Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:07:00 am

Author Topic: Lyrics of the Week - What are yours?  (Read 67760 times)  Share 

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Lyrics of the Week - What are yours?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:54 am »
+7
THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GONNA BE LITTLE DARLIN'
WE'LL BE RIDING ON THE HORSES, YEAH

Y'all are lucky to have a Melbourne Victory fan in the house.

In all seriousness, probably like every part of Poet by Bastille, but in particular this part:
I have written you down
Now you will live forever
And all the world will read you
And you will live forever
In eyes not yet created
On tongues that are not born
I have written you down
Now you will live forever

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 12:06:40 am »
+4
THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GONNA BE LITTLE DARLIN'
WE'LL BE RIDING ON THE HORSES, YEAH

Y'all are lucky to have a Melbourne Victory fan in the house.

In all seriousness, probably like every part of Poet by Bastille, but in particular this part:
What is it about these lyrics, for you?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
+6
What is it about these lyrics, for you?
I'm copping out here - remind me to give you a proper explanation when I'm not sleep-deprived. :P

But like, you know when you just feel some lyrics on a spiritual level? That's what I feel.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:14 am »
+9
My Last Song to Jenny | The Avett Brothers:

I want to live,
And I want you to live,
Happy and free.

But I don't know how,
To separate the now,
From what used to be.

To elaborate:

This was really my first (and hopefully only) break-up song. My first girlfriend and I got together in mid 2010 (Year 10), and broke up in mid 2012 (Year 12).

I initiated it, really, because I was struggling a fair bit at the time. I thought the relationship was contributing considerably. So we broke up, it was hard, and I thought I made a mistake. I didn't feel any better - in fact, I felt very much worse - and I realised that it probably wasn't the relationship that was making me feel poor.

And I don't think it was, even still.

After the break-up, there was a period of really good friendship (basically the rest of Year 12), and we flirted with getting together again. Pretty sure I was keener on it than she was, which was pretty fucked, and definitely not fair on her in the slightest.

Anyway, these lyrics speak to me due to the above. I wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, but it was hard at times knowing that we were no longer in a relationship. And that I'd essentially fucked it.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:25 pm »
+6
I think I just found my new spotify playlist right here :)

"Life can get you down so I just numb the way it feels
I drown it with a drink and out-of-date prescription pills
And all the ones that love me they just left me on the shelf
No farewell
So before I save someone else, I've got to save myself
And before I blame someone else, I've got to save myself
And before I love someone else, I've got to love myself"

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXM0JdAwabU

These lyrics are a gentle reminder that sometime it's okay to put yourself first, that it's okay to have some 'me time'. Something which is often more than not forgotten during the mad rush of Year 12 or VCE in general...

Can't wait to check back in 7 days to see what new song recommendations are!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 07:13:25 pm »
+7
Warwuyu ŋarranha mulkana
Ŋarraku bäpawu
Ŋuruŋuna guṉipunharayu
Yaa, bäpa marrkapmirri

Ŋäthina wilawilayurruna
Ŋuruŋuna djarrawalyurruna
Ḻiya-wayna Bekuḻŋura
Yaa, bäpa marrkapmirri

Ŋäthina Djotarra maṉḏa
Garray Dhuwandjika Daylulu
Ŋuruŋuna djarrapalwuyu
Ḻiya-wayna wäŋaŋura Gunyaŋarri

These are from the song Bapa, by Dr G. Yunupingu*. He passed away this week at the age of 46. In spite of his enormous fame worldwide (he'd been on the cover of Rolling Stone, had performed for Barrack Obama and the Queen twice and also sang on stage with Sting after the Paris terrorist attacks) he died a death all too familiar to indigenous Australians. As a child, he was afflicted with hepatitis B and this week eventually passed away due to renal failure secondary to diabetes. By our own community's standards, dying at the age of 46 of kidney disease due to diabetes is extremely rare; however, it is not at all uncommon in Indigenous communities, which already have a much higher rate of diabetes.

These lyrics are really important to me, because it was because of him that I begun to realise just how much cultural heritage this country has. He sings in yolŋu matha, which is an indigenous language with nearly 5000 speakers, many of them first language only. These communities, and their cultures, are just about as remote from our own down here in Melbourne as anywhere else in the world. That he was able to bring his culture to the rest of the world was an enormous achievement and that so few Australians are even aware that these communities exist, let alone having any idea about what languages they speak etc, is a sad indictment on our knowledge of our own country.

*I've refrained from using his full name because, in Indigenous culture, it is deeply offensive to do so after someone has passed away. This is why there are sometimes warnings before films to say that a show may depict images of indigenous people who have died. It's also why you won't have heard his music played and will have seen his face blurred if you managed to catch a news item about his death.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »
+5
To elaborate:

This was really my first (and hopefully only) break-up song. My first girlfriend and I got together in mid 2010 (Year 10), and broke up in mid 2012 (Year 12).

I initiated it, really, because I was struggling a fair bit at the time. I thought the relationship was contributing considerably. So we broke up, it was hard, and I thought I made a mistake. I didn't feel any better - in fact, I felt very much worse - and I realised that it probably wasn't the relationship that was making me feel poor.

And I don't think it was, even still.

After the break-up, there was a period of really good friendship (basically the rest of Year 12), and we flirted with getting together again. Pretty sure I was keener on it than she was, which was pretty fucked, and definitely not fair on her in the slightest.

Anyway, these lyrics speak to me due to the above. I wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, but it was hard at times knowing that we were no longer in a relationship. And that I'd essentially fucked it.

This post dun have me fucked up.

These are from the song Bapa, by Dr G. Yunupingu*. He passed away this week at the age of 46. In spite of his enormous fame worldwide (he'd been on the cover of Rolling Stone, had performed for Barrack Obama and the Queen twice and also sang on stage with Sting after the Paris terrorist attacks) he died a death all too familiar to indigenous Australians. As a child, he was afflicted with hepatitis B and this week eventually passed away due to renal failure secondary to diabetes. By our own community's standards, dying at the age of 46 of kidney disease due to diabetes is extremely rare; however, it is not at all uncommon in Indigenous communities, which already have a much higher rate of diabetes.

These lyrics are really important to me, because it was because of him that I begun to realise just how much cultural heritage this country has. He sings in yolŋu matha, which is an indigenous language with nearly 5000 speakers, many of them first language only. These communities, and their cultures, are just about as remote from our own down here in Melbourne as anywhere else in the world. That he was able to bring his culture to the rest of the world was an enormous achievement and that so few Australians are even aware that these communities exist, let alone having any idea about what languages they speak etc, is a sad indictment on our knowledge of our own country.

*I've refrained from using his full name because, in Indigenous culture, it is deeply offensive to do so after someone has passed away. This is why there are sometimes warnings before films to say that a show may depict images of indigenous people who have died. It's also why you won't have heard his music played and will have seen his face blurred if you managed to catch a news item about his death.
I think I just found my new spotify playlist right here :)

"Life can get you down so I just numb the way it feels
I drown it with a drink and out-of-date prescription pills
And all the ones that love me they just left me on the shelf
No farewell
So before I save someone else, I've got to save myself
And before I blame someone else, I've got to save myself
And before I love someone else, I've got to love myself"

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXM0JdAwabU

These lyrics are a gentle reminder that sometime it's okay to put yourself first, that it's okay to have some 'me time'. Something which is often more than not forgotten during the mad rush of Year 12 or VCE in general...

Can't wait to check back in 7 days to see what new song recommendations are!
Really important posts - thank you both!

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 07:39:34 pm »
+7
This has definitely become my favourite thread on the music board. The only issue now is trying to decide what song to pick...
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 11:21:55 am »
+4
This has definitely become my favourite thread on the music board. The only issue now is trying to decide what song to pick...

YES! Same here! There so many lyrics which speak to me at various time in my life. Guess we will have just waiting and see :)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:10 am »
+3
Okay, it's been a week. I listen to a lot of music, and the entire time, I've been trying to think of what lyrics are the best. Some of them told stories, and some of them dealt with issues such as alcoholism and childhood abandonment -- heavy stuff. However, I recently listened to one song, which is absolutely perfect. Not only are the lyrics meaningful, but the song itself is quite important. However, for this, we're going to need some context.

I've only ever been in one relationship. Now, before we dated, we were pretty much best friends. This friendship was originally founded after we discovered we shared a love of folk metal (and other metal subgenres not overly popular in Australia), so as you can imagine, we listened to a lot of music together (this is important for later). Now, if we fast forward to the start of 2017 (four years later), we had just broken up. Not only did I lose my girlfriend, but I lost my best friend, and frankly I lost her parents too (I was very close with both of them), so I was understandably devastated. However, I couldn't find solace in my music anymore -- every metal band I listened to we had spent hours listening to together, discussing, dancing together to, or seeing live. So, no more metal for me.

Perhaps a few weeks later, I turn on the radio, and I hear 'How To Save A Life' -- The Fray. Now, the lyrics that really stuck with me:

I know the story the song is based upon. However, I also know that The Fray really enjoy different interpretations of their own song, so I hope mine isn't too silly. Essentially, when I listened to this song, it's from her point of view.

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend -- Simple enough. She's trying to pinpoint why everything went to shit. After all, at the very base level, I was her best friend.
Somewhere along in the bitterness -- This is discovering the reason. All the factors for the split lead back to my depression (which I was suffering from for the majority of our time together). Bitterness=depression.
And I would have stayed up with you all night -- This is the part of her that always said she would have done anything to help me.
Had I known how to save a life -- However, she only could have helped me if she knew what to do, and I wasn't very cooperative with this. She couldn't do anything because there was nothing to do.

This song really gave me a new perspective on the whole situation. I finally saw how hard it was for her -- not just the breakup, but dating a depressed person who refused help. After this, a lot of the resentment I was holding was quelled, which is obviously fantastic. It holds a long of meaning to me, and I wished to share. A bit sappy, a bit emotional, but I think this really shows how important music can be.

Also, please ignore that this is at 2am and a bit rambly -- I've never been the most eloquent of people, especially when I can't sleep. I should also note that I managed to separate my feelings from the music I used to love, so I do indeed listen to it again.

:)

Oh my gosh! I remember this song, a song which was played during my childhood. Yeah the lyrics definitively are one which I think many of us can relate to

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:27 pm »
+9
I've also been thinking about what lyrics to share this week and I figured out early what song it was going to be from - the rest of the week was trying to figure out which lyrics from that song to share. It was a near impossible task - it's an amazing song, I think.

Calebark - potentially your experience will relate, perhaps it won't.

People can listen here.

And you can read the rest of the lyrics here.

Context

My first serious relationship ended in April this year. We were together from soon after I turned 16 to soon after I turned 22. It was a very peaceful breakup. There was no 'incident', no animosity, no destructive behaviours. We just sat down to talk about the future and mutually decided it was the right time to no longer be together.

The song my lyrics come from this week is called Walk You Home... The artist says about the lyrics: "So I wrote you the song that you deserve to let you know / You will always be my first and most wonderful love". So, it's a letter to his ex-girlfriend.

Essentially, the first verse talks about how amazing she is. The second verse is him saying goodbye. It's a fucking amazing song. Unfortunately, I can't encapsulate that in only a small section of lyrics :( :(  but the lyrics that I've chosen are:

And it's gone now, you wouldn't even know it was there
But you'd get lost tryna navigate the moments we've shared
Like when we held each other's hands and we said goodbye
Tears streaming out our eyes like somebody had died

Now it's the day after your birthday and it's pouring outside
And I'm catching arrow tips with my fingers down the phone line

The first four lines fuck me up... The last two lines are hectic because "it's the day after your birthday" - for me, the day after my ex-girlfriend's birthday would have been our six year anniversary this year (we broke up after 5 years and 11 months)... just one of those weird things that come up in music sometimes like, day after your birthday??? why did you write that bro???? what is significant about that for you, the artist??? WAS YOUR ANNIVERSARY THE DAY AFTER HER BIRTHDAY AS WELL?????

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 08:18:07 pm »
+5
Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on
Streetlight people
Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlight people
Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs
I find this song keeps me going, even when nothing seems to be going right. That's all I probably need to say haha.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 09:17:17 pm »
+6
Quote from: The Avett Brothers
So you want to be in love like the movies.
But in the movies, they're not in love at all.
And with a twinkle in their eyes,
They're just saying their lines.
So we can't be in love like the movies.

Now in the movies, they make it look so perfect.
And in the background, they're always playing the right song.
And in the ending, there's always a resolution.
But real life is more than just two hours long.

Full song here.

Potentially stretching it a little - will try to be more selective in the future. But I think these lines really summarise the song nicely.

I like it a lot. Haven't listened to it in ages (will do now), but it came to mind this week when thinking of this thread.

The way I interpret this, it's a reflection of modern society. In movies, on Instagram, in magazines - what we see of people's lives is, selectively, the best portion. We see people's triumphs, but we don't see their struggles, and so on. So, you want to be in love like the movies - you pine for what you see. But in the movies, they're not in love at all - not everything is as it seems.

Love is difficult. Love isn't straightforward.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:10:27 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 10:03:50 pm »
+8
@Brenden (not going to quote as it's pretty big)

They're some damn good lyrics; I had a read and a listen. It's certainly applicable to myself (as I'm sure it is to a lot of people).

Just my interpretation: the birthday would obviously remind him of her. He can't talk to her on her birthday -- she'd be busy, and why would you possibly provide something negative on her birthday? But the day after, now that's fair game, and it seems like he can't get that out of his head.

Thanks for sharing -- definitely powerful.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 10:08:31 pm »
+8
Full song here.

Potentially stretching it a little - will try to be more selective in the future. But I think these lines really summarise the song nicely.

I like it a lot. Haven't listened to it in ages (will do now), but it came to mind this week when thinking of this thread.

The way I interpret this, it's a reflection of modern society. In movies, on Instagram, in magazines - what we see of people's lives is, selectively, the best portion. We see people's triumphs, but we don't see their struggles, and so on. So, you want to be in love like the movies - you pine for what you see. But in the movies, they're not in love at all - not everything is as it seems.

Love is difficult. Love isn't straightforward.
Loooooooooove those lyrics and that interpretation. Great lines.

@Brenden (not going to quote as it's pretty big)

They're some damn good lyrics; I had a read and a listen. It's certainly applicable to myself (as I'm sure it is to a lot of people).

Just my interpretation: the birthday would obviously remind him of her. He can't talk to her on her birthday -- she'd be busy, and why would you possibly provide something negative on her birthday? But the day after, now that's fair game, and it seems like he can't get that out of his head.

Thanks for sharing -- definitely powerful.
Genuinely really appreciate this interpretation. Those lines do my head in. Like, what is catching arrow tips? Why after her birthday?

Thanks for your thoughts!