Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:25 am

Author Topic: Are there limitations to the selection of breadth subjects?  (Read 3234 times)  Share 

schoolstudent115

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Suppose that I do a bachelor of science, what breadth subjects can I take (of course assuming I have the prerequisites)?
Can I do literally any subject from any other degree (e.g. Commerce)?
Because I was looking at the breadth options and it seemed to only be showing subjects i had not seen in other degrees, maybe I’m wrong though.
2021: ATAR: 99.95
2022-2024: University of Melbourne, BSci (Major in Mathematics and Statistics)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
Re: Are there limitations to the selection of breadth subjects?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
+1
Suppose that I do a bachelor of science, what breadth subjects can I take (of course assuming I have the prerequisites)?
Can I do literally any subject from any other degree (e.g. Commerce)?
Because I was looking at the breadth options and it seemed to only be showing subjects i had not seen in other degrees, maybe I’m wrong though.

Hi there,
From what I am aware of YES you can take any subject from any faculty as breadth in your science degree, in a way that a point of breadths to increase the 'breadth' of your knowledge.
For more detail below are the rules for the breadths in the science degree (it's similar to biomedicine so I can explain it for you"
Complete a minimum of 50 points (four subjects) and a maximum of 75 points (six subjects) of breadth study
You can complete a maximum of 37.5 points (three subjects) at Level 1
You must complete at least 12.5 points (1 subject) at Level 2 or Level 3.
What this means
- You must complete at least four breadths (i.e. 1 per semester, for 2 years- in third year you don't have to do breadth you can take another science subject if you desire)
-You can not take more than 3 level 1 (first year) breadth subjects and you must at least complete 1 level 2/3 breadths (this also means you can graduate without doing a level 3 breadth)
Hopefully, this helps but in sum you can do any subjects you want as long as you've done the prerequisite you can use the handbook to find subjects available https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/search?breadth_course_codes%5B%5D=B-SCI&types%5B%5D=subject&year=2021
All the best,
T&S

VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis