Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:23:20 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 277654 times)  Share 

Microsoft Word

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #555 on: August 07, 2017, 10:21:12 am »
Just sat the exam. Didn't do too well, unfortunately. I want to clarify one of my answers to a m/c question. Am i allowed to pm someone here about the question and answer?

Thank you

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #556 on: August 07, 2017, 10:29:22 am »
Just sat the exam. Didn't do too well, unfortunately. I want to clarify one of my answers to a m/c question. Am i allowed to pm someone here about the question and answer?

Thank you

PM me :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #557 on: August 07, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
How do you structure a religion and peace essay?

Sorry to bump this, but I'm still unsure about the structure. Any suggestions?
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #558 on: August 07, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
+3
Sorry to bump this, but I'm still unsure about the structure. Any suggestions?

Hey Thebarman, sorry I didn't quote you in an earlier response. Have a look here and see my last response there. Basically - it's very flexible depending on the question. If you look at the 2016 question for example, we can look at a paragraph per teaching, or half an essay on inner peace, half an essay or world peace. If the question is solely on world peace, obviously you wouldn't split it into half inner and half world peace, but that doesn't mean you have to avoid inner peace all together, especially if you want to argue that inner peace contributes to world peace. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #559 on: August 29, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »
+1
Helloooo. So I finally got back my SOR trials and found I improved with my religious detail and structure (hooray) but I still don't know how to fix up an argument, so I'm stuck on 15/20. How do I build an argument for SOR? Or, what are your go to arguments for Judaism in particular?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
+4
Helloooo. So I finally got back my SOR trials and found I improved with my religious detail and structure (hooray) but I still don't know how to fix up an argument, so I'm stuck on 15/20. How do I build an argument for SOR? Or, what are your go to arguments for Judaism in particular?

Hey! Awesome job on those improvements, great stuff!! ;D

I can't help with Judaism specifically, but this guide might be helpful for you on structuring arguments for SOR! ;D

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #561 on: August 31, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »
Hello! So I've received my SOR 1 trial results... and I absolutely bombed out (36/50 - got 7/15 for Christianity short answer). I've been averaging ~85-87% in previous assessment tasks and now I'm not sure if a band 6 is achievable.
The reason why I got 7/15 was because I answered the short answers with bioethics when it was asking for core ethical teachings - however I thought this was very confusing because the question just said "ethical teachings", and also my writing was considered illegible. (This was for a 3 marker and a 4 marker which build off of this 3 marker.)
Would appreciate tips for the HSC and advice if Band 6 is still achievable. TIA

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #562 on: September 02, 2017, 11:47:00 am »
Hey! Awesome job on those improvements, great stuff!! ;D

I can't help with Judaism specifically, but this guide might be helpful for you on structuring arguments for SOR! ;D

I read through that and I get it in terms of structure now I think. But just not sure what to base my arguments around. Does it always work to just link everything to the religion being a living religious tradition?

ie. if the question is:

Discuss how ONE person or school of thought has contributed to Judaism.

Could you just say the person (let's say Isaiah) has contributed to Judaism being a living religious tradition through infiltrating modern Jewish practices through his contributions / teachings? Is it okay to take whatever argument as long as it's sustained throughout the response? Sort of like English? Sorry for all the questions! thanks!

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
I read through that and I get it in terms of structure now I think. But just not sure what to base my arguments around. Does it always work to just link everything to the religion being a living religious tradition?

ie. if the question is:

Discuss how ONE person or school of thought has contributed to Judaism.

Could you just say the person (let's say Isaiah) has contributed to Judaism being a living religious tradition through infiltrating modern Jewish practices through his contributions / teachings? Is it okay to take whatever argument as long as it's sustained throughout the response? Sort of like English? Sorry for all the questions! thanks!

Would not recommend linking everything to LRT because it'll just show you memorised your response. Just answer the question each time.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »
Hello! So I've received my SOR 1 trial results... and I absolutely bombed out (36/50 - got 7/15 for Christianity short answer). I've been averaging ~85-87% in previous assessment tasks and now I'm not sure if a band 6 is achievable.
The reason why I got 7/15 was because I answered the short answers with bioethics when it was asking for core ethical teachings - however I thought this was very confusing because the question just said "ethical teachings", and also my writing was considered illegible. (This was for a 3 marker and a 4 marker which build off of this 3 marker.)

That ethical teachings bit sounds very dodgy ??? Did you do the CSSA paper as mine was also on ethical teachings but I wrote about sexual ethics and it was fine. I would definitely clarify with the marker because sounds like you got ripped off!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2017, 12:03:21 am »
+1

omg the core ethical teachings / bioethics thing happened to me but in reverse back in term 2. i was very cut up about it but thankfully only lost 2 marks from it haha. i reckon go and have a chat to your teachers and tell them how confusing you found it! see if any other people in your grade had the same issue and go with them. works better to go as a group and ask them for a reconsideration :)

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2017, 12:23:10 am »
Would not recommend linking everything to LRT because it'll just show you memorised your response. Just answer the question each time.

I did answer the question for essay above (the straight forward way) but my teacher said there was no argument and that my argument should be something along the lines of isaiah's teachings allowing adherents to upkeep the covenant

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:57 am »
That ethical teachings bit sounds very dodgy ??? Did you do the CSSA paper as mine was also on ethical teachings but I wrote about sexual ethics and it was fine. I would definitely clarify with the marker because sounds like you got ripped off!

Core ethical teachings are different to bioethics!

Core ethical teachings relate to like ten commandments, beatitudes and Jesus' commandment of love whereas bioethical teachings are the sanctity of life, reverence for life etc.

To the poster make sure to read the question properly :)

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:41 am »
+1
Core ethical teachings are different to bioethics!

Core ethical teachings relate to like ten commandments, beatitudes and Jesus' commandment of love whereas bioethical teachings are the sanctity of life, reverence for life etc.

To the poster make sure to read the question properly :)

If a question asks for ethical teachings though you would assume it is about the ones you studied this year. I doubt they could ask a short answer on that year 11 work because that would just be weird aha i always thought it can just pop up in the essay. i guess i cant really say anything else until i know the exact wording of the question but if it only said ethical teachings not core ethical teachings then thats very confusing
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2017, 10:59:57 am »
Yes, CSSA paper. The feedback stated that you NEEDED to talk about core ethical teachings.