Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:40:44 pm

Author Topic: penelope's (attempt at a) VCE journal  (Read 32665 times)

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
Re: penelope's (attempt at a) VCE journal
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2021, 07:34:01 pm »
+8
Before I start this I should add: I am immensely grateful to all the bean messages I got from everyone else journaling. It's so lovely to be a part of this community and even though I rarely contribute to other people's journals anymore, ghost reading them gives me a little bit of hope. Especially WingDings. Thanks for existing WingDings, who is Barracking, and also Obamaing for me. I president of the universe for you too.

Year 12, Episode 12: Should I even post this?

I have taken to doing anything but thinking about the exam at hand after I complete one. I made the dire mistake of watching the Worm’s academy solutions to the Methods Exam after I completed mine, somewhat confidently. Never again.
It’s been a strange time. Never in my whole VCE career, with all my complex number skills would I have imagined myself like this before the exam.
I’m not saying I don’t study. I put in a decent amount of work for each exam, and despite the dip in my brain function I do feel like the graph has a slightly positive gradient and I’m recovering the mental capacity to process a question, link it to pre existing knowledge and command my fingers to move in the writing motion. Which is significant progress from just three weeks ago, when my capacity was limited to containing the explosion of screeches inside my chest every time I sat at my desk.
I’m not too used to using watches or clocks, but there is one on my bedroom wall. Just a few days after the UCAT, it ran out of battery. For a while I would see it shake a little; sometimes if the wind pushed the battery a little the seconds arm would express a few quivers. Everyday was 10 am. I found it oddly poetic, to stare at how time had just stopped as the bane of my existence was dwelling on one moment. I never bothered changing it.

I replaced the battery last week. It was odd to see it moving. Time ticks by regardless of whether my clock holds it accountable. Now wouldn’t that have been an existential interpretation on the GAT’s writing tasks.
I’m not saying I don’t study. I do, but I’m just calm. Weirdly calm. I remember getting home from Biology last year, hayfever ridden, nose snorting tears and eyes puffy. I redid that entire exam and marked it with the solutions to multiple choice from some atarnotes post.

Forget Biology. That was last year. Even this year, I’d walk into a SAC, not breathing enough. Graphing for Methods SAC 1 was a task, my hands would shake so much my parabolas looked like furry necklaces. I would get up really early, sacrificing sleep for SACs. And it paid off, I’m not gonna lie. That first half of the  year I was a good 90s student, minus a little less for spesh. I was down that route to a 99 ATAR, which was the ultimate validation of my self worth. Or perhaps my gateway into Medicine.

It’s weird to think about that now. It mesmerises me how obsessed humans are with numbers. The existential crisis of generally existing is so intense people like to have some way of quantifying things. The reward of a mark not being in understanding the question and even solving it successfully, but in answering it as a decimal rather than an exact value. Little details to trip you up. And I admire people that do well, that are excelling at VCE. It’s not easy, it takes a lot of work. I’m just reflecting on how much value we’ve put into numbers.

I completed English Language. It was a bit of a pain, I really enjoyed the subject. I’m gonna miss it a lot, and my teacher and I were good pals so it was sad to see it get done. Section A and C were okay, but I did have a bit of a confusion moment in the middle of Section B. I realised this as I was writing the last few sentences and had the biggest urge to cross everything out and restart. But I kept writing and allowed the words to  flow out of my pen. When the exam was done, I did not think about it, and I did not care. I walked out, eliminating any bad memory I had of the exam, ready to go home and sleep. Despite the thunderstorms that night, I slept okay.

And same with Methods. All year I was obsessed with the marks and grading and how my SACs would scale. I walked out of both exams having left a few bits blank, and that’s okay. I didn’t feel guilty. I didn’t feel ashamed of it either. When a fellow friend asked how much I was aiming for and I said “I just want to survive”, I meant it. She rolled her eyes and she didn’t believe me (which I’m not surprised given that I smell like ATARcalculator) but I meant it. I was glad I finished a subject.

The first Methods lesson I had was back in 2019, when I was in Year 10. Our teacher wanted us to understand why the subject was relevant, so he started with an application question. Draw a rectangle, then cut out 4 equally sized squares from each corner? What’s the volume? He said that was the first application maths question he’d done at high school and went down a tangent about Van Gogh, whom he was obsessed with. 

