Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 05:46:16 pm

Author Topic: Interview with Christian and Muslim  (Read 2618 times)  Share 

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Interview with Christian and Muslim
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:35 am »
+1
Hi everyone, I recently got a really hard assessment task were I had to interview both a Muslim and a Christian. I live in a small town and so that was very hard to me to do, although I did manage to get some great responses. I just wanted to post them here incase anyone receives the same or a similar assessment  and could in any way use them, so here they are:

Interview #1 - ISLAM –  Interviewee's name removed for privacy reasons - Conducted on the 24th of April 2017

Interviewer -     “What is your full name and profession?”

Participant -    “My name is ******* and I’m an Imam in Mosques in the Bankstown area, a casual school teacher, and a part time product advisor at Microsoft.”

Interviewer -    Are there any misconceptions regarding peace and the Islamic faith that you would like to clarify?”

Participant -    “I believe that majority of the misconceptions regarding peace and Islam occur when people are far removed from the average practicing Muslim and their only exposure to Islam is what they see on the news or social media. Many people believe that Muslims support violence and terrorism, however, this is not the case. Ninety-three percent of Muslims do not support extremist views of Islamic terrorism and actually suffer more from terrorism and violence than non-Muslims. This ninety-three percent actually believe in and try to live in peace and harmony although they are often mislabeled by the actions of extremist Muslims. It is also a common belief that Muslims are engaged in jihad against Australia and other countries. Once again, this is a case of the entirety of the Muslim people being mislabeled by the actions of extremist Muslims. Another common belief is that the Islamic faith has nothing to do with peace, this however is incorrect. Most Muslims are moderate, devout, non-violent people who are trying to honor God and incorporate his peaceful teachings within their lives, as Islam as a faith of peace with most Muslims preferring to let others live as they wish no matter what their opinions or values may be.  Islam has been portrayed as an umma seeking global dominance through the media sensationalizing the actions of a small percentage of violent extremists. Rather than teach my fellow Muslims how to respond to misconceptions and try to refute them, I prefer to teach them that the best way to defeat these misconceptions is through our behavior. When others see that we enjoy a good day at the park or beach and a good dining experience, and are also concerned about the challenges of parenting and higher costs of living, they see that we are just as human as they are. We have similar joys, and share the same concerns. When they experience the amazing values we learn to have as Muslims, no matter what they hear from others, they won’t believe it because they have lived with us; they know the reality. Actions speak louder than words, as they say.”

Interviewer -    “What exactly does ‘peace’ mean within the Islamic faith?”

Participant -    “The Arabic word for peace is Salaam, which is one of the derived meanings of the word Islam. Islam is about submitting to our Creator, and the word shares the same root form as the word salaam, or peace. The concept of peace in Islam is twofold. The first being a peace with God (Allah), and the second being a peace with one’s self. This peace is referred to as inner peace and is a fundamental value of the faith which goes hand in hand with submission to Allah. A significant passage from the Quran that explains this is “O ye who believe! Come, all of you, into complete peace and follow not the footsteps of the devil.” (2:208)” This passage encourages people to both believe, and to do good within their lives, which is what ‘follow not the footsteps of the devil’ means. Peace is so promoted in Islam that the Muslim greeting is a greeting of peace. We learn this greeting from a very young age. Assalaamu alaikum means: “May the peace of God be upon you”. Instead of greeting someone with hi or hello, Muslims have this greeting of peace. We learn to say it upon entering our homes, upon meeting friends or family, when we answer the phone, when we pass someone by, and even to strangers. The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) was once asked by one of his companions: “what is something great I can do in Islam.” He responded: “To feed people, and to give the greeting of peace upon those you know and those you don’t know.” For us, peace is to ensure the safety of others is not threatened, and to help people in their quest for both outer and inner peace. Our Islamic greeting is more than just a greeting. It is a supplication. We are requesting that God grant this person peace. We would wish for goodness for others, just as we wish it for ourselves. We are also taught by our prophet peace and blessings upon him: You will not have truly believed, until you love for your brother (or sister) what you love for yourselves.”

Interviewer -     “How is this idea of peace performed and upheld within the faith?” –

Participant -    “One of the greatest ways one can do this - in my opinion, is by building in people a connection with God. The closer we are to God the less affected we are by our base desires and inclinations toward violence and hostility. The more attached we are to God, the less attached we give in to feelings of envy, hatred, anger, etc. One example is the five daily prayers, spread throughout the day. These are designed to bring us back to God, regardless of what is going on in our day. When we take time out and devote it to God, it becomes easier for us to put things in perspective and it minimises the impact of any pain felt throughout the day. A well-known wisdom we have in Islam is: “the person who makes their concern one concern (meaning to please God), God will suffice them of any other concern or worry.”

Interviewer -    “Could you please give some examples of what exactly people do in order to uphold this peace?”

Participant -    “In order to achieve peace with God, Muslims devote them selves to Allah through a number of devotional practices including prayer, fasting, performing hajj and practicing aspects of the five pillars. The obligatory prayers are the common form of prayers used by Muslims achieve peace within themselves. These prayers help adherents to identify and isolate their inner struggles, allowing them to work on these things and eventually achieve peace with themselves. To pray in congregation is is also highly emphasised and encouraged within Islam. An important part of praying in congregation is that we pray with our fellow Muslims, regardless of social or economic status, side by side, with shoulders touching. This promotes a close connection between Muslims, and brings one the inner-peace of maintaining complete obedience to the word of Allah. For Muslims, knowing that you have a community that is there for you and happy to support you helps alleviate burdens that can often be obstacles to achieving inner peace.”

Interviewer -     “How is ‘peace’ shown or represented in the Quran and Hadith?” - Please give examples and what exactly these examples mean/represent.

Participant -    “Having good character is an essential part of being a Muslim. We find many verses in the Quran and sayings in the Hadith that promote a range of great values including:[/b][/b][/b]

-    Mercy: Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) has taught us: “The Merciful are shown mercy by the All-Merciful Allah. Show mercy towards those on the Earth, and the one in the Heavens will show mercy upon you.”
-    A general love for others: We learn to have a general love for others that is free of any personal gain or benefit. We carry this love and care because the other is also a creature of Allah. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) taught us that we must gain three qualities to realize the true beauty of faith. One of them is to love a person solely for Allah (for no worldly reason).
-   Peace: The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) taught us: “You will not enter paradise until you believe and you will never be true believers until you love one another, do you want to know how to create an atmosphere of love in the umma? Promote peace amongst all.”

Interviewer -     “What does the Islamic faith teach adherents about peace?”

Participant -    “The answer to this question is from my Father Keysar Trad:

The Noble Qur`an states that “Believers! Embrace Silm[1] in its entirety,” (The Noble Qur`an Sura 2 Aya 208) meaning that Muslims are taught to embrace peace in it’s many forms. The Noble Qur`an also states - “Allah invites to the abode of peace,” (The Noble Qur`an Sura 10 Aya 25) meaning that people are encouraged to become adherents of Islam and to follow Allah through the promise of peace for those who do.

-    Islam promotes peace even during times of war - The Noble Qur`an clearly states that when those who are fighting against you give any indication of a desire for peace, then the Muslims must also work for peace.  This is stated at (Aya 61 of Sura 8): “If they incline towards peace, you must also incline towards it and place your reliance on Allah.”

-   Islam is a religion that condemns transgression - “… Allah loves not those who transgress." (The Noble Qur`an Sura 2 Aya 190 and Sura 5 Aya 87).

-    Islam promotes forgiveness, tolerance and understanding - “Forgive them and overlook (their bad deeds towards you), Allah loves those who are kind.”  (The Noble Qur`an Sura 5 Aya 13). - “Hasten to forgiveness from your Lord and a Garden the breadth of which is the Heavens and the Earth, prepared for those who are God-conscious.” - “Those who spend in ease and hardship, those who suppress their anger and those who forgive people, Allah loves those who are kind.”  (The Noble Qur`an Sura 3 Ayat 133 - 134).

