Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:45:35 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750319 times)  Share 

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2655 on: October 16, 2021, 02:05:57 pm »
Can someone tell me why distance is a continuous variable? In 2016 vcaa sample exam 1 (question 4), the distance was recorded to the nearest tenth (?) of a kilometre e.g. 4.2, 0.8, 3.9 however this did not count as a discrete variable and I don't understand why? I thought that the type of variable depends on HOW it's recorded and not the nature of the variable itself. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2656 on: October 16, 2021, 02:10:06 pm »
Looking for sols or answers for Further Maths NHT 2021   Anyone?

Hey, not sure if you're already aware of this but they recently uploaded the examiner's reports
https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/assessment/vce-assessment/past-examinations/NHT-past-exams/Pages/NHT-past-exams.aspx

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2657 on: October 16, 2021, 02:41:54 pm »
also can someone help me with this question? the answer is D but (5, 3) lies on the line y = 8 - x. If the max occurs at this point wouldn't all the other integer points on this line also be a solution?

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #2658 on: October 16, 2021, 03:02:51 pm »
+3
The solution is the last point on the boundary of the feasible region (given by the points in the first sentence below the graph) to touch the sliding line or where you substitute the points into the formula and get the largest value of Z.

working through the options- using corner point principle here for efficiency
A. (1,5) - using corner point principle - Z = 17
B. (3,4) - Z = 18
C. (4,4) - Z = 20
D. (5, 3) - Z = 19
E. (6, 2) - Z = 18

However, (4,4) lies outside the feasible region. Moving to the second highest point, (5, 3) lies on the feasible region, therefore the answer is D.

Edit: didn't see this question

Can someone tell me why distance is a continuous variable? In 2016 vcaa sample exam 1 (question 4), the distance was recorded to the nearest tenth (?) of a kilometre e.g. 4.2, 0.8, 3.9 however this did not count as a discrete variable and I don't understand why? I thought that the type of variable depends on HOW it's recorded and not the nature of the variable itself. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Discrete = can be counted (e.g. number of steps walked)
Continuous = can be measured

With the unit of kilometers, it can be measured (as a bit of a silly example, you can get a really long ruler and measure the distance).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:19:12 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2659 on: October 17, 2021, 12:48:37 pm »
Hi what study score am i likely to get with these scores
93/100 sac prob around rank 5-10
40/40 exam 1
58/60 exam 2

VCEStudent2034

• Trendsetter
  • ‘Believe you can and you’re halfway there.’ - T.R.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2660 on: October 17, 2021, 12:58:50 pm »
40/40 exam 1
58/60 exam 2
Hi tannicholas!

Just wondering, what were your SAC averages for Unit 3 and 4 separately?

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2661 on: October 17, 2021, 01:50:15 pm »
Edit: didn't see this question
Discrete = can be counted (e.g. number of steps walked)
Continuous = can be measured

With the unit of kilometers, it can be measured (as a bit of a silly example, you can get a really long ruler and measure the distance).

Hope this helps.

Thanks! But what about height to the nearest cm? or weight to the nearest kg? you're technically still "measuring" these values but it's discrete...(a bit silly that I'm struggling with this haha but I wanna make sure I understand it properly)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:51:50 pm by valjaybj »

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2662 on: October 17, 2021, 02:08:28 pm »
Thanks! But what about height to the nearest cm? or weight to the nearest kg? you're technically still "measuring" these values but it's discrete...(a bit silly that I'm struggling with this haha but I wanna make sure I understand it properly)

Hi,

I can be wrong but it does not matter if it says "nearest Kg" or "nearest cm" it would still be continuous. As the person earlier said Discrete is counting. In this case you are measuring someone weight thus it has to still be continuous does not matter if it is full number or in decimal.
2021 VCE- English, Math Method, Further Math,Accounting and Economics

2022-2026 Bachelors in Business (Taxation) and Accounting in Monash

valjaybj

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2663 on: October 17, 2021, 02:41:52 pm »
Hi,

I can be wrong but it does not matter if it says "nearest Kg" or "nearest cm" it would still be continuous. As the person earlier said Discrete is counting. In this case you are measuring someone weight thus it has to still be continuous does not matter if it is full number or in decimal.

Yeah ig that makes sense aHH but my teachers said it'd be discrete ://

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2664 on: October 17, 2021, 02:53:07 pm »
Hi tannicholas!

Just wondering, what were your SAC averages for Unit 3 and 4 separately?
It was 93 for both units.

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2665 on: October 17, 2021, 03:24:40 pm »

Hi,

I do not think it would be discrete, you should ask your teacher why they feel it would be discrete.  As discrete is counting. I do not think we count weight or height. Just ask them the reason for it. Or ask other people in your class about it.

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2666 on: October 17, 2021, 04:23:26 pm »
+2
Hi,

As I posted above earlier, classifications of data is relative to how the data is recorded. Statements like "weight and height are always continuous because you measure it" are misleading. The same quantity / variable can be any of the four types, depending on how it is measured / or how the data is recorded. I suppose the only thing that could be said is that weight / height / distance are continuous if no information about how they are recorded is given, then perhaps it might be implied that they are being recorded in the most precise way possible.

For instance, take distance.
(1) If measured in cm with infinite precision - ie, if conceivably you could record a value of 3.1415926... - then it is continuous.
(2) If measured in cm but rounded to the nearest whole number - ie. only numbers like 2, 6, 11, 13 etc are recorded in your data - then it is discrete.
(3) If recorded as "really short", "short", "long", "really long" then it is categorical ordinal.
(4) Silly example, but if recorded as "exhausting" "fun" "satisfying", then it is categorical nominal.

VCAA exam questions will always specify how the data is recorded.

A good example of this is 2017 Exam 1, Question 7, where students had to classify the variable number of moths, which is being recorded as "less than 250", "250-500", or "more than 500". 36% of students incorrectly classified this as numerical when in fact it is ordinal (the possible data values "less than 250", "250-500", or "more than 500" are not numerical values, they are categories with an implied ranking).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:29:10 pm by S_R_K »

tannicholas

• Adventurer
« Reply #2667 on: October 17, 2021, 04:36:55 pm »
I've had a similar question about petrol prices
The question went like this, "is petrol prices discrete or continuous?"

I knew that petrol prices were rounded to 2 d.p because the previous bit of that question said so.  The petrol price is rounded to a terminating decimal and therefore discrete is the correct.

Continuous also doesn't exclusively mean can be measured. It just means that the value of something can change continuously as the word suggests and that the decimal doesn't terminate. 

VCEStudent2034

• Trendsetter
  • ‘Believe you can and you’re halfway there.’ - T.R.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2668 on: October 17, 2021, 04:40:01 pm »
40/40 exam 1
58/60 exam 2
Amazing scores! You’re looking at around a 48 raw (and scaled), but, as I always say, it really depends on your rank and overall strength of the cohort. All the best for the exams!

Commercekid2050

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2669 on: October 17, 2021, 04:42:35 pm »
As I posted above earlier, classifications of data is relative to how the data is recorded. Statements like "weight and height are always continuous because you measure it" are misleading. The same quantity / variable can be any of the four types, depending on how it is measured / or how the data is recorded. I suppose the only thing that could be said is that weight / height / distance are continuous if no information about how they are recorded is given, then perhaps it might be implied that they are being recorded in the most precise way possible.

For instance, take distance.
(1) If measured in cm with infinite precision - ie, if conceivably you could record a value of 3.1415926... - then it is continuous.
(2) If measured in cm but rounded to the nearest whole number - ie. only numbers like 2, 6, 11, 13 etc are recorded in your data - then it is discrete.
(3) If recorded as "really short", "short", "long", "really long" then it is categorical ordinal.
(4) Silly example, but if recorded as "exhausting" "fun" "satisfying", then it is categorical nominal.

VCAA exam questions will always specify how the data is recorded.

A good example of this is 2017 Exam 1, Question 7, where students had to classify the variable number of moths, which is being recorded as "less than 250", "250-500", or "more than 500". 36% of students incorrectly classified this as numerical when in fact it is ordinal (the possible data values "less than 250", "250-500", or "more than 500" are not numerical values, they are categories with an implied ranking).

Yeah I agree. It is also related to the question. As true in some cases age could be "age 4 and before, 4 to 8 and 8 or above". Yeah. I mean when it is for sure numerical one.  Like how if it says height or weight.