Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:46 pm

Author Topic: Honours in Geography?? (bachelor of science- melb uni)  (Read 3664 times)  Share 

lou0018

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Honours in Geography?? (bachelor of science- melb uni)
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:36:24 pm »
is it worth studying geography in university? ive heard many people say otherwise in terms of career wise? is the area saturated? What possible jobs/ positions could it lead to? If possible, i'd also like to know from someone who has studied geography, if it is heavily dominated by either females or males? Thank you :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Honours in Geography?? (bachelor of science- melb uni)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:18:37 pm »
Hey Lou!

I haven't studied Geography, but I guess it depends - do you know what you want to get into as a career? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lou0018

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:45 pm »
Hey Lou!

I haven't studied Geography, but I guess it depends - do you know what you want to get into as a career? :)

Nope! well something to do with earth science/ geo.  just trying to get an idea of whats out there.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:32:46 pm »
+2
is it worth studying geography in university? ive heard many people say otherwise in terms of career wise? is the area saturated? What possible jobs/ positions could it lead to? If possible, i'd also like to know from someone who has studied geography, if it is heavily dominated by either females or males? Thank you :)

Is it worth studying geography in university? ive heard many people say otherwise in terms of career wise?
It depends on what career you want, if you don't know start researching now!!! Your never to early to do it and it might improve your chances in finding a job :).
How to do it? The internet is your friend, your school career office could be useful as well, open days at universities are useful as well.
Ask questions as well, any question. This is what made me pick the degree I studied.

is the area saturated?
It depends which career option you go for in the geography field? i.e. Do you want to be a geographer? a surveyor? a cartographer? a spatial analyst? a drone operator? a BIM/3D operator?
In general, its male dominated but I wouldn't say its based on discrimination and more than people percieve it as a 'male' job which isn't true. I know many well-accomplished females in relevant career fields. So I wouldn't worry about being treated sub-par because you girl as a general, wide-spread view. (It has happened, but I can assure you that not everyone share those people's narrow view/mindset)

I've answered your other two questions in the above answers, but the key takeaway is to find out what you want. Do you want to more out in the field? Consider being a surveyor (they have good job prospects), Do you like research? Consider going the path of being a researcher or a lab tech, Do you like maps (like I did)? Consider the path of a cartographer or spatial analyst. Geography is a wide and diverse, but in order to succeed in my opinion you have to know what you want. That is a commonality I have discovered for those that really excel in their various roles in the Geography field.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

lou0018

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »

Is it worth studying geography in university? ive heard many people say otherwise in terms of career wise?
It depends on what career you want, if you don't know start researching now!!! Your never to early to do it and it might improve your chances in finding a job :).
How to do it? The internet is your friend, your school career office could be useful as well, open days at universities are useful as well.
Ask questions as well, any question. This is what made me pick the degree I studied.

is the area saturated?
It depends which career option you go for in the geography field? i.e. Do you want to be a geographer? a surveyor? a cartographer? a spatial analyst? a drone operator? a BIM/3D operator?
In general, its male dominated but I wouldn't say its based on discrimination and more than people percieve it as a 'male' job which isn't true. I know many well-accomplished females in relevant career fields. So I wouldn't worry about being treated sub-par because you girl as a general, wide-spread view. (It has happened, but I can assure you that not everyone share those people's narrow view/mindset)

I've answered your other two questions in the above answers, but the key takeaway is to find out what you want. Do you want to more out in the field? Consider being a surveyor (they have good job prospects), Do you like research? Consider going the path of being a researcher or a lab tech, Do you like maps (like I did)? Consider the path of a cartographer or spatial analyst. Geography is a wide and diverse, but in order to succeed in my opinion you have to know what you want. That is a commonality I have discovered for those that really excel in their various roles in the Geography field.

thank you :)