Interviewer -     “What have you learnt about peace through being a Muslim?” – Possibly a story/testimony about your personal experiences of peace as a Muslim?”

Participant -    “There is a relationship between having inner peace and promoting peace around you. You will find that those who have inner peace give those around them a sense of peace. Others will be drawn to them. This is why I like to help people find inner peace. It is not an easy task, but it is very rewarding. I like to show people the beauty in life when you can let go of negative feelings and worldly attachments. This doesn’t mean to forsake worldly things. Rather, the practicing Muslim seeks worldly pleasures in a good clean way, and always remembers his or her Creator. The practicing Muslim partakes in the worldly joys of life, but his or her heart is not attached to them”

Interviewer -     “What is the relationship between peace and justice in Islam?”

Participant -    “My Father, *******, has provided the answer for this question:
Islam asserts that Justice is a key requirement for all human societies. One of the descriptions of God’s attributes is: “Establishing Justice” (refer: 3:18). He also tells us to be truthful witnesses even if it be against ourselves or near kin (refer:  4:135 and 5:8). Justice is a key element of a peaceful society because people who feel that they are receiving justice are less likely to transgress, commit crimes or breach the peace. One example of this is the rise of terrorism today – terrorists or terrorist recruiters use the perception of injustice as a recruiting tool or as justification – so justice becomes a key element for maintaining the peace and a key motivator to ensure that individuals do not take the law into their own hands.

Interviewer -     “Have you, yourself experienced inner peace whilst being a Muslim?” – How?

Participant -    “I believe the closer I am to God, the closer I feel to achieving inner peace. I have spoken about inner peace in sermons before, teaching that or belief in and submission to God will bring us inner peace because in connecting with Allah we loosen the shackles of envy, greed, intolerance, hatred and so forth. These aforementioned traits are contrary to inner peace. Sometimes during prayer, when I feel a really close connection to Allah, I find that I experience a true sense of inner peace. I feel a true sense of joy whilst I pray and really feel the words I am uttering. I feel my chest expanding and I think about living in that moment with Allah. I get similar feelings when I remove myself from human constructions and surround myself with nature. In doing so I attune myself with Allah’s natural creation. It helps me to find peace and strengthens my connection to Allah. Similar feelings arise when I delve deeper into Islamic teachings and make new realisations about my Creator, great people in our history, or the world around me.”

Interviewer -     “How does the Islamic faith contribute to world peace?” – Examples of how Christians/Christian groups have contributed.

Participant -    “This is a complex question. Here are a few examples:
-    Zakat (charity – has the meaning of purification and elevation of the soul and purification of wealth) is compulsory upon all Muslims who meet the criteria for the charity, and Sadaqah (also charity) is also highly encouraged in Islam. This builds in us a great sense of community that starts in our neighborhoods and spans throughout the countries of the world. There are a large range of people and organisations who work in the field of charity. ‘Islamic Relief’ is a charity organisation working across the globe and is often ranked second in the world after the Red Cross as a charity.
-    The teachings of Islam promote tolerance and acceptance of others. There is no compulsion in religion. None are forced to change their religion. Some might take recent examples of extremist Muslims to attempt to contradict what I am saying. I would respond by saying that to us the prophets are the ones who practiced their religion best. The prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings upon him) gifted non-Muslims with rights within Muslim society, and commanded that they be treated fairly and justly. The constitution he laid out upon arriving at Medina is something we hold in very high regard today.
-     Strict regulations to fighting. In Islam fighting is not sought or generally encouraged. In the event that Muslims were fighting, we have regulations such as that innocents including women, children and the elderly are not to be harmed, and trees are not to be unnecessarily uprooted as examples. We also have four months out of our year where fighting is absolutely forbidden unless we are defending ourselves from an attacker. These months are considered especially sacred and so fighting is forbidden during them.
-     A close relationship to Allah is a good relationship with Allah’s creatures. The practicing Muslim understands that all of creation belongs to Allah, and as such affords them all a courtesy and treats them well. As I get closer to Allah by performing my prayers, I also get closer to Allah by looking after a wounded animal, and helping an elderly person with their shopping, and giving advice to someone who needs it, and being courteous to those around me. If I mistreat any of Allah’s creatures, I will be held accountable for it in the hereafter.
Interviewer -     “Have you as a Muslim specifically contributed to world peace?” – How?​
As Muslims, we learn to be boastful about the good that we do. We strive to do as much good as we possibly can to outweigh the bad that we have done within our lives, but as a person, this runs deeper for me as I take great satisfaction in knowing that I am helping others throughout the world. My focus in my sermons and talks over the past 5 years (since graduating my Islamic Studies course) has been on helping build great Islamic character traits. I strongly believe that bringing Muslims closer to their religion will promote world peace. The acts of violence you hear about on the news which are conducted in the name of Islam have nothing to do with Islam. My work involves helping people to understand how to implement the proper teachings of Islam in their daily lives. I am also very involved in youth work. I have spent more than a year and a half in the Newtown and Hornsby area as an Imam, and was a youth mentor at a community center there for almost a year. I have been with the community center in Yagoona for maybe 3 years now. I work to instill great Islamic values in the Muslim youth who attend the center. You might wonder where the relationship to world peace is. Any work that helps to tone down feelings of anger and hatred, and instill a sense of belonging to a community contributes to world peace, no matter how small. My ongoing mission in life is to always strive to improve my condition and help others to do the same.

Interviewer -     “Having contributed in this way, how has this helped you to achieve a sense of inner peace within yourself?”

Participant -    “One of the ways is that I always try to take my own advice first. I don’t look at myself as some perfect creature. Rather I see myself as one of the people and we are growing together. If I cannot implement my own advice, knowing what I know about Islam, how can I expect that others will take it? So we grow together and we build great character traits within ourselves. Another big part of this is becoming less attached to material things, and to negative emotions such as pride, envy, greed, hatred, and becoming more attached to the divine. One of my greatest joys in life is helping others grow and find success in this life, as well as earn a great reward for the eternal life in the hereafter. This contributes to my feeling of inner peace.”

A little side-note: Inner peace is not often a constant state. We don’t live in a bubble. There are things around us that affect us and test our resolve. It will always be a goal though because when you attain it - even if only for a few moments, you realize its value. Of even greater value is a close connection to our Creator, the value of which is immense indeed.

Kind regards

Interview #2: Christianity – Interviewee's name removed for privacy reasons – Conducted on the 19th of April 2017

TRANSCRIPT:

Interviewer –    “What exactly does ‘peace’ mean in the Christian faith?”

Rev. ***** -    “Peace,’ according to the Christian understanding, relates directly to the absence of conflict between individuals and within this world. Christians believe that Jesus was sent by God as a means of a new reign of peace between God and all of humanity. Within the Christian faith, peace can have 2 main meanings: firstly, a knowledge or understanding that God is in control – this being an inner peace. And secondly, peace within the world, or world peace - all humans living at peace with one another under the supreme authority of Christ. When these forms of peace begin to work ceremoniously hand-in-hand, we have the ideal version of what peace is considered to be. 

Interviewer -    “How is this idea of peace performed and upheld by adherents of the faith?”

Rev. ***** -    “Christians strive to have an inner peace no matter what is happening around them or for them, and this is done in a number of ways. The main idea is thinking about peace for everyone, rather than just your own inner peace.

Interviewer – “Could you give some examples of what exactly Christians may do in order to maintain peace?”

Rev.  ***** – “In order to achieve and maintain peace for everyone, Christians will pray to their God asking him to present himself and continue representing himself within the lives of the people who need him, and especially those who need him most. This then relates to the idea of world peace because as Christians, we strive to do everything in our power to ensure that people all around the world are living harmoniously. Christians will also continue to read the bible and make sense of it’s teachings, incorporating these into their every-day lives and actions. The Bible says "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful" - Colossians 3:15. During times of struggle, Christians give thanks to God for the many miracles he has performed within this world, asking him for the strength to radiate peace similar to the ways in which he does. Through doing this, adherents remind themselves of the peace that only God can bring.  A peace that "surpasses all understanding"- Philippians 4:7. In order to ensure that world peace is maintained throughout the world, Gods word is spread by Christian groups and organisations.

Interviewer – “Is this referred to as ‘discipleship’?”

Rev.  ***** – “Yes, specifically speaking, a disciple is a follower who accepts and assists in the spreading of god’s world.”

Interviewer – “What role do disciples play in the Christian peace process, and is it one of importance?”

Rev.  ***** – “Part of the whole inner peace thing is the acceptance that all people are important in the eyes of God. All followers of the faith can be considered disciples, although it is those who assist in the spreading of God’s message of peace who are most vital to the peace process.

Interviewer -    “How is ‘peace’ shown or represented in the New testament?” - Please give examples and explain what exactly these examples mean/represent.

Rev  ***** -    “Peace is mentioned a number of times within the New Testament, the most common occurrence being instructions given by Jesus so that followers can radiate peace within their lives.”

Interviewer -    “Could you please give give some examples and explain what exactly is said, and what this means?”

Rev  ***** -    In the 2 Bible verses I mentioned previously – Colossians 3:15, readers are instructed to “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” This verse encourages followers to accept and believe in the presence of God within their lives, showing them that inner peace can be achieved through faith in God. Philippians 4:7 states that looking to Christ will bring a peace that “surpasses all understanding,” a verse that is often turned to by Christians in times of struggle in order to remind themselves of the peace that only god can bring.  Also, in Matthew 10 Jesus speaks about bring peace to the earth. That was his ultimate goal. To bring peace and forgiveness to humanity who rebelled against him.  Often, after Jesus heals someone (particularly in Luke's gospel) he sent them in peace.  He says things like "go in peace", "Peace to this house", "Peace in heaven", and “peace be with you.”

Interviewer -    “What does the Christian faith teach adherents about peace?”

Rev  ***** -    “The Christian faith  teaches about the peace that only Jesus can bring. Through reading passages from the bible, adherents are taught that Jesus is the only one who can forgive sins and bring true peace to this earth and within the lives of those who have faith in him. Without it, the world would stand absolutely no chance of living in perfect peace.

Interviewer -    “What have you personally learnt about peace through being a Christian?” – Possibly a story/testimony about your personal experiences of peace as a Christian?

Rev  ***** -    “During the times in my life where where I have found myself having to make big decisions - like going to Bible College and moving back to Tamworth, I would find myself stressing out over whether or not I was making the right decision, however, I continued to put my faith in God and trusted that he had a plan for me – this helped me to feel an inner peace with who I was, and who I would become through the choices I was making. Also, as a single woman (although I still struggle at times) I have peace knowing that God already has my life planned. Whatever he wants to happen will happen and so I can trust in him – knowing that God is in control of my life brings me peace.

Interviewer -    “How does the Christian faith guide its followers to experience/achieve inner peace?”

Rev ***** -    “Adherents are encouraged to read the Bible and to learn about the Peace that Jesus brings to the lives of many. Through the bible, readers are guided to ask God for forgiveness of their sins, as stated specifically in Luke 7:50 & Luke 8:48, through asking for forgiveness, adherents can experience an inner-peace with themselves through God. Inner peace is also promised to Christians who live their lives faithfully in service to God according to the requirements of the gospel, and for those who do, God will help them to experience peace within their lives, kind of like a gift, or a “fruit of the spirit,” as it is referred to in Galatians 5:22. Those who are true Christians attempt to achieve peace not only within them selves, but right throughout the world in whatever way they can. The bible is the main source of guidance in order for a Christian to be able to do this, as it includes requirements of prayer - in which Christians pray for this world’s peace, reflection – in which they can reflect upon their actions and determine what it is that they should be doing to achieve this peace, along with encouraging readers to lead a communal life in dedication to the welfare and harmony of others and the wider community.

Interviewer -    “Have you, yourself experienced inner peace whilst being a Christian?” – How?

Rev  ***** -    “Yes, on many separate occasions, some of them I’ve already mentioned, but I’m sure I can elaborate. I’ve experienced a large degree of inner peace through knowing that God is in control of my life and that he has grand master plan for me. Throughout recent years, I’ve found myself having to make some big decisions – like going to bible college and moving back to Tamworth as I mentioned previously. I would constantly worry that maybe I hadn’t made the right decisions and that in turn, this would effect me in the future, however, through praying to my God and looking to him for guidance, I’ve experienced the inner piece of knowing that God is in control of my life, and that every choice I make is a part of his big plan for me. Besides this, there have been occasions where I have felt a certain degree of loneliness in terms of a relationship due to being a single woman. I have often struggled with this at times, although I have a peace knowing that this is all part of a plan. I am at peace with the fact that I can now use the free time that I have to work with my church and with the girls at the school where I teach – and this is time that I may not have been able to spare if I had a partner.”

Interviewer -    “How does the Christian faith contribute to world peace?” – Examples of how Christians/Christian groups have contributed. Etc.

Rev  ***** -    “There are many extraordinary organisations out there, a large majority of them non-profit, who help to bring world peace. A number of these organisations are Christian organisations such as Compassion, World Vision, TearFund, Salvation Army and Food for the Poor.”

Interviewer -    “Could you please give some examples of how these groups are contributing to world peace?”

Rev  ***** -    “Each of these organisations strive to bring peace to our world through the elimination of poverty and suffering. Also, Christians themselves (although we don’t always get it right) try and be at peace with one another. We are generally forgiving people, and strive to live at peace with our family and friends and those whom we come in contact with. Besides this, many Christians strive to deter people from believing that war is a necessary tactic needed to achieve peace. As Christians we believe that war is not necessary, and that peace can be achieved via other means.”

Interviewer -    “Have you as a Christian specifically contributed to world peace and how have you done this?

Rev  ***** -   “Big question! I guess I look at my life and can be tempted to think "not really, nothing big".  But I often pray that through the life I live, and the examples that I set for others, I might myself become an example of what peace looks like. That doesn't mean that I believe my life is one that is perfect and that I "have it all together', but I try to be an example of what Christ’s love and peace looks like in all situations, good and bad. I also hope that through having 2 sponsor children, my financial and spiritual contribution and support might bring some peace to their lives and their villages. I think world peace can only be achieved through accepting Jesus as our savior, and so spreading the news about that is a good thing to do in order to spread the message to the rest of the world!”

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:57:19 pm by elysepopplewell »
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Interview with Christian and Muslim
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:21:46 am »
Hey Chloe!

What a difficult task you had! Thank you for thinking of sharing with the online community.

I just want to suggest: do you have permission to share the names and details of your interviewees? If not, we can modify your response to edit out the names if this might be a problem. But if they signed a consent form to use their interview for educational purposes this should be fine, or if you know them well enough that you know this would be fine. I've really enjoyed reading this (you've got some amazzzing insight here) and I'm sure it will help lots of people - just want to be fair to you and your interviewees :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:28 am »
Hey Chloe!

What a difficult task you had! Thank you for thinking of sharing with the online community.

I just want to suggest: do you have permission to share the names and details of your interviewees? If not, we can modify your response to edit out the names if this might be a problem. But if they signed a consent form to use their interview for educational purposes this should be fine, or if you know them well enough that you know this would be fine. I've really enjoyed reading this (you've got some amazzzing insight here) and I'm sure it will help lots of people - just want to be fair to you and your interviewees :)

Oh wow! I didn't think of this. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please remove the names and replace them with 'interviewee' as such. thank you for picking up on that!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:58:03 pm »
Oh wow! I didn't think of this. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please remove the names and replace them with 'interviewee' as such. thank you for picking up on that!

All done - this is an incredible assignment effort! I hope you've gotten the marks you'd hoped for. I  think this will be really helpful for students to read. Thanks for sharing :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!