Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:35:17 pm

Author Topic: Is Engineering A Good Subject Choince?  (Read 3589 times)  Share 

GreenNinja

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Is Engineering A Good Subject Choince?
« on: September 22, 2021, 09:46:50 pm »
+1
I am about to go to grade 11.
I am definetly already doing Methods, Specalist, Chemistry, Physics & English.
I perform well with all subjects excluding english.
I am planning to go into medicine therefore am planning to have 5 high atar subjects other than english to go towards atar.
I have selected engineering as my 5th subject, however I have not seen many students at all pick this subject, especially not any students who went for medicine.
So, my I am wondering, is engineering actually as high atar subject? and why don't many people pick it?

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Is Engineering A Good Subject Choince?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:39:58 am »
+2
I am about to go to grade 11.
I am definetly already doing Methods, Specalist, Chemistry, Physics & English.
I perform well with all subjects excluding english.
I am planning to go into medicine therefore am planning to have 5 high atar subjects other than english to go towards atar.
I have selected engineering as my 5th subject, however I have not seen many students at all pick this subject, especially not any students who went for medicine.
So, my I am wondering, is engineering actually as high atar subject? and why don't many people pick it?

Engineering and Medicine are both great subject choices to consider however if you want to go into Medicine, I would recommend that you also consider taking Biology just to make life easier and also because most universities ask for biology to get into medicine. In terms of which subject you want to pick, you should pick whichever you like more as that should be your first priority. If you really enjoy Medicine, then do it. If you really enjoy Engineering instead, do it. I don't really know what you mean by "high ATAR subject" but it doesn't matter whether Engineering requires a high ATAR. Instead of pondering why it isn't "a high ATAR subject" maybe consider making it a high ATAR subject by getting a high score yourself!

The reason why it seems like engineering is not all that popular is because perhaps your cohort chooses Law for example over most other subjects although I cannot speak for that. I do however agree that it is not really much of a popular subject since nowadays, people are interested in IT and Commerce fields as well.

Now you also mentioned that you perform well in all the subjects you stated except English. You still have a lot of time before VCE so you should have enough time to fix that if you work efficiently.

Finally, I wish you the best of luck in your VCE Journey and I hope you do well in which ever subject you chose.  :)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Is Engineering A Good Subject Choince?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 12:06:17 pm »
+2
There really isn't anything called a "high atar subject". Some subjects do scale up/down but doing subjects that scale up doesn't automatically mean someone will get a high atar. The reason they scale up is because the cohort doing the subject is strong academically so it is harder to get a higher raw score (since competing with strong students) therefore scaling exists to make sure that each subject is comparable to each other.

You can certainly still get a high atar with subjects that don't scale/scale down as long as you get raw scores high enough.