Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:38:18 am

Author Topic: DAMN vs to pimp a butterfly  (Read 2753 times)  Share 

Alevine

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
DAMN vs to pimp a butterfly
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
+2
Obviously Kendrick Lamar's DAMN just came out recently and even though its just now losing it's "brand-new album" status I am still listening to it pretty much every single time I commute.

Some wonder if it reaches the same heights as 'to pimp a butterfly' buuutttt um I feel like it totally does?
Either way lol I feel like Kendrick is an icon.

(#element #yah #love #humble are my faves)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:31:20 pm by brenden »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: DAMN vs to pimp a butterfly
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
I feel old. :'(

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:53 pm »
+2
I feel old. :'(

It's okay. My musical tastes are still stuck back in the 1800s.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »
@Alevine link us to the best song of the album?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:42:00 pm »
+1
Obviously Kendrick Lamar's DAMN just came out recently and even though its just now losing it's "brand-new album" status I am still listening to it pretty much every single time I commute.

Some wonder if it reaches the same heights as 'to pimp a butterfly' buuutttt um I feel like it totally does?
Either way lol I feel like Kendrick is an icon.

(#element #yah #love #humble are my faves)

Really? You reckon?

I'm not 100% sure. In fairness, I have YET to give DAMN a proper, start to finish listen. I've listened to songs haphazardly so definitely I'll reserve my judgement BUT, it seems like TPAB was a pretty involved and complex album, whereas DAMN seems to be more clean cut and straight forward.

I think that's a deliberate choice, but I also think that with that... TPAB dealt with like, hectic issues - race relations, spirituality, depression, in really intense and meaningful ways. Potentially one of the best rap albums of all time IMO... I dunno if DAMN can live up to that?

But I will definitely reserve judgment on that. I'll listen to it as I drive home tonight!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »
+3
Man I just saw the title of the thread, not even gonna read the comments.
But shit, to pimp a butterfly bro hands down
Future engineer

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
+2
i dont want to comment on whats better, but DAMN. is so much more accessible to new listeners than TPAB, mainly because of the beat selection, production, theme discussion, and overall feel and sounds. TPAB deals with much ,much more complex themes such as identity misidentification (alluded to in many songs, such as "I" [cant rmbr if thats actually on the album or not]). Furthermore, DAMN. broke many of kendrick's sales records, and gave him even greater exposure to new fans, so without a doubt,Kendrick catered to the horde of "new-comers" by giving a more "mainstream" but still 'Kendrick' vibe.
I'm contemplating writing a whole DAMN. (get it??@?!?!? ;) ) essay on rap culture, kendrick anything really LMAO, went from not even knowing what rap was months ago to listening to near every artist and heavily being influenced by rap and its culture : P

ugggghhhh
Uni and life

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 05:22:06 pm »
+2
i dont want to comment on whats better, but DAMN. is so much more accessible to new listeners than TPAB, mainly because of the beat selection, production, theme discussion, and overall feel and sounds. TPAB deals with much ,much more complex themes such as identity misidentification (alluded to in many songs, such as "I" [cant rmbr if thats actually on the album or not]). Furthermore, DAMN. broke many of kendrick's sales records, and gave him even greater exposure to new fans, so without a doubt,Kendrick catered to the horde of "new-comers" by giving a more "mainstream" but still 'Kendrick' vibe.
I'm contemplating writing a whole DAMN. (get it??@?!?!? ;) ) essay on rap culture, kendrick anything really LMAO, went from not even knowing what rap was months ago to listening to near every artist and heavily being influenced by rap and its culture : P

ugggghhhh
Suchhh a good point! Thanks for the post!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️