Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:05:55 pm

Author Topic: Customising your Moodle  (Read 4399 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Customising your Moodle
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:52:51 am »
+7
Hello friends,

Especially given we have some first years on here now and it's also semester, some may have noticed the nuisance of having to dig through last semester's course content to find materials for this sem. Not everyone faces this issue but some will have - I didn't really have this happen until second year.

This is more or less because the default options to showing your courses is just messed up in my opinion. It even shows last semester's material for the "In Progress section." There are better compromises out there that let you do things semester by semester. Essentially, I customised my moodle to having different widgets than the usual one appear.

0. Log into Moodle. Now when I do this I get something looking like this.

Now you could say I'm pretty lucky because 3/4 of my sem 2 courses are immediately available. But I still need to scroll down to access the fourth one... and you can see my sem 1 courses are still there. (Some people have it worse - their sem 1 courses are above their sem 2 courses.)

The left side of your Moodle may be different to mine, but that doesn't really matter. All that matters is your right side is somewhat like it.

1. Find the "Customise this page" button and click it. It will look something like this. It is located in the top right corner of the Moodle page.

2. Your Moodle page should now look like this. You will click into the little cog under the words "Course Overview" I have marked and choose "Delete Course overview block". After that, obviously follow the prompts and delete it.

3. Your Moodle should now look blank.

Scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find Add a block.

4. On the "Add a block" drop-down menu, choose Course Overview on Campus. Not the one that we just deleted. (Also not the one ticked either.

5. Scroll down to the bottom of Moodle again. You'll notice that an extra block has appeared around the bottom left corner.

6. This is the difficult step. You will click the ✥ symbol, which lets you click and drag the "Course Overview on Campus" widget elsewhere. You may choose to drag it up a few steps first, but your ultimate goal is to drag it over to the top right area, so that it looks like this. Essentially, you're replacing the old useless thing with this widget.

7. You will have noticed that you can choose which semester you would like to have displayed. Of course, choose the current semester.

8. (Optional) Now repeat steps 4-6, but with "Courses". This widget will give a list of all courses you have previously done. It is advisable for people in later years who may need to recall back on some first year or second year knowledge to help their studies.

And that's it

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Customising your Moodle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:11 am »
+1
Good stuff, Rui!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.