Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:21:25 pm

Author Topic: Advice on being ahead in General Maths  (Read 2993 times)  Share 

Jordy33

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advice on being ahead in General Maths
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:27:01 pm »
Hi guys so I'm starting Year 11 and I'm wondering if it's worth being ahead in General Maths, or just use some of that time towards other subjects I'm doing such as Physics and Chemistry. I've just looked over the few chapters my school is doing this sesmester, and 2/3s of it seems to be a repeat of Year 10 adv. maths.

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Advice on being ahead in General Maths
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 12:00:13 am »
+7
Hi guys so I'm starting Year 11 and I'm wondering if it's worth being ahead in General Maths, or just use some of that time towards other subjects I'm doing such as Physics and Chemistry. I've just looked over the few chapters my school is doing this sesmester, and 2/3s of it seems to be a repeat of Year 10 adv. maths.

Hey! It's hard to say as everyone studies differently. From my experience as someone who repeated General Maths (did it first in year 10 then repeated it in year 11), the content is not too difficult and it's more about just making sure that you are getting enough practice. I wasn't doing drastically better than anyone else in my cohort in year 11 just because I had a one-year headstart.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people jump straight into Further without having done General, while with subjects such as Physics and Chem it's a lot rarer. IMO it might be better use of your time solidifying your foundation in Physics and Chem if you are already feeling confident in General, especially if it repeats a lot of content from what you did in year 10.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

fish58

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 02:47:43 pm »
Hi,
I am a senior maths teacher. I would agree with the previous comment. General Mathematics is reasonably straight forward and it sounds like you are a competent maths student. I would spend the extra time you have consolidating your knowledge of physics and chemistry which are significantly more difficult, particularly in year 12.
Good luck with your VCE journey 👍👍

bubbleBoy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 10:26:12 pm »
I would probably encourage you to test your knowledge by going through the General Maths Textbook your school is using and doing some of the chapter exercises , see if you can do them reasonably comfortably, also there are plenty of websites that offer sample questions for General Maths.

Good Luck !!!