Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:17:30 am

Author Topic: VCE English Exam 2020 - Discussion, Questions, Potential Solutions  (Read 11116 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
When the exam has finished, use this thread to chat all things English.

How did you go? Was it better/worse than expected? Any other thoughts? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

joe444

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Re: VCE English Exam 2020 - Discussion, Questions, Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
... and, as in previous years, if anyone wishes to upload a scan, that would be greatly appreciated.  I should be able to upload something tonight if not.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »
Section A - I did Pride and Prejudice, question i (or whatever was the first impressions one). Let me just say, I prepared for so many hard questions. Not for the EASIEST QUESTION EVER. I loved it. :D :D
Section B - Ransom/The Queen, I did question i I think (or whatever the grief one was). We'd actually prepared for both of those questions in class. 'Nuff said.
Section C - I was worried about getting a second thing we had to analyse. I was happy, overall.

Overall rating: a very solid 9.5/10. The only thing that stops it being 10/10 is my lingering feeling that if I think I did well, I generally don't do as well.

Overall: I think I've fallen in love with an exam... :P
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 01:12:42 pm »
Section A - I did Pride and Prejudice, question i (or whatever was the first impressions one). Let me just say, I prepared for so many hard questions. Not for the EASIEST QUESTION EVER. I loved it. :D :D
Section B - Ransom/The Queen, I did question i I think (or whatever the grief one was). We'd actually prepared for both of those questions in class. 'Nuff said.
Section C - I was worried about getting a second thing we had to analyse. I was happy, overall.

Overall rating: a very solid 9.5/10. The only thing that stops it being 10/10 is my lingering feeling that if I think I did well, I generally don't do as well.

Overall: I think I've fallen in love with an exam... :P

Nice work!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

drops

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 01:14:25 pm »
Overall good paper

nirgun.kaur

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:26:42 pm »
Really, really good paper, but I can help but think that I didn't do as well as I had expected - but I guess that that's a usual concern after the exams :((
[2019]: Methods
[2020]: English, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Health & Human Development
2021: *fingers cross* Bach of Biomed or Science @anywhere in melb <3

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 01:27:30 pm »
Really, really good paper, but I can help but think that I didn't do as well as I had expected - but I guess that that's a usual concern after the exams :((
What texts did you do?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Genshai

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 01:56:16 pm »
I'm a little disappointed in myself, to be honest. I just didn't vibe with this exam (idk how to explain it haha). The questions were fine (not my favourite, but not bad at all!); I did Station Eleven for A and Dressmaker/Crucible for B, and I was quite surprised to find only one thing to analyse for section C. I think I'm set for... 50-60% ??

I'm hoping these negative feelings are just my general self-deprecating thoughts, but I guess we'll have to wait haha!

I hope everyone's happy so far!! Good luck for all your future exams!!
2019: Biology [40]
2020: English [35], Methods [27], Art [36], Revs [38], Chem [29]

ATAR: 87.85

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 02:04:30 pm »
Just wanted to ask if anyone knows.
For section a, I did Rear window (prompt was the one about companionship and belonging) but I forgot to discuss cinematic techniques  :'(. Does anyone know if that will significantly reduce my mark?

I usually put on in every paragraph- my teacher said at least one but who knows maybe that’s just her preference shes who picky!!

You did amazing regardless so maybe just relax and take your mind off this :)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »
7/10

It was an easy prompt for Rear Window- my dreaded text response. I was lucky the only essay I wrote nicely was on this. I was careful NOT to regurgitate as ever since my failed rear window sac missing the prompt scares me.

Section C was so dry😭😭 didn’t vibe with it. Like sometimes there’s good stuff but this was just baddddd. I think I got 6/7 out of 10 not that 8.

Section B my favourite, the prompts threw me a little bit I think I demonstrated “conceptual complexity“ I guess? Who knows. Let’s hope.

Overall it was 20 minutes into the exam where I threw away my hopes for a 40 study score. I think 37 is more accurate now- but who knows! Maybe they’ll love my mediocre pieces  :)
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

99.95_goal

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 02:27:57 pm »
That was surprisingly good - the topics are all ones that I have pondered during revision so that worked out nicely. My only worry tho is that since the topics are so straightforward it'll be harder to get a decent grade so fingers crossed the examiner vibes with my paper

55232Jeremy

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
Surprisingly easy, considering i didn't put as much effort into English as much as I wanted to ahah.

Section A and B were pretty straight forward as VCAA gave pretty sexy prompts. However, I feel like I went overboard with the inclusion of symbols/literary/film techniques. Can never be a bad thing though, right? 

Section C was kind of dreadful and surprised they only included one text to analyse!, went into too much detail at the end and ended up wasting 15 minutes of my time which I planned to dedicate to section A, thus I had to rush it afterwards >:(

However, I give this exam a solid 7/10. Hoping for at least two 7's to pave my way to a potential 35 study score.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:51:23 pm by 55232Jeremy »

ATAR_SLAYER

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »
9/10 overall.

Felt as though Section A and Section B went very well. The choice of only one text for Section C was a bit of a surprise, and kind of threw me off though.

Also, just wondering, what sort of study score I would be looking at after today's exam:
- Ranked top 10 in strong cohort (30% of students usually get above a 40), with an average SAC score of 96%
- Around a 54/60 on the exam

steenasonson21

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 06:02:18 pm »
How picky are the examiners about visuals...I might have forgotten to analyze one of them but I had a reasonably strong analysis. Would I be having false hope for a 8 out of 10?  :-[
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:04:01 pm by steenasonson21 »

Genshai

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 06:07:15 pm »
How picky are the examiners about visuals...I might have forgotten to analyze one of them but I had a reasonably strong analysis. Would I be having false hope for a 8 out of 10?  :-[

from what i've heard from past examiners, you only have to examine one. so you should be fine?
2019: Biology [40]
2020: English [35], Methods [27], Art [36], Revs [38], Chem [29]

ATAR: 87.85