Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:05:15 am

Author Topic: Volunteering for Medicine application  (Read 586 times)  Share 

Renlow33

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Volunteering for Medicine application
« on: August 14, 2020, 03:15:00 pm »
Hi,
I am a year 11 student in Melbourne who is aspiring to study a Doctor of Medicine (MD) course at Monash or Melb Uni. I am worried that
I won't get into the course due to not having any volunteering experience in the healthcare setting or "not knowing what real medicine is like". I am very passionate about it and I can't see myself doing anything else because I love to help people and learn about the human body.
My local hospital doesn't accept any volunteers below the age of 18, and with COVID going on I doubt any other places are taking volunteers right now.

To those of you doing medicine, did you have significant volunteering experience? If you could give any recommendations I would really
appreciate it :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Volunteering for Medicine application
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 03:27:57 pm »
+11
Hi,
I am a year 11 student in Melbourne who is aspiring to study a Doctor of Medicine (MD) course at Monash or Melb Uni. I am worried that
I won't get into the course due to not having any volunteering experience in the healthcare setting or "not knowing what real medicine is like". I am very passionate about it and I can't see myself doing anything else because I love to help people and learn about the human body.
My local hospital doesn't accept any volunteers below the age of 18, and with COVID going on I doubt any other places are taking volunteers right now.

To those of you doing medicine, did you have significant volunteering experience? If you could give any recommendations I would really
appreciate it :)
You don't really need volunteering experience there are plenty who get in without it. Although, it has become quite popular for students to get a volunteering stint in to have something to talk about in interviews. 

Furthermore, volunteering with the purpose of using it for an application does not sit well with me and seems quite unethical since you should be volunteering to help others, not to help yourself and for your own personal gain.

Just to note, there are plenty of other careers in which you can help people and/or learn about the human body so if you haven't considered them it is probably worthwhile to do so in year 11/12 before your commit to anything.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash