Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:06 am

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 128948 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2019, 09:50:54 am »
+1
Isn't writing task 1 supposed to be done creatively and task 2 formally/a strict persuasive essay?

I didn't go creative for 1 (I analysed the stimuli) or an essay for 2 (I wrote a speech) & I received high marks for the writing section so no.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2019, 11:09:13 am »
+2
I know this is a bit of a stretch but would you remember or know the cartoon used in the Unit 3 section (Multiple Choice) of the 2014 GAT: https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/exams/GAT/2014/2014GAT-cpr-w.pdf

It's copyrighted so there's literally no image provided...

Thanks Angel :)
Unfortunately, I don’t remember what the cartoon was. The only thing I remember from the GAT 2014 were the writing tasks, because I hadn’t written in those styles since Year 10, as I was doing English Language. My copy of the GAT 2014 has also been long gone and I have no idea where it’s vanished to. 

Moreover, since it’s copyrighted material, even if I knew where that copy was, I can’t share it because it’s against forum rules. (We hope to build a community without getting into trouble with the law, so hope you understand.) You can, however, ask a teacher (probably a VCE coordinator or English teacher) for a copy and hopefully they’ll be able to provide one for you. :)

Really sorry I can’t help there, but hope you find a (legal) version of it somewhere.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2019, 11:32:16 am »
Hi guys.
How are you doing?
I just completed the 2018 GAT paper including  the writing tasks.

Writing Task 1 required you to express your ideas about a range of pictures that they gave you relating to the benefits of music.They said that you should not present an argument.
I wrote a creative piece where a son wants to go to music camp and the father said no. Then the son starts firing the benefits of music and the father rebuts his points. However, he finally convinces the father to allow him to go to music camp. Does this count as presenting an argument? If so, does this mean my writing piece is not valid?

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for your help.

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2019, 12:35:16 pm »
IS writing task 1 meant to be a creative piece or are we allowed to write an informative one?
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2019, 01:24:32 pm »
+3
IS writing task 1 meant to be a creative piece or are we allowed to write an informative one?
According to the GAT:
Quote from: GAT paper 2018
Develop a piece of writing presenting the main information in the material. You should not present an argument.
Basically, anything goes, as long as you don't start arguing a point. Informative, expository and creative are all fine.

Hi guys.
How are you doing?
I just completed the 2018 GAT paper including  the writing tasks.

Writing Task 1 required you to express your ideas about a range of pictures that they gave you relating to the benefits of music.They said that you should not present an argument.
I wrote a creative piece where a son wants to go to music camp and the father said no. Then the son starts firing the benefits of music and the father rebuts his points. However, he finally convinces the father to allow him to go to music camp. Does this count as presenting an argument? If so, does this mean my writing piece is not valid?

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for your help.
I don't really know as it might have to depend on the piece itself. Please be careful for the real deal and I'd be wary about skimming this fine line.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

brothanathan

« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2019, 02:23:42 pm »
+1

I hope this makes sense.
Thank you for your help.

Yeah it counts, maybe write about his father who is a passionate musician introducing his son to the world of music.

edwardtremethick

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2019, 01:58:29 am »
I was looking through past GAT papers, and the writing sections are really confusing me? Is anyone else on the same page I am?  Writing task 1 seems more understandable than 2,  what do you even need to do? Are you arguing whether the statements are true or false?  And in task 1, do you just literally have to write down the important information, or is there more to it?

leonm19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2019, 11:52:50 am »
+1
I was looking through past GAT papers, and the writing sections are really confusing me? Is anyone else on the same page I am?  Writing task 1 seems more understandable than 2,  what do you even need to do? Are you arguing whether the statements are true or false?  And in task 1, do you just literally have to write down the important information, or is there more to it?

In task 1 you are literally presenting the information, but be careful not to copy down the information exactly. In my opinion, the easiest way to tackle task 1 is to present it in a creative form, so you can make up a little story or something and embed the information in there. For task 2, it's a persuasive piece, so you choose one or a few prompts and form your own opinion based on that prompt, you can argue whether the statements are true or false. My advice would be to make sure you use lots of persuasive devices/techniques and make your contentions really clear. Hope this helps and good luck for the GAT tomorrow!! :)

edwardtremethick

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2019, 02:54:40 pm »
but be careful not to copy down the information exactly

The papers say that you can write down the information however you want (so that can be informative) so how would you go about doing it informatively without actually copying it all down exactly, I don't think doing it creatively would suit me

leonm19

• Adventurer
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2019, 03:10:13 pm »
The papers say that you can write down the information however you want (so that can be informative) so how would you go about doing it informatively without actually copying it all down exactly, I don't think doing it creatively would suit me

Sorry I wasn't very clear, but I meant you can't just literally spew out all the information. You have to organise it in a way where it makes sense, so group things together by categories or whatever you think should be mentioned together. You should definitely write down the exact facts and statistics they give you though. I know some people prefer doing expository essays, so I assume you'd probably choose that format?

Nostalgia

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Has anyone used Checkpoints for the GAT? Is it worth getting, seeing as the GAT doesn't directly affect your results?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2019, 04:04:39 pm »
+3
Has anyone used Checkpoints for the GAT? Is it worth getting, seeing as the GAT doesn't directly affect your results?

Personally I think all you need is available publicly online. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

jemima.allpress

• Adventurer
  • nemo
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2019, 09:48:25 pm »
+1
Can someone please confirm what the GATch phrase is this year?
:-)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2019, 07:03:46 am »
+3
Good luck for the GAT today, team!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

edwardtremethick

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2019, 07:01:39 pm »
Hope everyone did well! I wrote a creative piece for Task 1, and was surprised how easy Task 2 was.  Who thought some of the questions were a bit over worded and confusing?