Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:22 pm

Author Topic: DETAILED: Elizabeth Blackburn School of Sciences Entrance [Yr 11&12] Guide 2020  (Read 74859 times)  Share 

Yians014

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
i'll be doing the exam as well :), i'm pretty sure they will send the information about the exam (like the time and where it will be held) next week because the closing date for the enrollments is on the 22nd.

I feel like i'm not studying ENOUGH. I've just been learning the math topics from the yr 10 curriculum and completing the ICAS science paper. I'm most nervous for the science reasoning and reading comp :/

How have you been studying for it?

(sorry if it doesn't make sense, im writing this before class starts :) )

Don’t worry! You made total sense :)

To be honest, I think you’re doing better than me (in terms of studying). I was pretty consistent with my maths practice a few months ago, but then semester 1 exams came and went, as well as holidays too, and I’ve kinda fallen of the study bandwagon! BUT!!! I am getting back into it (I know, like 7 days before the exam😱), and trying my hardest keep at it.

At the moment, I’m also using the ICAS practice exams/past exams for science and maths practice, and just going over the year 10 curriculum.
For the English components of the exam, I’m just trying to learn as much new vocabulary as I can, doing a little bit of grammar and reading comprehension exercises and... that’s about it! Oh and, I’m also in the process of writing a draft for the writing part of the ebs exam (why I want to get in, how will the school help me, etc), as I’ve heard that they’ll be testing us on this, (like they did for the kids last year), however it’s not 100% confirmed.

For anyone stressing out... despite that our exam is right around the corner and some of us may have not studied as much as we would’ve liked to, or at all 😅, I think we need to just sit back and take a deep breath. Whether we get into ebs or not, ultimately, our education/careers/futures haven’t come to a crumbling end :)
Personally, until the exam date, I am going study hard, everyday, try not fill myself with worrying thoughts, and, I’m also going to get enough sleep!

Good luck everyone 😊

Manish10

• Trailblazer
  • JMSS

To be honest, I think you’re doing better than me (in terms of studying). I was pretty consistent with my maths practice a few months ago, but then semester 1 exams came and went, as well as holidays too, and I’ve kinda fallen of the study bandwagon! BUT!!! I am getting back into it (I know, like 7 days before the exam😱), and trying my hardest keep at it.

At the moment, I’m also using the ICAS practice exams/past exams for science and maths practice, and just going over the year 10 curriculum.
For the English components of the exam, I’m just trying to learn as much new vocabulary as I can, doing a little bit of grammar and reading comprehension exercises and... that’s about it! Oh and, I’m also in the process of writing a draft for the writing part of the ebs exam (why I want to get in, how will the school help me, etc), as I’ve heard that they’ll be testing us on this, (like they did for the kids last year), however it’s not 100% confirmed.

For anyone stressing out... despite that our exam is right around the corner and some of us may have not studied as much as we would’ve liked to, or at all 😅, I think we need to just sit back and take a deep breath. Whether we get into ebs or not, ultimately, our education/careers/futures haven’t come to a crumbling end :)
Personally, until the exam date, I am going study hard, everyday, try not fill myself with worrying thoughts, and, I’m also going to get enough sleep!

Good luck everyone 😊

Hey can u please give me the link to ICAS old papers.
I can't access it, THANK YOU !!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
lol found out about the school yesterday, and signed up to sit the test.

ima just study for the next 7 days straight  8)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Manish10

• Trailblazer
  • JMSS
lol found out about the school yesterday, and signed up to sit the test.

ima just study for the next 7 days straight  8)

You are going to do great!!  :D

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
You are going to do great!!  :D

thnx best of luck to you aswell

bl283

• Trailblazer

Good luck everyone 😊

You're preparing really well  :D

Good luck too  ;D ;D

Yians014

• Trailblazer

Hey can u please give me the link to ICAS old papers.
I can't access it, THANK YOU !!

Hi!

Here are the links to the ICAS papers I studied:
https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-mathematics-sample-questions/
https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-english-sample-questions/
https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-science-sample-questions/

Unfortunately there are only about 5 sample questions per paper, per year level (I looked at Yr 9 - 12 papers). I wasn't surprised to find out that there were only 5 q's in each - it's simply because these "practice tests" are free (almost all others aren't).

Enjoy :)

Manish10

• Trailblazer
  • JMSS
Hi!

https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-mathematics-sample-questions/
https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-english-sample-questions/
https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/hub/educational-assessments/reach-and-icas-assessments-science-sample-questions/

Unfortunately there are only about 5 sample questions per paper, per year level (I looked at Yr 9 - 12 papers). I wasn't surprised to find out that there were only 5 q's in each - it's simply because these "practice tests" are free (almost all others aren't).

yeh it sucks how the actual ones r quite expensive:-\
But thank you

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
Hi!

hey is the actual test gonna be anything like this?

this is fairly easy stuff . . .

Yians014

• Trailblazer
hey is the actual test gonna be anything like this?

this is fairly easy stuff . . .

So if you scrolled all the way down on those websites, you would have seen a number of papers lettered from A to around J. The different letters correspond to a different year level, and hence, a different level of difficulty (for each sample test). Try and study letters G,H,I and J (years 9,10,11 and 12), as these are the hardest ones there. I assume that the EBSS exam will provide similarly structured questions as the ones in these sample papers, and the level of difficulty will be kind of like papers H, I and J (I think????).

Yians014

• Trailblazer
yeh it sucks how the actual ones r quite expensive:-\
But thank you

You’re very welcome!

khushi2105

• Fresh Poster
i'll be doing the exam as well :), i'm pretty sure they will send the information about the exam (like the time and where it will be held) next week because the closing date for the enrollments is on the 22nd.

I feel like i'm not studying ENOUGH. I've just been learning the math topics from the yr 10 curriculum and completing the ICAS science paper. I'm most nervous for the science reasoning and reading comp :/

How have you been studying for it?

(sorry if it doesn't make sense, im writing this before class starts :) )
Hey I was wondering if you have any ICAS exams? Cheers :)

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
does anyone know how many people sit the exam every year?
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
are you allowed to aplly for a spot in year 11 even if your in year 11 this year?

Manish10

• Trailblazer
  • JMSS
does anyone know how many people sit the exam every year?

Idk exactly but there may be 200-300 people sitting the test