Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:36 am

Author Topic: Summer holidays before year 12!  (Read 2496 times)  Share 

Vanshikav03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Summer holidays before year 12!
« on: January 19, 2020, 08:40:19 pm »
so, I am almost at the end of my summer holidays before year 12 starts and I completely wasted my time and didn't study ahead for any of my subjects. I have mainly completed the homework that I was assigned however that's all I've done... I really want to achieve a high ATAR and am willing to work for it however I have a major issue with procrastination. My tutor herself, a 99 ATAR receiver said that she learned all of unit 3 before starting school so now I'm really doubting myself and wondering if this will affect my scores and how I progress this year. advice needed!
Biology | Chemistry | psychology | English | Methods |
industry & enterprise 2019

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Summer holidays before year 12!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 08:51:40 pm »
+9
Using the summer holidays to study for VCE is always going to be useful but it definitely isn’t absolutely necessary to do extremely well. There are definitely those who only did the assigned coursework during the holidays and kept up to date with school work throughout the year (without going ahead of the class) and still could do extremely well in the end.

Anyway, you still have around 10 days of the summer holidays so there is still time to do at least a little bit during this time to maybe go a bit more relaxed into the school year.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 09:37:46 pm »
+9
Don't worry, I 'wasted' my time too. It's good to have a break before the stressful year ahead. It's better to go in fresh, rather than burnt out from studying hard in the holidays. It's beneficial to get some study done, however, like Sine said, isn't absolutely necessary. I only did the set homework for psych, yet I studied constantly throughout the year and for the end of year exams. For some people, learning content on the holidays can work for them, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Regarding procrastination - I am also a very big procrastinator! There were sacs I only started studying for a few days before the sac, and sometimes I would just come home and watch youtube. However, as long as studying becomes a habit, it's okay to procrastinate a little (I personally believe it's very difficult to fully stop procrastinating and do absolutely everything early). As long as you can keep up on top of your work, you will be a-okay! ;D
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 10:17:10 pm »
+8
Just want to chip in and say that it is absolutely ok to have a break from study during the holidays. First off, take a deep breath. You will be fine so long as you have the motivation and determination which is more important in the long run.

Like Sine and whys have said, it's not a definite thing you have to do in order to get high results. Sometimes being more refreshed from not doing anything will help you focus much better when the school year starts again, and you still have just over a week to do some light study if you feel like you need it.

Consistency is key and so long as you are doing little bits a day during the school year, it will definitely pay off in the end. Stay on top of things and make sure you ask questions (especially if you get stuck). Remember, VCE is a marathon, not a sprint.  ;D

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:15 pm »
+5
HI!!

I'm going to Year 12 this year too, and ngl, I haven't done any 'learning ahead,' either (although I really promised myself I would).

Its great that you've finished your homework, as most teachers ensure they that prep work that will be the most beneficial to you to start with.

Just make sure that you have got a good rest and are ready to start school off the right foot. Its so important to make sure you get back to school energised! What Sine said is absolutely right, and so important to keep in mind. For me, to help with not learning content early, I'm planning to work ahead in Term 1, rather than the holidays. For me at least, I only have 3 SACs in Term 1, so I'm planning to go through extra content in this time.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine  ;D Just work hard throughout the year.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:22:38 pm by ArtyDreams »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 10:21:41 pm »
+5
Want to throw a +1 behind it being ok to take a break and be a bit slack :) From what I remember, I left all my homework to the last few days of the holidays and didn't do any advance content. Its better to go into the year fresh from having a relaxing holiday than it is to work super hard and burn yourself out before school even starts. It's a long and tough slog at times, so you shouldn't feel bad for using your holidays as holidays. VCE is designed to be achievable for 17-18 year olds in the school terms - you don't have to have already covered a lot of content before the school year even starts in order to do well.