Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:40 pm

Author Topic: neurology vs biology  (Read 658 times)  Share 

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
neurology vs biology
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:38:57 pm »
Hey guys
I’m indecisive and can’t choose between the two.
Im interested in the anatomy of the brain and psychological  aspects of neurology however I have no background in chemistry (which is a core)
On the other hand Biology offers a broader range of topics and I tests I can choose from such as zoology and immunology. Plus I’ve already done hsc bio and really enjoyed it!

I’m not sure what to choose! Help

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: neurology vs biology
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:55:20 pm »
+2
Hey,
Are you talking about majors in a science degree? If so you don't need to choose yet & depending on your specific degree you'll probably have enough electives that you can do some courses from each major in first year and then decide which you like more (or could do a major in one and minor in the other depending on your uni/degree/other courses you want to do).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »
Hey,
Are you talking about majors in a science degree? If so you don't need to choose yet & depending on your specific degree you'll probably have enough electives that you can do some courses from each major in first year and then decide which you like more (or could do a major in one and minor in the other depending on your uni/degree/other courses you want to do).

Hi there! Thank you for your reply!
I’m doing a bachelor of science and advanced studies
I’ve already chosen one major and I’m trying to choose between these two to fill the other major

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:33:21 pm »
+5
Hi there! Thank you for your reply!
I’m doing a bachelor of science and advanced studies
I’ve already chosen one major and I’m trying to choose between these two to fill the other major
Your course is a bit of a unique one. I've had a look at your study plan and it looks like you do have a couple of electives however the sample study plan suggests taking those electives in second sem of first and second year. You don't need to follow this suggested plan however you do need to ensure that you do your courses in an order that fulfills any prereqs for future courses. Do you know which subjects you're going to do in your first year? Your course study plan suggests doing one course from each major as well as math and science - do you know what courses those maths and science spots are referring to specifically or is it just any maths and science course?

Are you being asked to pick your major now? For most degrees you don't need to do this until at least second year however your degree isn't structured normally so it may be different. If you're not needing to nominate your major now (or if you can change it later), I'd recommend doing a unit from each of bio/neurology majors, a unit from your other major, and then the final unit as that math unit you're recommended. The unit from the major you don't choose will either count as that science unit you're recommended to do or it will count as an elective (if that science unit is a specific course).

Given your degree is a bit niche it would be a good idea to check with your course advisors (or whoever fills a similar role at your uni) as they'll know the answers to whether those science/math units are specific units or any units if you don't know and they'll be able to help you figure out a course plan that works.

tl;dr because this got very long. You're probably able to do a course from both bio and neurology in first sem and decide after that & talking to people/experiencing uni which major you want to do for the rest of your degree however given your course isn't just a standard degree it'd be a good idea to check with your course advisors that you can use the unit from the major you don't end up doing as an elective.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra