Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:55:10 am

Author Topic: Melb Uni vs Monash vs RMIT for engineering  (Read 1386 times)  Share 

farbevys

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Melb Uni vs Monash vs RMIT for engineering
« on: June 08, 2021, 08:16:58 pm »
Hi everyone,
Interested in doing an engineering degree in university, leaning more towards mechanical but still open to electrical, chemical and aerospace (although i heard the jobs arent great for it). If I am able to achieve the required ATAR, which one out of these would be the best option:
Bachelor of Science + Masters of Engineering graduate package at MelbUni or without graduate package (depends on ATAR)
Or bachelor of engineering at either RMIT or Monash.
It would also take me around 1.5-2 hours to get to Monash, which would certainly be my first preference if it wasn't for the distance.
I have also heard different things regarding RMIT and Unimelb on engineering and which one is better, and I am aware that MelbUni is 1 year longer.
Overall, what would be the best a) regarding my situation of location b) in terms of how employers view the degrees c) how the degrees equip you to become an engineer (regarding the coursework, length of course, etc.)
Edit: To get to the city is about an hour on public transport
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 08:21:02 pm by farbevys »

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
Re: Melb Uni vs Monash vs RMIT for engineering
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 09:09:36 pm »
The reason the Melburne uni one is longer is they make you do more breadth subjects and have a really flexible under graduate degree. Personally, seems like a bit of a work around just to make more money but it does have some real benefits, mainly it fixes the problem of kids going into a course, then finding out they hate it and then being left adrift about wth they r going to do.
The job prospects r bloody fantastic for engineering, literally all the engineering fields u mentioned r growing. I think RMIT even introduced a new space engineer course this year lol.
But anyway, prehaps you could also consider Swinburne? A physics teacher of mine was taking about them and said that at monash and stuff, graduates will walk out of their with an amazing grasp of the theory, which is all well and good but swinburne places a heavier emphasis on actual, real life experience with engineering. It is quite good (obviously u still learn a ton of theroy, just they allow you to get real world experience, very useful for equipping u for a real job. So if u haven't considered it maybe look at Swinburne?
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.