Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 02:47:26 pm

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131019 times)  Share 

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2020, 11:09:40 pm »
Hi!! I can definitely help you with writing your essay!

Hi! I would appreciate that so much!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2020, 04:17:31 pm »
+5
Sooo the trial exams are a term away, and our teacher hasn't gone through how to write an essay for extension - should I be worried, because I AM!!!
Hey there,

History Extension essays, I would describe it as, a mix between an English essay and a Modern History essay, in the sense that, your essays should be structured thematically but still contains the analysis of sources within your paragraphs.

We'll start with the introduction:
- First sentence is your overall judgement in regards to the question
- Your introduction needs to mention the source you're analysing (e.g. This idea is explored in Source A, which is...")
- Be sure to explain the points you will be explaining throughout your essay. Usually I dedicate one sentence per point and because I usually do 3 body paragraphs, that's 3 sentences
- You should also mention a few sources you will be analysing throughout your essay. What historians or works will you be using? This is something I'd probably include towards the end of the introduction

So here is an example of an introduction I wrote for the 2014 HSC exam:

With the notion of truth remaining ambiguous throughout the decades, the purpose of history is no longer to search for an exact truth. This is due to the varying philosophies in regards to truth, resulting in conflicting perspectives and different versions of the past. Source A, an excerpt from David Hackett Fischer’s ‘Historians; Fallacies: Towards a Logic of Historical Thought’, explores the notion of truth as Fischer deliberates over ‘the impossible object (being) a quest for the whole truth.’ This is due to how a historian’s context critically influences the way they present history, impacting their selection of evidence and interpretation of evidence, compromising their ability to relay the truth. As a result, post-structuralist ideologies has had a significant impact on the way historiographers perceive history. Even if a historian were to reach some level of truth, it is greatly dependent on the questions they sought to answer and the evidence that provides them ‘the kinds of answers which are sought.’ On one hand, historians attempt to reach the truth by rigorous, empirical research- ranging from a conservative approach to exploring ‘people’s history.’ On the other hand, the politicisation of history has revealed a new purpose as various versions of the past has been used to support a historian’s political agenda. Thus, the truth has become an ambiguous term where various versions of the truth has emerged, thus, reaching the truth is no longer the ultimate goal

The structure of your essay should be FRAMED BY YOUR SOURCE. A lot of teachers sometimes ask students to structure their essays chronologically (e.g. 1 paragraph on Herodotus, 1 paragraph on Thucydides, 1 paragraph on Ranke etc) but HSC markers do not like that. If you look at your marking rubric, it says that it should be structured logically and your source needs to be interwoven in your essay. As a result, using the source to frame your essay gives a clear indication to the markers that you're directly engaging with the source. Once you've annotated your source, use the points raised in the source to structure your essay. The way I'd structure a paragraph would be:

- First sentence is an assessment of the point that the source explored. Sometimes I'd even quote directly from the source as my first sentence and then include my opinion on this
- Use this quote as a jumping point to explore what point the other raises AND THEN proceed to include your opinion
- Back up your opinion by using different sources (i.e. the different historians you've explored). I usually use 2-3 examples but make sure to analyse it in-depth
- Just like I said with the structure, don't group all your historians (e.g. grouping Herodotus and Thucydides because they're from a similar time period). Show links between the historians you're analysing. For example, when I explored post-modernism, I analysed how Herodotus' methodology is similar to post-modernist ideology even though he's not considered post-modernist and linked it to Hayden White

So here is an example of a paragraph I wrote for the 2014 HSC exam:

The development of post-structuralism has had a significant impact on the way historiographers respond to historiographical issues such as the inescapable nature of the historian’s context, thus resulting in the rejection of history as merely fiction. This is reflected in Source A where Fischer states ‘the idea that a historian can operate without the aid of preconceived questions… prejudices, presumptions, or general presuppositions of any kind is a false belief.’ As a result, these preconceptions can either impact their selection and interpretation of evidence, thus limiting their ability to reach ultimate truth. Jewish-American historian Deborah Lipstadt reflects this notion as her methodology in researching Holocaust deniers has prompted the discussion of Jewish nationalism due to her refusal to interact with Holocaust deniers. As a result, her presentation of this topic remains limited and subjective due to her reliance on preconceived notions of the Holocaust as a result of the heavy influence of Jewish activism. Historiographical issues such as inescapable context has therefore made it difficult for historians to discover the truth due to the historian’s clouded judgement. These issues have significantly impacted the development of post-structuralist ideologies. Historiographers such as Hayden White has described history to be a ‘coherent and ordered representation of events or developments in sequential time.’ This has resulted in White categorising historians based on their style of writing history, the four narrative structures being: satire, romance, tragedy and comedy. The categorisation of historians in literary genres reflects how language limits historians in reaching the truth due to the changing nature of linguistics. This notion of varying presentations of history as a fictional work of the historian can be traced back to Herodotus, arguably the precursor to postmodernist thinking. His philosophy of the purpose of history being to preserve a memory is reflected by his methodology of interviewing participants of the Persian War. Nevertheless, his philosophy on truth is revealed through the way he narrates the story, including various stories from different eye witnesses, regardless whether the stories were believable or not as Herodotus believed that the audience decides their version of truth. However, it is the the heavy influence of Homeric traditions that has allowed him to become a precursor of post-structuralist thinking due to how his language reflects the fictionalised nature of history White discusses. Thus, the enigmatic nature of truth has allowed historians to re-evaluate the purpose of history due to the inevitability of limitations that can negate the possibility of reaching an exact truth. This reflects how historians have various philosophies in regards to the purpose of history, as seen in the emergence of the democratisation and politicisation of history.

I've covered a lot on the structure of Question 1 (What is History) but the Question 2 component (which is the case study) is a lot simpler. Because everyone does different case studies and Source A is a long source, Source B tends to be very short so your essay structure is a lot simpler. It's also easier to have a "prepared essay", in the sense that the points you tend to raise are very similar. For example, I did Churchill so my Question 2 structure tends to be: context, purpose, methodology. The way you write the intro and paragraphs are essentially the same way I approached What is History essays, but just focusing on Churchill and their sources.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 04:20:22 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2020, 07:56:26 pm »
+2
Thank you soooo much! It definitely helped a lot :D
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

nutellaaaa

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #423 on: October 15, 2020, 08:10:12 pm »
heyy can someone pls pls tell me, roughly if u get a 80% for ur major work, does it get scaled up or down? whats normally an average for major work marks anyway
s?  and normally if i want like an overall 38/50 wha
t raw marks out of 25 do i need for each essa
y? thanks😭😭

alice343

• Trendsetter
« Reply #424 on: October 16, 2020, 09:15:25 pm »
+2
heyy can someone pls pls tell me, roughly if u get a 80% for ur major work, does it get scaled up or down? whats normally an average for major work marks anyway
s?  and normally if i want like an overall 38/50 wha
t raw marks out of 25 do i need for each essa
y? thanks😭😭

The History Project is an internal assessment, so it goes towards your school assessment mark. I'm not an expert on all the scaling processes and stuff, but you don't need to worry about scaling for your major work since it doesn't get directly affected.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2020, 08:28:35 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Source Book of Readings? It doesn't appear to be on the NESA or BOS websites anymore.
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2020, 09:33:13 pm »
+2
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Source Book of Readings? It doesn't appear to be on the NESA or BOS websites anymore.
Hey,
I'm not sure if it's still online but I had it saved on my laptop.

Hope this helps!   :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #427 on: October 30, 2020, 11:40:18 am »
helppp
I've read owidjaja's essay guide + the pinned debate thread in the forum but I'm really struggling with engaging with the source while maintaining my own voice...
in my trials a critique was that I didn't have my "own opinion", I'm really struggling to show that I know what I'm talking about/to have an argumentative voice. what kind of language/phrases should I be using?
I don't get how to write a polemic response to hit that 45/50 instead of the 40/50 I'm currently at. any tips?? ??
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:44:40 am by rirerire »

ciarne28

• Adventurer
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2021, 04:37:47 pm »
Would anyone happen to have any Constructing History notes either for sale or for free. Please let me know!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2021, 04:47:47 pm »
+4
Would anyone happen to have any Constructing History notes either for sale or for free. Please let me know!
Hey, Welcome to the forums!  :D

Atar Notes has a bunch of history extension notes here that may be helpful!

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

jaidaswift

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2021, 11:25:07 am »
Hi, year 11 going to year 12 here. I was wondering what equipment you recommend for history extension in general and what helped you when doing your major work? My school hasn't provided an equipment list and I wanted advice from people who have done the course.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2021, 02:27:33 pm »
+1
Hi, year 11 going to year 12 here. I was wondering what equipment you recommend for history extension in general and what helped you when doing your major work? My school hasn't provided an equipment list and I wanted advice from people who have done the course.

Hey, welcome to the forums!  :D

Super exciting your picking up history extension-here are some articles that might be useful for you!
What is History Extension? A guide for subject selction and Is History Extension the right course for you?

I don't think I had any specific equipment for History Extension-just my pens/highlighters and loose paper for my folder. My teacher gave out a bunch of readings each week for the historians we studied & I used textbooks from the school. I ended up going to uni libraries and used online resources to research for my major work. Any equipment needed might vary among schools so always best to check with them at the start of next term.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about your major work. Maybe start thinking about some areas of history that you really enjoy. Keep in mind that your essay needs to be historiographical (so based on the historians and their account of the event). Here is an amazing guide on the major works that might be helpful later on in the year!

Hope this helps!! Let us know if you have any other questions (especially with online learning atm)!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:30:58 pm by katie,rinos »