Focus on the explanation questions since they're marked really pedantically like VCE bio
*Be really good with electrolysis and experimental design cuz there is always a massive question on one or both of them on the exam
*Know your organic nomenclature and functional groups
*Understand Le Chat's rule, it's so useful everywhere you go eg determining charge of zwitterion charge when you get to biochem
*Know how to use to electrochemical series
*As an extension to the above, know how to use the data book cuz it's literally Doraemon's pocket
*If you did physics, you can use dimensional analysis (unit cancelling) to check answers and infer formulas that you've forgotten eg if you're asked to find the number of moles of e-s during electrolysis when given the time, current and Faraday's constant without the formula, you would approach it the following way: since current is in A which is in Coulomb per seconds and time is in seconds, multiply these (cancelling the secs) to acquire a quantity in C, which is a unit of charge. Since you're asked for something in mol, and the Faraday's constant is given in C/mol, you divide the charge you've found in your first step by Faraday's constant to cancel out the Cs and move the mol to the numerator side of the fraction, yielding the correct answer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:03:13 pm by Billuminati »
VCE 2016-2018

2017: Biology [38], Further Maths [44]

2018: Methods [37], French [38], Chem [40], English [44]

UMAT: 56/43/80, 57th percentile (LLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL)

ATAR: 98.1

2019-2021: Bachelor of Biomedical Science at Monash (Scholars), minoring in Chemistry

GAMSAT September 2021: 65/67/86, 76 overall (98th percentile)

2022: Chilling

2023+: Transfer to teaching degree

Golgi Apparatus

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: topics to cover from chem 1/2 for 3/4 (not having done 1/2)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 05:29:25 pm »
+3
Thanks

Looking through the study design for 1/2, this is what I'd say is most important for 3/4. You may already know some of this, depending on whether you did year 10 chem.

Atoms - structure, electron shells and valence electrons, ions (cations and anions), what isotopes are
Periodic table - know what each value in a square means, how it is arranged into rows and columns (based on structure), electronegativity, and groups such as halogens, noble gases, metals, non-metals
Metallic bonding
Ionic bonding
Moles, Avogadro's number, relationships between moles, number of atoms, mass, molar mass, volume and concentration (see data book), stoichiometry using these
Polar and non-polar molecules and bonds (due to electronegativity and shape)
Intermolecular bonds - dispersion forces, dipole dipole bonds and hydrogen bonds, how polarity determines bonds, how bond types relate to boiling/melting point
Covalent bonding
Families of hydrocarbon compounds - alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, carboxylic acids, non-branched esters, naming them
Lewis structure, condensed formula, structural formula, molecular formula, empirical formula
Specific heat capacity of water, why it is so high (involving hydrogen bonds)
How substances dissolve in water
Acids and bases - Bronsted-Lowry theory, pH scale, strong and weak acids and bases
Oxidising and reducing agents, conjugate redox pairs, redox reactions
Concentration in mol/L, g/L, %m/m, %v/v, %m/v
HPLC
Acid-base titrations
How to write a prac report, terms such as accuracy, precision, validity, reliability

Some of these things (mostly stoichiometry, intermolecular bonds, hydrocarbon families, molecular/structural/condensed formulas, specific heat capacity, redox, concentration, HPLC, titrations, and prac reports) are covered again in year 12, but your teacher may cover them quicker because they were done in year 11.
The rest are assumed knowedge - they won't be taught again but they help you understand the 3/4 content. You could probably get through 3/4 without knowing some of these, but if you're aiming for 40+ they're worth knowing. You shouldn't need a deep understanding of them - if you can borrow a 1/2 textbook from someone, just reading through those sections should be enough.

As for tips, I definitely second practice exams. The examiners often want very specific things and it can be hard to know what they want, so do lots of past exam questions and read the exam reports so you can start to understand what the examiners look for.
If you're having trouble with concepts, it helped for me to look at explanations from different sources until I found one that clicked. Try your teacher, other teachers if your school has multiple classes, textbooks, Kahn academy, youtube videos, edrolo if you have it, or ask on atar notes.
Also try to make sure you don't get behind too much and ask for help straight away if you don't get something. From experience, it is very difficult to understand what's going on in class if you missed or didn't understand something from the last lesson.
For maths based questions, check if your answer sounds reasonable - e.g. if you calculate that there is 1L of water in a test tube, you know you've probably done something wrong.
Make sure you read the question carefully and answer every part of it. If information is included in the question, they probably want you to use it somewhere. If you have time, read the question again after you've answered to make sure you've answered it properly. Be careful with small things, you can lose marks if you don't get them right - things like states, correct units, right number of significant figures.

Doing 3/4 without 1/2 will be a challenge, but it's a very interesting subject. Good luck! :)
VCE
2020: Biology
2021: Chemistry | English Language | Further | Methods | Psychology

2022: Bachelor of Biomedicine (UoM)