Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:32 am

Author Topic: How can I get into Maths Methods?  (Read 1294 times)  Share 

plumfairy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How can I get into Maths Methods?
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:06:55 am »
I’m currently in year 10 and is interested in pursuing software engineering, in order to enter a course for software engineering, most universities need a completion of maths methods.
I’m unsure of whether I’d be able to get into maths methods due to my current grades now as I’m just slightly below the average needed to get into methods.

What should I do?

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Re: How can I get into Maths Methods?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:21:41 am »
+3
I think the best thing is to talk to your career's advisor or anyone with a similar role at your school about needing methods for your course in case you are able to do the course without methods. Beyond that, best thing might be to try and raise your grade or at least show your teachers that you have the hard work and drive to be able to complete the methods course
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 03:34:50 pm »
I’m currently in year 10 and is interested in pursuing software engineering, in order to enter a course for software engineering, most universities need a completion of maths methods.
I’m unsure of whether I’d be able to get into maths methods due to my current grades now as I’m just slightly below the average needed to get into methods.

What should I do?
I would offer another suggestion such as studying via distance education if your school won't let you. But it is a bit harder doing it online than at an actual school. Good luck :)

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:50:08 pm »

What should I do?

The only prereq for university entry for an undergrad degree I found was a study score of 25+ for English/Lit or 35+ or EAL. Didn't see anything for methods.
On a different note, would it have to be methods or would someone like me be able to take spesh and still get in?

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, but if you think that you can still get in and get a decent score (or at least higher than the uni prereq) then go for it.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 06:02:11 pm »
+2

What should I do?
You have a few options:
1. Best case scenario: lift your grades up, if you can, exactly as SnekiSnek said. I’d highly advise you talk to your maths teacher too to see what sorts of mistakes you’re making. The Software engineering courses’ most common pathways primarily are via software engineering specific courses (as in the ones literally called “Bachelor of Software engineering”), the engineering (needs usually Methods/ Physics), comp sci/ data science (sometimes has Methods prereq)  or IT pathways (doesn’t usually have Methods as prerequisite).
2. Assuming school bars you from taking Methods, the alternative is distance education, typically with VSV, as Stormbreaker said.
3. If all else fails, check if you can go via an alternative pathway later on e.g. Check for similar courses without the Methods requirement or if a Methods bridging course or unit is available.
4. Last resort: Take it as a postgrad and take a different undergrad course to fulfil the postgrad requirements.

The only prereq for university entry for an undergrad degree I found was a study score of 25+ for English/Lit or 35+ or EAL. Didn't see anything for methods.
Depends on the pathway one takes. Some do require Methods as stated above.

On a different note, would it have to be methods or would someone like me be able to take spesh and still get in?
A prerequisite for the VCE Spesh subject is that you must also take Methods, either the same units at the same time or take Methods as an advanced placement (MM U3/4 and SM U1/2 in Year 11).
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread