Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:19 pm

Author Topic: QCE subject selection!  (Read 4147 times)

kpike0

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
QCE subject selection!
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:54:37 pm »
+2
Hey guys! I'm completely new to this, so I have no clue if I've posted correctly or not! I'm currently in grade 10 and have started my subject selection for year 11, and I have a couple questions on whether or not the subjects I've chosen are going to set me up for success.

So my subject choices so far are economics, general mathematics, the general English (I've forgotten the actual name), modern history, legal studies and visual art. As you can probably tell, I hate science even though I'm okay at it and I've just made the decision to play it safe and go for general mathematics instead of methods. My question is, will I be able to get a high ATAR if I perform exceptionally in these subjects, even though they aren't weighted like the higher math's or science's?

I hope this makes makes sense!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: QCE subject selection!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 04:51:51 pm »
+4
Hi kpike0!
Welcome to the forums, it's good to have you here :)
You can most certainly get a high ATAR if you perform well in your subjects. No subjects will bar you from succeeding. If you are passionate about the content and think you will do well in those subjects, go for it! A girl in my school got a 96 and she studied gen math, gen english, SOR, PE, psych, and music. Most of these subjects scale down, yet she was still able to do really well.
So, you can most definitely get a high ATAR with any subjects you study - so long as you do well in them :)
Hope this makes sense :)
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 05:58:25 pm »
+3
Hey kpike0!

Just wanted to add - have a look to see if you need any subjects as prerequisites for any higher education e.g. uni courses that you’re interested in (for after you finish high school). In Victoria (and as far as I know, Queensland is similar), if you do not do the prerequisite subjects, you usually have to take a longer route to get into the course you want e.g. bridging course, do a different course and transfer. If there’s a chance to avoid that issue earlier by taking a particular subject, it’ll make your life a little easier if you take it.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

kpike0

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:10 pm »
+2
Thanks guys! Now I feel more confident in my choices. Also yes Angelwings, I'm really interested in either a business or commerce type of degree and I've checked many courses, and the only pre-requisites are general English and sometimes general math's! I've just been freaking out because their lowest ATARS for acceptance into those courses have been so high, and that got me stressing about my subjects.
Thank you!