Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:09:14 am

Author Topic: teaching  (Read 14033 times)  Share 

turley

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
teaching
« on: December 16, 2009, 10:04:50 pm »
who is considering teaching as a career? (ie. actually in schools - not shifty tutors)
VCE has ruined my life

kyzoo

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +23
Re: teaching
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:07:22 pm »
+2
who is considering teaching as a career? (ie. actually in schools - not shifty tutors)

"shifty"? LOL
~ Methods (Non-CAS) [48 --> 49.4]

~ Spesh [50 --> 51.6]
~ Physics [50 --> 50]
~ Chem [43 --> 46.5]
~ English [46 --> 46.2]
~ UMEP Maths [5.0]

2010 ATAR: 99.90
Aggregate 206.8

NOTE: PLEASE CONTACT ME ON EMAIL - [email protected] if you are looking for a swift reply.

Nic K

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:15 pm »
Me!!!! I want to teach secondary students :)
2009:
Health and Human Development

2010:
English
Geography
Environmental Science
National Politics
Theatre Studies

walkec

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 06:03:06 pm »
I want to! It's the only thing I have ever wanted to do and the further I get along in school, I can see me being a great teacher even more

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »
I don't know about teaching but lecturing at a university might be okay :)
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

walkec

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:31:44 pm »
Does anyone know of any education degrees where you are qualifies to teach both primary and secondary? Many thanks  :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »
Does anyone know of any education degrees where you are qualifies to teach both primary and secondary? Many thanks  :)
I've heard of one from Prep-10. Might be a Monash course. Not really sure at all, it's just in my head for some reason.
Yep! The reason I'm trying in VCE is so I can get into secondary teaching and help kids not to make the same mistakes I did lol. (And I do like teaching quite a bit).
Who's going for a double in Arts/S.Ed next year at Monash Clayton?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Muuru

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:05:43 pm »

Take a look at the Victorian Institute of Teaching site for all the information you need. From what I've read, the two main ones are Monash University's Bachelor of Education (P-10) and Victoria University's Bachelor of Education (P-12).

This was originally on my list of preferences after I completed my VCE several years ago, but I opted to do straight Arts and then complete a graduate-entry teaching degree (at present, I'm studying the MTeach at Melbourne). In hindsight, I'm glad I chose the BA -> MTeach path rather than the BA/BEd double degree as I've heard that BEd degrees in general are too saturated in theory. Somebody on this forum stated not long ago that BEd students at Monash have the bulk of their placement days crammed into fourth year as well, which I think is bad. That was a primary student teacher though, so it might be different for secondary candidates.

As the MTeach at Melbourne is only a two-year degree, it cuts out most of the theory (not all) and devotes more time to the practicalities of teaching, which I'm enjoying thoroughly. Your placement day are spread throughout the whole degree too; you're in a school for at least two days EVERY week. One of the main reasons I chose it!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:16:09 pm by Muuru »

BA Monash, MTeach Melb., GradCertEd Melb.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:15:24 pm »
Is a masters > a bachelor?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

max payne

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:12 pm »
Say if you do a bachelor of mathematics at UoM, how would you go about adding a teaching degree? Whats a teaching degree like (as in what do you do). Im actually clueless in what the provess is in becoming a teacher.

JaneDoe

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »
I am, it's my first preference. I'm really hoping to get into it because I love the options that come along with doing a double degree compared to just a single education degree.
2012: English | Further Maths | Business Management | Legal Studies | Community Services (VET)

KevinooBz

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:38:27 pm »
Is a masters > a bachelor?
You get paid more and it's a higher degree so it is greater.
Say if you do a bachelor of mathematics at UoM, how would you go about adding a teaching degree? Whats a teaching degree like (as in what do you do). Im actually clueless in what the provess is in becoming a teacher.
Bachelor of Mathematics, not sure if UoM have that. If you meant Bachelor of Science majoring in Mathematical Science or something similar to that you just need to do the pre requisite subjects to qualify for the Master of Teaching. I'm not 100% sure on what you study but you get work placements at schools and at uni you focus on what you choose to specialize in, math and chemistry for example.

walkec

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:43:47 pm »
How much more do you get paid if you have a masters?

KevinooBz

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:50:33 pm »
How much more do you get paid if you have a masters?
It's only a couple thousand more. You can a better salary if you work somewhere other than Victoria or you get promoted to co ordinater, principal, subject head and things like that.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:55 pm »
+4
Teaching salary is based on years teaching and responsibilities within the school - not qualifications, sorry. And you don't get promotions based on qualifications, either; I'm not saying it's totally irrelevant, but it's mainly a matter of working your way up the ladder by applying progressively for higher positions of responsibility.

To become a teacher you can either do a full undergraduate degree or what is essentially a postgraduate diploma of one year (a couple of different options exist for the postgrad). You do two subjects per semester on theory of learning and teaching, plus two subjects on what you want to teach (ie what your undergraduate studies qualify you in).

Please note this is the qualification for secondary teaching! But secondary qualifications allow you to teach primary as well (it doesn't work the other way around, though).
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!