Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:23:01 pm

Author Topic: What it's like studying Communications at UTS  (Read 20702 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
What it's like studying Communications at UTS
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:10:28 am »
+7
I started studying at UTS in 2016, enrolled in a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) and a Bachelor of International Studies. I withdrew from a Bachelor of International Studies and now, I just do a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism).

Bachelor of Communications:
2016 is the first year that this course is offered as a Bachelor of Communications and not a Bachelor of Arts (Communications). This means that the second major is an option! Through UAC, you apply for one major (that’s the thing in brackets after Communications). If you choose to enter the second major, you first have to obtain a GPA of 3.5 or higher in your first year.
The course structure for the first year involves doing three subjects per semester: core communications, your major, and a stream choice elective.

Core communications:
In the first semester this was Citizenship and Communication and in second semester this was Digital Literacy (the first time this subject has run). Core communications is completed by every comms student – no matter if you’re a journalism student or creative writing student. It’s about the way we communicate. To me, it’s kind of a bit of an airy subject, but it’s a nice break from the other tricky stuff. Airey doesn’t mean easy – airy means broad, in this sense.

Your major: My major is Journalism so I studied the subject Stories from the Streets in semester one and Live Action: Multiplatform Journalism in semester two. This is the foundations for beginning the study into your major.

Stream choice elective:   This is probably not the elective you’re thinking of, where you get to choose something quite abstract. This is about choosing a subject from another major – Media and Arts Production, Creative Writing, Social and Political Science, whatever. So you choose a subject from one of those streams. The purpose is twofold. This allows you to get skilled up in another area of Communications, but it also gives you a taste of what you’d like your second major to be, if you wish to do one. I believe that your stream choice elective is supposed to be your second major if you choose to do one, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm arguing with the student centre about that right now. Later on, you get to choose an elective – it might be transnational media, or sex and power, for example.

Journalism:
Journalism is my major and I’m happy to report I made a good decision in choosing it. The first semester is pretty intense, it’s an introverts biggest challenge. You have to interview people from your own area, as well as areas you’ve never been to. I mean, I expected this of the course because I knew Journalism was really hands on at UTS so I was prepared. But many students who have friends who study Journalism at other Unis weren’t so sure about it all, they were expecting to study the theory and history of Journalism, perhaps. Nonetheless, everyone who got through the semester said it was one of the best experiences of their lives and they can’t wait to keep going. We had guest lecturers nearly every week, like the Editor of Huffington Post Australia or the boss at BuzzFeed Australia. On one of my assignments, I met Professor Gillian Triggs, the President of the Australian Human Rights Commission (career goal: unlocked). In all, it was a really great subject. In second semester we did Live Action: Multiplatform Journalism. That was so good. I LOVED IT. It was about the way we use several different platforms to convey meaning. I never thought I’d be using garage band to make a podcast, or iMovie to clip together something I filmed and created. A total noob like me is happy to report back that it pushed me to be more digitally literate than I thought I was. Our final assignment for the year was to create a website, with two social media platforms, and several stories of different formats – all within a theme of our choice. It was a great assignment.

Social and Political Science:
I studied this as my stream choice elective in semester 1 and 2. In semester one, the subject is called Self and Society, and in semester two, it is Politics, Ideologies and Beliefs. The first semester is about identifying various social concepts and forces: gender, race, ethnicity, sex, standpoint theory, so on. It was a really interesting semester. The major assignment was to interview someone older than you (I chose my nana) and then transcribe the interview, and then do a proper analysis of their life according to the various ways they’ve been socially conditioned. In semester two, you look at the ideas of neoliberalism, conservativism, Marxism, environmentalism, etc, etc. For this major assignment, I spent time with an organisation (you could choose any kind of organisation – political, NGO, grass roots, etc) and then analysed exactly how they respond to various social and political ideologies.

The purpose of Social and Political Science is essentially to prepare you for a career or further studies in research. It is very research based, and you do these exercises of research and analysis because they prepare you perfectly for further social or anthropic study.

International Studies:
International Studies compliments a Communications degree by adding two years to the degree’s length. In your fourth year of study – you’ll study abroad for a year. You don’t do any kind of International Studies subjects in your first year – that begins in your second year. You do decide on your country of study and language you wish to study in your first year, but otherwise, nothing happens until your second year.

I enrolled in this and then withdrew. Simply, I started interning at Cosmopolitan Magazine. I realised so quickly that I can’t wait to get into the industry. An extra two years on my degree? It sounded unappealing, especially when I knew I could do a global exchange instead for six months, without adding time to my degree.

Exchange:
On that note, I’m going on exchange next year! I’m going to Venice to live for about 5 months, I’ll study at Ca Foscari (University). Do I speak Italian? Hell no. Am I going to learn it asap? Yes. I’ll start next week. I promise. UTS has a wonderful exchange program – they have so many partner Universities in all corners of the world and they have lots of different scholarships set up (some scholarships pretty well pay for your entire exchange – depending on where you go). The University assists with receiving government loans to make the exchange really accessible to a lot of students.

I’m slowly wading through a lot of paper work, I’ve just submitted the subjects I want to study next year. I’ve applied for accommodation too! Yipppeeee. I’ve applied to study either English language (fine phonetics, grammar, etc) or Venetian culture – so we’ll see how we go!

Trimesters:
There’s a lot of talk about trimesters at UTS. I’m not well versed in it all because it hardly affects me at all, so I’ll kind of just give an outline of what it means to me. Essentially, most Universities do two semesters, of about 15 weeks each (give or take for exam period). UTS has entered their first year of trimesters. The third trimester, I believe, is optional, and is a way of accelerating your degree rather than compulsory to complete it. In turn, the study periods are shorter. Communications isn’t offered in trimesters yet, so I just do two semesters that are 11 weeks long. A lot of people have strong feels about this, because it’s less face-to-face teaching time. I won’t lie, I have no feelings about it, I don’t care. I’m just happy that I spend less time at Uni (I commute 3 hours each time I go to Uni). If I had the longer semester, I wouldn’t have been able to accept a two-week job at Cosmopolitan. The less time at Uni, the more time for work experience, paid work, travel, and interning. Although, it does make it more stressful towards the end of the semester. The way I see it is, nothing will ever be as hard as the HSC. So, trimesters don’t bother me too much but if it is something to be a make or break for you, you should definitely look into it.

Oh, no exams!
If you study Communications at UTS…you have no exams. Think about that: The HSC exams could be your last exams, EVER.

What’s the campus feel?
It’s great, I enjoy it. There are numerous places to sit and study quietly or socially, and there’s always somewhere to charge your phone. I don’t get lost – at all. I know it’s a concern of a lot of people, but I guarantee I was more scared entering Year 7 that I’d get lost, rather than University. Get the Lost on Campus app, you’ll be right.

Otherwise, I love the Uni’s campus. So close to China town, such a close walk from Central Station, so many good places to eat, great coffee…the essentials.

What’s the food like?
Great. China town is so close that Chinese restaurants spill into the UTS area. On campus there are all kinds of food outlets, sushi, Indian, Chinese, burgers, Mexican, salad bars, cafes, you name it. The best value for money meal? $5 pides from the Kebab shop in the Underground. Amazing. HSPs are also good there.

Overall:
I really like UTS, I’m proud of it. I love the Uni, I love the vibes, I love my course, and all of the above. There are lots of societies to be involved with, and admittedly I’m not involved enough. This is purely because I live so far away that I usually miss meetings to save the commute. But, I’m always welcome!

