Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:56 am

Poll

Can you get an ATAR through Distance Education?

Yes, you can get an ATAR ranking when studying through a distance education school
No

Author Topic: Can you get an ATAR through Distance Education?  (Read 6710 times)

tigerlily3223

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Can you get an ATAR through Distance Education?
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:33:11 pm »
Thanks in advance. I am trying to conisder whether to move to distance education or continue through normal school.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Can you get an ATAR through Distance Education?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 03:09:54 pm »
+2
I'm not sure for QCE itself (aside from the QCAA/QTAC documents found online stating that to be eligible for an ATAR you must do at least 4 subjects + an applied subject (or 5 'normal' subjects), but I know people who've done distance ed and received an ATAR, if that helps! ^_^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:15:08 pm »
+2
Whilst there are definitely some hurdles and difficulties with distance education, as insanipi has said you still can receive an ATAR. Anecdotally I know some people who have done that for single subjects and also some for their whole ATAR and have done quite well.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:40:08 pm »
Yes you can still get an ATAR. One of my friend did a subject through distance education and still got a study score.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
+1
Thanks in advance. I am trying to conisder whether to move to distance education or continue through normal school.

Welcome to the forums!

As others have said, you absolutely can receive an ATAR through distance education. There's some information about Queensland distance education here. If you can (I'm not sure what grade you're in?), it's probably best to try distance ed before year 12 since some students find it works well for them and others not so much.

In distance education you still follow the same curriculums as face-to-face schools but often distance ed students need to be much more self motivated. If you do decide to follow distance education, try to make sure you're proactive about contacting your teacher for support and feedback when you feel that would help you - this is something important that I struggled with for my distance ed subject.

Best of luck and please feel free to follow up with any more questions you might have :)

tinglewood

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:26:41 am »
+1
Hi
Just thought I would add my two cents here. Yes you can receive an ATAR through distance education. I am currently in year 12 studying for my QCE from Perth via Brisbane School of Distance Education. I have found the experience to be better than mainstream schooling and the teachers are very helpful. My brother and sister have been through the same school but they did the OP System but both achieved excellent marks. My brother is in his first year of medicine at Curtin University while my sister is completing her final year of psychology at UWA. So studying via distance Ed will not penalise your chances in fact my siblings found that it prepared you more university which requires more independent study. Hope this helps