Going through that first question on my exam, I could just hear his voice and the lecture on Van Gogh’s amazingness. It was soothing to solve for things, slightly worrying when my CAS gave a weird solution and I had to skip spots, but I wasn’t fussed. When the invigilator said pens down, I was calm. I felt okay. I gave it my best shot. I survived. And the same for Spesh. It’s okay not to get 40s for everything. ATAR is perhaps a shortcut into different uni pathways, but it’s also not worth more than my sanity.

I had a lengthy conversation with my parents about doing Medicine and doing well. Given my constant breakdowns they kept asking why I was pushing myself so much, so I kind of broke at one point and said “well you want me to do med and that costs a soul and a half”.

And turns out… they don’t care?

I’ll be honest, I love Medicine and the prospect of being a doctor, but as you’ve probably seen from the VTAC prefs, it’s not my only passion. I love helping people, that’s my thing, but Med isn’t the only place where that’s achievable. A big incentive in the Med pref was the fact that I thought it would please them. My parents are very lovely people and they don’t ever directly put pressure on me, but, growing up I did feel culturally and emotionally conditioned into thinking the only way to feel validated that I’ve pleased them was by doing Medicine.

They said my cultural conditioning was my own biased perception of what they wanted from me; they said they just want me to “be happy, but with pragmatic choices”. And I cannot express how badly I needed to hear that. I need to be putting in my best work, and then I can work with where that takes me ATAR wise. And sometimes, best work is not just waking up at 4am to do practice exams for Spesh. Sometimes it’s sleeping a full 9 hours and recovering my brain from all the churning I’ve put it through.

I’m just surviving these four more days, two more exams and then I can get on with my bucket list and finally start to live decently.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:38:39 pm by dedformed »
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

dedformed

• Trendsetter
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2021, 01:18:49 pm »
+10
Year 12, Episode 13: Time flew?

Hello YA BEANZ

Firstly, I'd like to start with an exclamation.
AJAVNJNGJGRNIOEGIENOEBNJBN!
(yes, I'm one of those people that type this^ as an explanation. I let my fingers dance over the keyboard and do a strange break dance, expressing an emotion words simply cannot articulate. It's not the jrwnjwrbbv itself, it's the sporadic movements of my angry fingers in unison, coming together as sort of an artwork. It's sjgbwrjgbvwbj it's an emotion. It's the jitter you feel in your brain before you smack yourself into a pillow or slam your desk with frustration. Or idk what else people do when they're frustrated. Like making moaning sounds at the back of the class but let's leave that to Year 9. Yes, let's leave that to year 9.)

Anyway, I digress.

JEFJEBJEBBEFHB!
I'm done. MOST PEOPLE ARE DONE (or will be, this week). Guys, give yourself an aggressive, non bruise leaving pat on the back. We're here. We're safe. We're sound. Someone on reddit said "left a two year toxic relationship" and I couldn't relate more. VCE has been such a pain. It's been that bit of food stuck between your molars that's hurting but you cant take it out. It's been that annoying girl that keeps shipping me with my crush in front of him even though it clearly makes both of us uncomfortable. It's been that guy that keeps sending me yo mama jokes even though I've told him it's not my type of humour. It's been a massive pimple on the back, it's been wet socks, it's been a stub on the toe, a step on a charger, a cracked new phone. It's being unemployed and having nothing to do.

And it's done.

We popped the pimple. We told our crush we like them (perhaps got rejected), and shipping girl can now shush. We dated Shrek (he's 31). We blocked the inappropriate meme guy and changed socks. We flossed. We got a part time job (I still cant believe they hired me lol). We got a new phone (or actually, that one seems promising because my current phone looks more like a mosaic).

And now here we are, stomach still sour from yesterday's eating out. Sitting on our bed, reflecting on how it all blurred past. Year 10 and Bio/ Methods 1/2, then last year with EI and Bio and this year. How I was gonna do Legal Studies. How I wanted to do Med (and perhaps, still would). How I started with History and Philosophy of science. There were so many ideals in my brain about how I would go. What I would look like at 18, and how I would act. I'd never cry. I'd have it together. I'd know how to tie my laces in the first attempt. I'd know how to cook. I'd be amazing at Spesh. I'd be volunteering here and there.

And perhaps, that fictional Penelope, she's somewhere inside me. I am not her, but she's my asymptote. And I don't mind approaching her forever and not hitting that perfect mark. It's okay. I did what I could, in this year too. We all did our best. It's a lot of hard work, a little bit of circumstance, a little bit of luck. I don't know if you believe in that, but I do. I bunged in my best run on the track. But regardless of whether I came first or not, I ran. We ran together. It's important to acknowledge that.

My brother thinks I've turned into a grandma. He had his selective entry exam yesterday, and I was all on about a parallel rant, telling him he did his best. And I'm sure he did. Sometimes, our best is cramming the week before the test. Sometimes it's studying for months. I'm not encouraging procrastination, but procrastinating is a part of the marathon. Our brains aren't machines, and we shouldn't treat them like they are.

And in fact, I don't mind. In fact, I like the idea of being a grandma. Like one of those really nice women on the bus that call you "darling". Like the nurse that calls you "honey". Those women with big bosoms and a warm hug (having both of those would be nice haha, but I'm aiming at describing the nice vibe). The maternal, loving, comforting, warming nature of being an old lady. And most importantly, the wisdom that everyone does it differently. Sometimes we get sad because we're not meeting expectations. Sometimes we get rejected, whether that's by cute boi or the "no for Bachelor of Medicine/ Bachelor of Surgery" from UoAdelaide (LOL, why does it say it like that "no for"...? I'm surprised cute boi from Chemistry is more polite at rejecting me than UoA. But that's okay *sobs*). Sometimes the Spesh exam 2 feels like I'm gonna score 20%. But sometimes, we get things the way we like. Apply for one job at a place close to home, and next day they say "you're lucky, we're short on staff and your experience matches this role" even though everyone else's been job hunting for months, and you only applied for five or six places. Mama hugs you even though your room stinks and your brother doesn't reply "shut up" when you hug him before his test. That kind of grandma wisdom is a nice card to have up your sleeve. I dont mind it at all.

So what are we doing next?

Good question.

At least I've got a job to tend to.

But I'm also doing a coupla other things that've been on my bucket list that kept me going during exams.

0. Clean my room and peel off all the VCE content from my walls. This felt as good as removing a pore strip. Heck yeah!

1. Donate blood (I DID IT! GUYS, it's SO EASY to donate blood. It takes ten minutes. And it feels so good to be helping people that way. And they have good free food!) Check it out here:)

2. Get a job 

3. Some arts and calligraphy and complete some incomplete calligraphy. I've started on this and it's working pretty neat. Just to clarify, just because I do art doesn't mean I'm good at it. But it pleases me. It is cathartic. So why not? Why not bug my mother with "mOMMY loOOK whAT I mADE" and stare as you wonder why she didn't major in drama as she contains her expression cautiously and summons a "it's nice, is that a potato?" and tries not to cry when you tell her it's a self portrait. The whole moment is beautiful.

4. Go out! I've been extremely afraid of being around people for some reason. I wanna get out of that shell and hang out with people hehe. Said yes to one birthday party and feel like cancelling every two hours, but I'm gonna be a brave old lady. We can do this. My friends appreciate me, just as I appreciate them. I'm welcomed. I honour that. I'll be okay in the crowd. It's gonna be fun:)

5. Do a fundraiser. I'm a part of this fundraising organisation and I've done zilch since September and perhaps organising a Trivia or something with the local primary school would be fun? I got a few friends on board so we'll see how that goes hehe! Really looking forward to this!

6. I was gonna do nanowrimo, but I only possess the writing skills, not the creativity or the commitment to a proper story.

7. Figure out my final order of VTAC preferences and not go on atarcalculator more often than I pee- I've been mildly successful at this and keep switching around the spesh study score from low 20s to 30 haha, and watching it make literally no difference to my ATAR. I'll be okay. I've been drinking more water as well so that I pee more often and follow this rule. Sorry if that's TMI but this far into my journal this shouldn't be news. About ordering VTAC prefs, now that I know for sure Monash Med (and most likely, interstate Med) isn't happening I need to carefully order my preferences. I'll do that a little bit later, after my brain's had a proper cool down from the hell that VCE has been.

Congratulations guys! We made it!

VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2021, 02:10:46 pm »
+6
Congratulations Penelope! The bandaid is off and gone for good!
You've worked hard, and definitely deserve a gooooooood long rest and also celebration. Also congrats on the job!
I'm excited to see what you get up to next (:

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2021, 03:08:05 pm »
+4
Congrats Penelope, on finishing year 12 and getting a job! Embrace and enjoy those holidays  8)!!
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

dedformed

• Trendsetter
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2021, 09:42:45 am »
+7

Year 12, Episode 14: how?

Helloo guyyss

I'm living on 3 hours of sleep and my body is absolutely exhausted from not being able to sleep all night, thanks to a racing heart and my wild imagination about all the possible anagrams of 69.96 I could get for my ATAR.

I did well. I was expecting mid to high 97s, 98 if I was too lucky.

So I am grateful. A friend asked why I am grateful? It was my work and my effort? I should be proud?

And indeed I am proud, I did not imagine I'd do better than the cousin my parents always compare me to. But I am grateful. I am grateful to my parents who didn't push me more than I could bare. For lovely teachers. For good health. For getting through this very, very messy year, and somehow surviving it when so many things could have taken a bad turn. I am grateful.

Anyway, for the interesting part.

Y'allz. I did it. After UCAT I realised Med is very unlikely, and I need 93 for Monash Guarantee Radiography, so I didnt really care tooo much for atar because 97 ish seemed doable. The only thing that mattered to me was my lang grade because boi I worked my butt off and I loved it so much. I couldnt even get myself to throw my book away. I keep staring at the pages and pages of writing, admiring how much love and affection I gave this subject.

Anyway, I got a 45 in Lang. I'm really happy with that.

Other things went:

Lang 45
Methods:39
Chem: 40
Spec: 33 (lol? I thought I did much, much worse on that second exam loool)

But anyway that comes together to:

A 98.85!

And I am really happy because it made my parents smile and my mum was on the aunties group chat and someone assumed my atar was her fever temperature because she was talking about medicine, lmao, very epic moment.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and get some sleep and perhaps come back with a clearer mind to share a proper reflection.

Everyone, good job. It's been a tough, tough year. But we did it! Give yourself a rest and a pat on the back.

Take care:)
Nelopeepee cuz peepee is funny
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2021, 09:46:08 am »
+3
Congrats Penelope, an amazing result you've earned it!
Enjoy the rest of your summer break, wishing you all the best for your future endeaovurs!
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2021, 09:51:55 am »
+2
I logged in after a whole year just to say YOU DID AMAZING and I’m happy that I’ve been following your journey from the start!! Rest up and have an amazing summer :)))
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

bluebird

• Forum Regular
  • (she/her)
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2021, 10:09:39 am »
+1
Your journey has been incredible to read and you should be so proud of this result!!!! Congratulations penelope and enjoy not having to think about VCE again!! Good luck with your post VCE journey I'm sure you won't need it tho :D
VCE 2021: Biology | HHD [50]
VCE 2022: Methods | Chemistry | Literature | English Language

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2021, 10:10:44 am »
+1
Huge congratulations Penelope! So amazing– make sure you celebrate !!!

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2021, 10:40:55 am »
+1
Congrats Nelope! What an incredible feat :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2021, 11:27:42 am »
+1
I'm so happy for you!!!! Congratulations, that's an awesome score!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2021, 11:48:25 am »
+1
A massive CONGRATULATIONS Penelope!!!! Amazing scores!!
I wish you all the best for the future!  ;D

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2021, 11:49:11 am »
+1
Nice one Penelope! All the best for the future!

wingdings2791

• Trendsetter
  • I'm going back to the start
  • Respect: +108
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2021, 11:57:17 am »
+1
Hey Penelope!!

I want to say the
BIGGEST
CONGRATULATIONS

on your truly amazing results!!! We all knew you could do it and it’s just incredible to see your hard work and big brain pay off big time. You’ve really been a source of inspiration to all of us on AN and deserve nothing short of phenomenal.

<333
ATAR: 99.75
UCAT: 95th

2022-2025: B. Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »
+1
Congratulations! What an absolutely fantastic score! So we’ll deserved for all the hard work you’ve put in. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed lurking here and reading your journal this year. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Also the spec study scores were wild. I feel like I didn’t answer enough of that second exam to get anything remotely good but with scaling… wow!

Best of luck with whatever you end up doing next year (whether it be ned or radiography or something else). Hope you’ve got a big rest and lots of celebrating planned!