Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:28:16 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine  (Read 2196 times)  Share 

laik

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
« on: September 07, 2021, 05:32:27 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, Just wondering what unis offered a bachelor of science/doctor of veterinary medicine package? I tried looking at the murdoch uni one and I couldn't tell what the ATAR requirements were, so if anyone knows what ATAR you need as well for this sort of pathway, that would be great. Also are there any other guaranteed pathways of becoming a vet (or is there some sort of bachelor degree, which would make you a vet?)
Cheers

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:47:09 pm »
+2
I know that the University of Melbourne has a graduate degree package of Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine that you can learn more about here–
https://study.unimelb.edu.au/study-with-us/guaranteed-undergraduate-to-graduate-study-pathways/graduate-degree-packages
The entry requirements state:
ATAR: 98.50+
WAM 70%+ (in both Level 1 and Level 2 science subjects)
Personal statement to be submitted at the time of enrolment in the Veterinary BioSciences major.
Bachelor of Science with a major in Veterinary BioSciences is required

There may also be other unis but I'm not too sure. Hope this helped

laik

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:07:22 am »
+1
Thanks blueycan
With the Melbourne graduate degree package, if you get 98.5 and above, you're guaranteed a place in the DVM course right? So you don't have to do any extra tests at the end of the bachelor degree or submit a written application?

Also, I didn't quite understand what the 95 and above guaranteed entry for the DVM program was about? Is that the same- so you do the bachelor of science and then you are guaranteed a place into DVM (without doing extra tests or written applications)? If so, what's the difference between the two programs (the graduate package and the guaranteed entry)?

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 09:46:40 am »
+2
Thanks blueycan
With the Melbourne graduate degree package, if you get 98.5 and above, you're guaranteed a place in the DVM course right? So you don't have to do any extra tests at the end of the bachelor degree or submit a written application?

Also, I didn't quite understand what the 95 and above guaranteed entry for the DVM program was about? Is that the same- so you do the bachelor of science and then you are guaranteed a place into DVM (without doing extra tests or written applications)? If so, what's the difference between the two programs (the graduate package and the guaranteed entry)?

I’m actually not too sure of the specifics of the degree myself so I’ll let someone more experienced help you out– but I do know that Unimelb is offering free phone consultations to students about courses so maybe it’s worth having a look into that to see if they can tell you more about the degrees. I’ll send you the website link through PM.
Sorry for not being able to help more!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 01:40:41 am »
+10
Hey! I'm currently studying BSci/DVM at UniMelb. To answer your second post first, basically how the graduate degree package works is that you are guaranteed a commonwealth supported place (CSP) in Melbourne Veterinary School's DVM program IF you:
- get an ATAR of 98.5 or above
- receive a satisfactory score on the DVM situational judgement test
- submit a 500-word personal statement in second year
- maintain a weighted average of 70%+ in first and second year science subjects
- meet the necessary course prerequisites (eg. first year chemistry and biology, second year biochemistry molecular biology and veterinary science)

So it's not a full guarantee per se, but it's pretty close.

As for your second question, if you get an ATAR between 95 and 98.45, you are guaranteed a full fee paying place (FFP) in the same program. There is no difference in terms of content. They are the exact same course. The only difference is that FFP students must pay their fees upfront while CSP students can put it on their HECs.

For the question in your original post, the other universities which offer DVM courses in Australia are USyd, UQ, UAdel, Murdoch, Charles Sturt, and James Cook uni. Though keep in mind that these universities will have different requirements and many don't have the BSci/DVM package. Many of these universities will also have physics as a prerequisite.

By the way, getting a 95 or 98.5 is definitely not the only way into DVM. At unimelb, this is one of the pathways to get into the accelerated DVM program (i.e. 2 years of Bachelor of Science instead of 3 and become a qualified vet in 6 years instead of 7), but there are so many other pathways into it as well.

Hope this helps! I'm starting DVM next year so if you have any more questions feel free to ask! :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

laik

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 11:51:18 am »
+1
Apologies for the late response- but thank you colline. It helped me a lot