Edit: I didn't mention earlier that the internship/work experience opportunities are huge. Not only can you participate within opportunities within the Uni, but about 2, sometimes 3 or more, times per week, we get emails from the Head of Journalism with all kinds of work experience opportunities. I know that this happens in all the majors, although I can't imagine it happening much more than what it does in Journalism, because it happens A LOT in Journalism!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:30:42 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
  • Respect: 0
Re: What it's like studying Communications at UTS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:30:04 pm »
Thanks once again for doing this Elyse!
I really enjoyed reading it and it definitely answered a lot of the questions that I had although I do have a few that just popped up from reading this. Also the work experience as cosmopolitan sounds amazing! What exactly would it entail?
Firstly how exactly does GPA work? And what exactly is the highest GPA one can get?
Also if I was to do a combined bachelor of law with communication can I still choose a second major in comm (cause I was thinking either journalism or creative writing and social and political science)?
And lastly a major deal breaker for me in choosing a university is their societies/club (I love getting involved). Is there like a list of all the offered societies at UTS somewhere or do you happen to know any societies that are either musical/leadership related?
Thanks again!
Monica  :)  :)
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:12 pm »
Thanks once again for doing this Elyse!
I really enjoyed reading it and it definitely answered a lot of the questions that I had although I do have a few that just popped up from reading this. Also the work experience as cosmopolitan sounds amazing! What exactly would it entail?
Firstly how exactly does GPA work? And what exactly is the highest GPA one can get?
Also if I was to do a combined bachelor of law with communication can I still choose a second major in comm (cause I was thinking either journalism or creative writing and social and political science)?
And lastly a major deal breaker for me in choosing a university is their societies/club (I love getting involved). Is there like a list of all the offered societies at UTS somewhere or do you happen to know any societies that are either musical/leadership related?
Thanks again!

On GPA, it's a really stupid system in my opinion. The Wikipedia Article actually gives a good run down! It looks like at UTS the highest GPA you can get is 4 (it's obtained by considering weighted assignments and stuff, similar to the HSC, unless it works differently at UTS and Elyse can correct me) ;D

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:04 pm »
I have a question! How much do the different majors crossover in Communications? Like are you likely to work with people doing different majors or are they more separate? Hoping to do Media Arts and Production at UTS next year, but I have a couple of friends doing some of the other stuff (not that this is a major issue, just wondering if I'm likely to cross paths with any of them workwise :) )
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:39:16 pm »
Also the work experience as cosmopolitan sounds amazing! What exactly would it entail?
A bit of everything, but mainly helping out the editorial team. So you learn SEO, CMS, Digital rights and publication, occasionally a bit of fashion, sometimes the international rights of the mag, etc :)
I don't believe you can do the second major with law. Nonetheless, you can pretty well do exactly the same course structure as a double major (by choosing the same stream-choice electives over and over) so that you become well versed in another major, without it actually being added to your graduating title.

Thanks again!

Soooo many societies! Societies for everything you can think of! I think USYD is probably most well known for clubs, but UTS certainly has a lot. Like, a lot. They have a GLEE club I noticed the other day, and no doubt lots of film/musical ones (Media and Arts Production is a popular major), and so many leadership opportunities - the SRC, Vertigo Magazine Editorial Team, Student Correspondent to Academics, the lists can go on. I From what I know, most Unis have this society culture, but I can verify that UTS has a looooot. I'm a part of the Journalism Society, the Writer's Society, the Communications Society, the Wom*n's Collective and the Eco-Society, but I don't attend most official things because of my commute, but I always contribute where I can :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
On GPA, it's a really stupid system in my opinion. The Wikipedia Article actually gives a good run down! It looks like at UTS the highest GPA you can get is 4 (it's obtained by considering weighted assignments and stuff, similar to the HSC, unless it works differently at UTS and Elyse can correct me) ;D

Not going to lie - I'm not entirely sure. I know it differs from some Unis because we do three subjects per semester at 8cp each, whereas I think most do 4 subjects at 6cp each? I think I went through this with Brenden one time...

The way I see it is: The GPA is like an ATAR, it's a number calculated by your results, except it is updated each semester, it's not just something you get at the end. You can continually update your GPA :)

I have a question! How much do the different majors crossover in Communications? Like are you likely to work with people doing different majors or are they more separate? Hoping to do Media Arts and Production at UTS next year, but I have a couple of friends doing some of the other stuff (not that this is a major issue, just wondering if I'm likely to cross paths with any of them workwise :) )

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if this is what you are talking about... If they are in different year groups, it's unlikely for the core communications, but likely for other subjects indeed - particularly elective or stream choices. So actually in terms of majors crossing over, well, they don't, you just have the same major subjects that you do sequentially according to the study structure. But, your study structure will likely mean that with your "choice" subjects, that you may overlap with others in this time, in classes. Is this kind of what you're meaning? Sorry if I'm off the mark!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:50 pm »
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if this is what you are talking about... If they are in different year groups, it's unlikely for the core communications, but likely for other subjects indeed - particularly elective or stream choices. So actually in terms of majors crossing over, well, they don't, you just have the same major subjects that you do sequentially according to the study structure. But, your study structure will likely mean that with your "choice" subjects, that you may overlap with others in this time, in classes. Is this kind of what you're meaning? Sorry if I'm off the mark!

Hahaha, I thought what I wrote may have been a little confusing sorry! That's not exactly what I meant. I was at the open day for AFTRS where they mentioned that a lot of the different courses (in their case one degree and then multiple diplomas) often worked together on projects and help each other out a lot, and I was wondering if that kinda stuff happens at UTS as well, like do the journalism students get the media arts and productions students to film stuff for them, etc etc. I hope this makes more sense haha
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:13 pm »
+1
Hahaha, I thought what I wrote may have been a little confusing sorry! That's not exactly what I meant. I was at the open day for AFTRS where they mentioned that a lot of the different courses (in their case one degree and then multiple diplomas) often worked together on projects and help each other out a lot, and I was wondering if that kinda stuff happens at UTS as well, like do the journalism students get the media arts and productions students to film stuff for them, etc etc. I hope this makes more sense haha

Aha! I see! Sorry, I figured that what I answered wasn't right...

Ok, so keep in mind I'm only in my first year so the major projects haven't come up yet. There is definitely a huge amount of respect between the majors, and "extra-curricular" things like the Uni mag (Vertigo), SRC, campaigns, media projects, etc, are all collaborative and the majors work together. I see it on the Communications First Year Facebook Group all the time that people are saying "Here's an opportunity for a MAPs student, I'm considering making a blog, I need a videographer..." Like there is that sort of out-of-class collaboration, but from what I know (and like I said, the major projects of final year haven't touched me yet) there isn't integration of the majors, only in the Core Communications classes in your first two years where you have all the majors mushed in together for that subject :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 11:52:19 pm »
I also forgot to mention that at least twice per week, sometimes up to 6 times a week, we get emails with internship opportunities. I meant it when I said they are very hands on and career focused!  :D

I'll add this to the main post now :)

Annie98

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Cheltenham
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 05:27:14 am »
Thank you Elyse :)! This article gave me a great insight into what life might be like as a communications student at UTS :) Thanks for being so honest about your experience!
As for assignments, how difficult have they been? Apparently the lecturers give you a new "story" on a day and you are expected to write about it and send it in that same day. That sounds reallllyyy daunting, how did you feel about it? :)

Thanks!! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 09:12:08 am »
Thank you Elyse :)! This article gave me a great insight into what life might be like as a communications student at UTS :) Thanks for being so honest about your experience!
As for assignments, how difficult have they been? Apparently the lecturers give you a new "story" on a day and you are expected to write about it and send it in that same day. That sounds reallllyyy daunting, how did you feel about it? :)

Thanks!! :)
Ha! That's News Day! That's for first year, first semester, Journalism students. The basis of it is, you set aside a day in "news week" where you are dedicating yourself entirely to the assignment. You get to Uni at 7am, and then you are allocated a location and an event, you need to go there, find a news story, and submit it by 7pm. It sounds crazy, and that's because it is! But I met Gillian Triggs at mine, I went to the Human Rights Commission and listened in on an FGM conference and it was so good! I know that finding a story sounds difficult, but you've already done at least two assignments by now, so you know how to find stories quite well. And if you don't perform on news day well, it's ok, because they take the best mark out of that or another assignment to decide the best mark to submit for your grade. At the end of News Day, everyone was amazed at what they'd produced and couldn't believe that they'd done something so crazy, so successfully.

The first semester of Journalism is definitely the hardest, it gets better :) I felt like I was constantly submitting things in the first semester, and that's just because they did a bunch of check points for everything so that everyone passed. You're more on your own in the second semester, but it feels right and well adjusted :)

Blissfulmelodii

• Trendsetter
  • "Mistakes are proof that you are trying!"
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 09:50:07 am »
A bit of everything, but mainly helping out the editorial team. So you learn SEO, CMS, Digital rights and publication, occasionally a bit of fashion, sometimes the international rights of the mag, etc :)I don't believe you can do the second major with law. Nonetheless, you can pretty well do exactly the same course structure as a double major (by choosing the same stream-choice electives over and over) so that you become well versed in another major, without it actually being added to your graduating title.

Soooo many societies! Societies for everything you can think of! I think USYD is probably most well known for clubs, but UTS certainly has a lot. Like, a lot. They have a GLEE club I noticed the other day, and no doubt lots of film/musical ones (Media and Arts Production is a popular major), and so many leadership opportunities - the SRC, Vertigo Magazine Editorial Team, Student Correspondent to Academics, the lists can go on. I From what I know, most Unis have this society culture, but I can verify that UTS has a looooot. I'm a part of the Journalism Society, the Writer's Society, the Communications Society, the Wom*n's Collective and the Eco-Society, but I don't attend most official things because of my commute, but I always contribute where I can :)

That sounds awesome! How can I get involved in the work experience?
Thanks for answering my questions btw they really helped! I'm so glad that there are a lot of societies and all the ones you mentioned definitely fit with my interests.
Does UTS do o-week? And if so what's that like and do they give you a run down on the structure of uni (like how semester and such work)?
Thanks
Monica
--HSC subjects--
Music 1 | Biology | Society and Culture | Spanish Beginners | Math ext 1 & 2 | English Advanced | English ext 1 & 2

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 12:03:27 pm »
That sounds awesome! How can I get involved in the work experience?
Thanks for answering my questions btw they really helped! I'm so glad that there are a lot of societies and all the ones you mentioned definitely fit with my interests.
Does UTS do o-week? And if so what's that like and do they give you a run down on the structure of uni (like how semester and such work)?
Thanks
Monica

Yep they do O-Week! It's actually two weeks at the start of the year. It's pretty intense, you can sign up for whatever you like, there are workshops that are introductions to your subjects, workshops about academic conduct, workshops on academic writing, workshops on mental health at Uni, etc, etc. The biggest day is in the first week of O Week, and that's when all of the societies and stalls set up and you pick up a million free things and trust me, you've never seen UTS SOOOO CROWDED. Every single first year is there on that day, plus hundreds of other students already in Uni. There's one compulsory O Week workshop, from memory, which is a welcome to UTS, this is how Uni works, etc. I thought it was pretty good tbh.

I've PMed you about work experience :)

jarin_

• Adventurer
  • School: mfis
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »
Hey Elyse, I'm seriously considering UTS Comms for next year, as I'm really interested in working for nonprofits and other organisations in the future, but I'm not sure if my writing skills are good enough for it. How difficult did you find first year and what kind & level of skills do you think are highly necessary to achieve good marks?
Also are they any internships for the holidays still available?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 09:00:41 pm »
Hey Elyse, I'm seriously considering UTS Comms for next year, as I'm really interested in working for nonprofits and other organisations in the future, but I'm not sure if my writing skills are good enough for it. How difficult did you find first year and what kind & level of skills do you think are highly necessary to achieve good marks?
Also are they any internships for the holidays still available?
Judging by the face that you strung a few coherent sentences together here, I'm sure with a lot of hard work you would be capable of getting excellent marks in first-year uni :)

Someone with extremely high-level writing skills could probably smash out an essay in 3 days, edit it on the 4th, and get an HD in first-year.

But if you lack those skills and aren't the best writer, nothing's stopping you from spending many hours over a 2-week period writing and editing your essay. This is the experience of most people getting good grades in uni, from what I can glean talking to people etc. :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️