Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:39:07 am

Author Topic: Methods 1/2 to Further 3/4  (Read 2104 times)  Share 

Matat

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Methods 1/2 to Further 3/4
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:00:48 pm »
I am currently doing methods 1/2 and finding it really difficult and always unmotivated to do the work and study, and have come to the realisation that there is no benefit in me doing methods. So I'm considering doing further 3/4 next year and dropping methods. Does any content or topics in methods also appear in further? So I could focus more on a certain topic this year to prepare for further next year. And does anyone who has done this have any tips for moving between the subjects?

Thanks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Methods 1/2 to Further 3/4
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 08:00:07 am »
+4
Welcome to ATARNotes!

I am currently doing methods 1/2 and finding it really difficult and always unmotivated to do the work and study, and have come to the realisation that there is no benefit in me doing methods. So I'm considering doing further 3/4 next year and dropping methods.
One question before you drop Methods for sure: what course are you hoping to do after Year 12? There are a number of courses that require Methods as a prerequisite, especially if you’re looking at STEMM (second M is for medicine and I count biomed, health sciences and allied health under that branch) and commerce courses. If you’re not interested in any courses that have Methods as a prerequisite, then I’d be convinced for you to drop it.

Does any content or topics in methods also appear in further?
In Further U3/4, you have core modules that everyone does and then 2 modules of 4 options that your school chooses (you can do different ones on the exams but it’s easier to stick with the ones your school does since you would’ve prepared for them on SACs anyway).

The core modules are Data Analysis (basically data and stats) and Recursions and Financial Modelling. Data Analysis covers some of the stuff you’d likely have seen before VCE, whereas the other core module, probably not so much.

The 4 choice modules are: Matrices
(depending on school, you may never have covered this, but does overlap with some stuff in Methods U3/4 from memory), Networks and decision maths (again, not always covered with your history), Geometry and Measurement (self explanatory, often somewhat covered by pre-VCE maths), and Graphs and Relations (probably most familiar to you as a (ex-)Methods student). You’ll need to find out which modules your school does to know whether you’ve already covered some of these concepts or not, as well as looking at the study design.

And does anyone who has done this have any tips for moving between the subjects?
I took General U1/2 in Year 10 and returned in Year 12, along with taking Methods normally. If there’s any tips from me it’s to watch your answers (the questions and thus answers are different to how one would approach Methods) and to be very careful of making mistakes as they can be costly. Oh and learn how to use your CAS properly for the Core modules. (Note: I did Further U3/4 in 2014 though so my info may be a touch off.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread